Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone a warranty claim denied due to non-EPA mods

Old 12-01-2018, 12:52 AM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Deleted by moderator.

Last edited by Pine Tree; 12-01-2018 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Contains political content.
The following users liked this post:
CSMHOG (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 03:12 AM
STRADALE
Cruiser

Deleted by moderator.

Last edited by Pine Tree; 12-01-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Contains polictical content.
CSMHOG (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 05:46 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 2,613 Posts

We certainly have some long form writers on the forum.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So, we’re 2 models years into the post EPA ruling. I think we all know what the warranty description is. But, I’m curious what the actual history has been.

Has anyone had a warranty claim denied, due to non EPA compliant modifications? If so, let us know the details:
- what was the failure that was denied warranty coverage?
- what was the modification to your M8 bike that caused the warranty to be denied?

I created a thread just like this about a year ago. And this is exactly how mine went. Turned into a discussion about what the warranty says or doesn't say.

Seems your thread is headed down the same path. Never got good definitive results in mine either.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:10 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Not sure how this turned so political. I’m also interested in this question. My ESP contract clearly states that installation of non-EPA compliant parts will void the entire warranty. The guys at the dealership say the ESP people don’t ask questions and not to worry about it. They didn’t put that in writing. I prefer to err on the side of caution since the warranty company did put their position in writing. Either I leave it stock or prepare myself to have my warranty voided. I really don’t expect to need the warranty but who ever knows? As much as I ride the bike will be pushing 60k when the warranty runs out,

Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Bottom line is any aftermarket product that skirts factory EPA mandates is grounds for denial. This will a battle that will run long & hard in coming years, 2017 regulations changed the game rules wise.
FYI, if by "2017 Regulations" you mean the Consent Decree signed between the EPA and HD in Aug 2016, then the requirements of the Consent Decree regarding tuners expires when the Consent Decree expires. The current HD-EPA Consent Agreement expires Aug 2020 (4yrs).

At that time, the penalties and requirements to void warranties for "knowledge of non-epa tuners being installed on a 2017 or later bike" will no longer exist. HD will likely still use knowledge of a non-epa tuner on a bike as grounds for voiding the drivetrain warranty BUT, there will be no fines and penalties from the EPA as a part of the Consent Decree if they wish to make exceptions or even limit the voiding to less than the entire drivetrain.

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-01-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,199 Likes on 11,126 Posts

What the heck did some of you guys post that resulted in deletion by a moderator?

Anyhow...without debate...who has had their warranty denied for non EPA modifications? This includes tuners, headlines, slip ons, Air cleaner, etc.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Stingray702
Road Master
Received 486 Likes on 240 Posts

What the heck did some of you guys post that resulted in deletion by a moderator?

Anyhow...without debate...who has had their warranty denied for non EPA modifications? This includes tuners, headlines, slip ons, Air cleaner, etc.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing!

Eccool (12-31-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

My 2006 Streetglide ate the inner cam bearings at 31k in 2010. I had HD's extended warranty which is subcontracted out
and the rep looked my bike over, saw the PC III usb on it and denied my claim. Had an friend/attorney write a letter but it was a
waste of time and he told me so up front.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser

Most of those deleted posts were mine. I posted about the EPA/consent decree, emissions equipment, political climates regarding EPA regulations under different administrations,,, guess I really got under someone’s skin & got told on aka ratted out by a so called “biker” on a Harley forum! LoL! It is kinda funny though.... Didn’t even realize the mention of regulation policies & politics relevant to a discussion about epa/government rulings on emissions equipment was a violation of the TOS?

The PM I received from a moderator:
Originally Posted by XXXX-XXXX
Please refrain from including any political content in any post not in the POD section of the forum.

Thanks,
XXXX-XXXX

Anywho doesn’t matter,,,,,, if message boards are like some say; a breeding grounds for “over-reporting problems”, doesn’t appear like warranty denial is a big one & regulations like this one will continue to ease w/ the new EPA chief, thank God! Sucks for anyone that lost/will lose their warranty though & Harley was unfairly targeted, don’t blame the MoCo though, the AMA & the MoCo obviously wasn’t in favor of being hammered like this by the EPA & it’s the customers that actually lose out. I know I’ll continue to remove bs emissions equipment & tune my bikes the way I see fit regardless..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone a warranty claim denied due to non-EPA mods