Sponsored by:

Has anyone a warranty claim denied due to non-EPA mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Look,,, the thread is going nowhere.

We know of two maybe three M8 owners that have lost their power train warranty on this board. I know of 7 owners that have lost their power train warranty at my dealer alone. Five of them I have met, shook hands with and had a coffee or beer with and have seen the paper work. Two other local junk Tulsa dealers that lie about everything concerning HD but can't cover up knock down drag outs over HD warranty case's being taken. As far as I know both of the worthless Tulsa Dealers have had at least two warranties taken and the police were involved in one each per dealer that I know of. And either the dealer drops charges sucking the business interest or the Cops/Da don't file. Let them settle it in civil court.

Bottom Line: I hate to point this out. But our full membership is but a fraction of M8 owners. Do I need to extrapolate that number? In my group of gents I've known since grade school.... Six of us bought early M8's. Five of my buddies were early adopters of the M8. I rode some of their bikes before I bought mine 12/31/16. I'm the only one that still owns there M8. Whats left of my factory warranty ends the 12/31. None of them own there M8 HD's anymore. And they took a beating to rid themselves of the problem. Truth is,, it's resale is that of a junker Chevy Cruze. I knew from a money and ownership stance I had really screwed up buying a Harley six months after purchase when they showed up in Honda dealers at half what I paid cash money for on mine.

So give it up trying to find out the truth concerning M8 warranties taken by the idiots in Milwaukee and there *** kissing Obama leadership!

Old 12-29-2018, 07:33 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
Lawyers and the legal mumbo jumbo. It all depends on the definition of "may" or "is".
Sorry, it's a non elected agency making laws that is the real problem. But I won't elaborate further to avoid this being dragged into the POD
The EPA has never, will never, void the warranty of an individual motor vehicle owner. The EPA only deals with manufacturers.

If your Harley warranty gets voided, or a warranty claim is denied, that is 100% due to a combination of your dealership and the MoCo. Period.

The EPA has nothing to do with it, and this is not a political question.

The MoCo deliberately, over a period of many, many years, sold flagrantly non-EPA compliant brand new vehicles. The EPA kept telling the MoCo to knock it off, and the MoCo kept giving the EPA the middle finger.

And then the MoCo got its peepee whacked. And they deserved it.

If they hadn't been such arrogant ********, we'd still be using TTS and Powervision tuners on our 2019's, and the world would be good.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:46 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
The EPA has never, will never, void the warranty of an individual motor vehicle owner. The EPA only deals with manufacturers.

If your Harley warranty gets voided, or a warranty claim is denied, that is 100% due to a combination of your dealership and the MoCo. Period.

The MoCo deliberately, over a period of many, many years, sold flagrantly non-EPA compliant brand new vehicles. The EPA kept telling the MoCo to knock it off, and the MoCo kept giving the EPA the middle finger.

If they hadn't been such arrogant ********, we'd still be using TTS and Powervision tuners on our 2019's, and the world would be good.
There is a fair amount of truth in this post. If HD add advanced there big twin engineering and paid even one Iota to internal combustion engineering facts we wouldn't be here. Really,,, a air cooled 1800cc plus engine that only puts out 85 or 90 hp and 100 lbs tq at the rear wheel in 2018/19. That's not even real tq numbers for the displacement be it 1 cylinder or 16. It's a extremely underpowered engine with efficiencies like a lawn mower engine. Sure the bucket piston v-twin can be built to good numbers and efficiency and even tuned to meet current epa numbers, cats and all. And HD should have led the way instead of sucking up to the dying customers that can't see the issue. Every other company in the world that makes, trucks, cars, motorcycles and even most industrial equipment has met and in most cases have exceeded epa requirement issues.

As a real example. I spent years owning, driving and working on Mopar Hemi cars. The vaulted insane 426 elephant motor. Best thing I ever did was sell those cars after damn near 30 years of dumping money into flexing rust buckets that didn't corner or stop. Muchless truly go fast in a straight line. They were very good at digging trenches in asphalt and shredding tires. If I was still into that sort of thing a new Hellcat or Demon in reality off the showroom floor would run everyday and stomp the guts out of any of my past streetable 426 cars. That's called engineering,,, something HD does not have a clue about.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:56 PM
Rick Turner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came to this thread hoping to see some real results. Would have been nice if more than 1 or 2 people actually answered the question instead of giving their “expertise” on why a warranty will or will not be voided. Anyone else have an answer to the OPs question?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

There have been multiple M8 owners who have shared the details of how, why, and when their powertrain warranties were voided, or how their warranty claims were denied, in multiple threads over the last two years.

It's more than understandable that they're a little tired of answering the same questions over and over again, particularly to a brand new member who deems it appropriate to make a snotty comment one day after joining.

You are free to use the search function.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 12-29-2018 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DRBUICK (12-30-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Rick Turner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the search function Captain Obvious. That’s how I got this thread. While my account might be new I am not new to this forum. Ive been on these boards for years so bringing up some comment about being a newbie like it makes you special make you look a little limp. Don’t like what I say move along.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

I never said or implied such.

Agreed, they offer it under conditions that the consumer must meet.

Somehow this ^^^^^^^^ doesn't mesh with vvvvvv .

The EPA made the standards and the penalties for not meeting them. The MOCO thumbed their noses to the EPA and the feds stuck in up their ***. The MOCO's lawyers then got on their knees and threw their consumers under the bus. Not that they are doing anything different than any other manufacturer. But they did it while putting out a brand new engine transmission platform. 3 years in and the MOCO has no solution to a couple major issues. They are probably getting off the hook on at least 20% by voiding the warranty. Transmission oil transfer because of non EPA compliant mufflers? Or oil sumping causing an engine failure because of the mufflers?

I was really hesitant about buying my Limited. I really didn't want to be a test subject and knew that there were problems. I decided to hell with it and jumped on a great deal. The deal included the ESP so I figured that any problems would be ironed out by the MOCO and I would be covered. I don't have a transfer problem nor a sumping problem yet. The only thing I done to alter the emissions is bypass the breather to the outside.
Do I want more power? Yes but not the paltry gains from the "Screaming Eagle" stuff. They should rename the line parts. But until there's a real fix I will wait until the warranty is done.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

FWIW, the S/E Stage4 build works very well (search the dyno sheets) while keeping warranty intact.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 02:34 PM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Just told no warranty on se head for a crack beteen valves for a tts tuner on it was no surprise to me