FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Milwaukee Eight (M8)
Reload this Page >

FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build

Notices
Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build

Old 12-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Steve Cole
Product Expert
Thanked 1,399 Times in 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainwreck43 View Post

(NOT my bike) Stock 2017 107” as delivered vs same bike with S&S MK45s, SE Heavy Breather, and unlocked ECM. I found this map at the shop I’m using to tune my bike. I’m including this one not only for those wanting a baseline vs Stage 1, but also to compare to my Stage 1 (main difference being the power vision and Fuel Moto’s base map). This showcases the increase you can expect from fuel Moto’s base map.

This is my 4th gear & 5h heat pulls with no tuning other than Fuel Moto base map.

You cannot even begin to compare those two charts. Different bikes and one report in SAE and the other in STD! If the STD runs were in SAE you would expect to lose about 3-5 HP and 5-6 Torque on average.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Trainwreck43
One Of The Regulars

This is my SAE chart, for reference. Yes Steve, as I stated, the other bike’s Dyno is, in fact, a different bike. I prefaced that with the intent to encourage that the two Dyno’s are definitely not an apples to apples comparison. However, just throwing that other Dyno in there as bonus info while I’m documenting my real comparison between my baseline and my 117”.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Steve Cole
Product Expert
Thanked 1,399 Times in 627 Posts

This is my SAE chart, for reference. Yes Steve, as I stated, the other bike’s Dyno is, in fact, a different bike. I prefaced that with the intent to encourage that the two Dyno’s are definitely not an apples to apples comparison. However, just throwing that other Dyno in there as bonus info while I’m documenting my real comparison between my baseline and my 117”.

So now that you posted your SAE chart you can see the numbers are much closer to being the same as the other bike, even though they should not be compared as it was a different bike. One much compare apples to apples if you want to really know what's going on.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 12-18-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Trainwreck43
One Of The Regulars

Had some thoughts after talking to my tuner. He's recommending I go ahead and put on a 2-1 exhaust (rather than my de-catted stock head pipe) and 64mm TB. I couldn't get him to tell me any educated guesses on how much power this $1200 buys me. He just said it will make the bike flow much better. Of course, I believe him in that since, but I'm trying to be efficient with my money since I'm already tapping the budget on this stage of the build. I'm torn.
Is this extra $1200 for the TB & exhaust going to give me significant boost in HP & TQ?
Or am I going to pay $500 for the tune, regret not springing for the TB & exhaust, then buy it and pay another $500 for another tine in 6-12 months?

Another option (since I already have my MK45s) is to buy the FM Jackpot and land in the middle cost-wise.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:52 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

Had some thoughts after talking to my tuner. He's recommending I go ahead and put on a 2-1 exhaust (rather than my de-catted stock head pipe) and 64mm TB. I couldn't get him to tell me any educated guesses on how much power this $1200 buys me. He just said it will make the bike flow much better. Of course, I believe him in that since, but I'm trying to be efficient with my money since I'm already tapping the budget on this stage of the build. I'm torn.
Is this extra $1200 for the TB & exhaust going to give me significant boost in HP & TQ?
Or am I going to pay $500 for the tune, regret not springing for the TB & exhaust, then buy it and pay another $500 for another tine in 6-12 months?

Another option (since I already have my MK45s) is to buy the FM Jackpot and land in the middle cost-wise.
A good 2n1 and the tb will likely be well over 1200. If you gained 10 /10 is it worth it? Better yet if the shape of the curve improved, like no dip and nice early long tq would that be worth it? Hard to say....

Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 AM
DTTJGlide
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think you'll gain 10/10 maybe 5/5, possibly a little more than that on top end HP. You could reach out to FM & see what they think you'll gain, they've done most every combo, the stock headpipe isn't all that bad. Who are you going to go with for the tune, that can make as much difference as the added parts?

Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 AM
yobtaf103
One Of The Regulars

Too many variables, & you may not feel it by seat of pants riding! as mentioned above
117 is cost effective, in some ways FM header over stock decat is NOT
If going that more $ spend , Do it all once ( tune/build time etc) i would keep your pipes, swap out 117 kit for 124 /SE 64 mm tb

You seen the GMR chart with stock heads your cam?
140/150

Last edited by yobtaf103; 12-20-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Ryanm1

I will vouch for a good 2-1 system, with the 475 cam the exhaust change is a major seat of the pants feel. I even went as far as adding 2 wing nuts in right at the merge of the headers and use them for tweeking that tq curve. I am not sure what the impact would be 117vs 120

Old 12-20-2018, 09:40 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Basically the stock header is a 2:1, it just has a 1 3/4" pipe coming off of it. If you want a 2:1 cap off the 1 3/4" pipe. I really have not been impressed with the power gains of the aftermarket pipes over the stock decatted header. When Steve and I did cam testing we used the stock header decatted and made as much or more power than similar modifications with aftermarket pipes, but again, different bikes, different dynos. That said, a 2:1 may bring your torque on quicker. The Billet Cat seems to be good at doing that, but overall it doesn't make more or in some cases as much torque as the stock header and it cost over $1200 alone. So will you feel the difference? Maybe, but probably not.

Now if your HP number is important to you the bigger throttle body may be a good add on. It seems to increase the HP somewhat. How much I can't say, but the 64mm is $407 from boardtracker and you already have the 5.5 injectors so that would be an investment that may pay off. Plus it gets rid of the plastic intake that has caused some heartache to a few members.

I think your cam choice would have been better served by the 11.1:1 compression ratio, but 10.8:1 will be OK. A better choice for the 10.8:1 ratio, IMHO, would have been the TTS 150. I am going to do a 11.1:1 upgrade on my RGS sometime in the next few months and I'm hoping that Steve and I can do some cam testing in the first part of next year. The S&S 475 is one of the cams I have procured for the testing. I imagine we will also test the RS 468, TTS 150, the TTS 200, possibly the TTS 250, and I would like to get a WM8-408 to throw in the mix. That is six cams, so that is quite a bit of work to do in a three day period and if the last cam we test isn't the one I want to keep in the bike, then I have to reinstall the one I want to run, so it could be six change outs.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Trainwreck43
One Of The Regulars

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide View Post
I don't think you'll gain 10/10 maybe 5/5, possibly a little more than that on top end HP. You could reach out to FM & see what they think you'll gain, they've done most every combo, the stock headpipe isn't all that bad. Who are you going to go with for the tune, that can make as much difference as the added parts?

The owner of BPA in Calhoun, GA. Really my only option for my location and platform, but after talking with him for a few hours, I’m confident he’ll do well.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: