Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build

Old 01-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainwreck43
Had a delay due to chasing an intake leak. Found it and completed the build today. Test ride is tomorrow. My tech says I gotta put 500 miles or so on it before I Dyno it, so it make be another week or so before I do that. Also, I have some extra valve train noise, so I may take the pushrods and lifters out and try that again. Other than that, sounds good so far!
You may want to check this out before putting more miles on your build.

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/h...-myths-truths-

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 01-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve N, (02-15-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

I follow this guy http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

Ran them in like that long before I'd even heard of him too.
Trainwreck keep us posted it should be a good'un.

FLTRI17 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky

I followed that guy's suggestions when I broke in my 107 build a few years ago. Over 10,000 miles on the build and never burned a drop of oil.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Pretty interesting read, Cooky. I would like to break in this way when I do the 117” build later this year. I might have to do it on the street, I may not have a dyno available.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Trainwreck43
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sold, lol. Alright I’ll take it up there this week.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I started using his break in process on my 2016 Roadster as well as on my Fat Bob. I followed the traditional break in on my 2012 48 and when comparing the performance of that bike and the 16 Roadster, the Roadster performed noticably better. I won't break in an engine any other way now.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:40 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

A new bike should be broken in the same way. But most people are too impatient. They don't even want to follow the recommendations for breaking it in.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,411 Likes on 1,566 Posts

There are lots of ways to break in an engine. The one thing that gets skipped in most of these discussions is how was the engine assembled! You could use the same break in, on different assembled engines and come up with different results. If they were all assembled the same, it would be much different. As for riding an untuned bike and hurting the engine.......... yes, its possible but if you have a late model fuel injected engine its highly unlikely, unless the assemble of the engine was not so good. The ECM will start adjusting the fuel and timing as soon as the engine warms up. So while it may not be the best possible fuel mixture and timing, if you use a little common sense you will be fine. The entire idea of engine break in is to allow the parts to run in and stay lucubrated. A few short warmup cycles is very important on an air cooled engine. After that you want to run the engine under load to help get the rings seated. With today's rings and cylinder finishes it is nothing like the old days where it takes several hours of running to get the rings seated.

Ridetothehill (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
There are lots of ways to break in an engine. The one thing that gets skipped in most of these discussions is how was the engine assembled! You could use the same break in, on different assembled engines and come up with different results. If they were all assembled the same, it would be much different. As for riding an untuned bike and hurting the engine.......... yes, its possible but if you have a late model fuel injected engine its highly unlikely, unless the assemble of the engine was not so good. The ECM will start adjusting the fuel and timing as soon as the engine warms up. So while it may not be the best possible fuel mixture and timing, if you use a little common sense you will be fine. The entire idea of engine break in is to allow the parts to run in and stay lucubrated. A few short warmup cycles is very important on an air cooled engine. After that you want to run the engine under load to help get the rings seated. With today's rings and cylinder finishes it is nothing like the old days where it takes several hours of running to get the rings seated.
Thank you Steve. Do you agree with running hard with full acceleration and decal while under load and after sufficiently warmed up? According to this theory or practice, of which I think to be a good one, the run in recommendation from the manufacturer does not allow sufficient gas pressure on the rings to properly seat and wear them in along the full circumference.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,411 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill
Thank you Steve. Do you agree with running hard with full acceleration and decal while under load and after sufficiently warmed up? According to this theory or practice, of which I think to be a good one, the run in recommendation from the manufacturer does not allow sufficient gas pressure on the rings to properly seat and wear them in along the full circumference.
Running hard is not easy to define as it may mean one thing to you and something else to me. So what needs to happen is keep the engine under load then remove the load for a period. No need to go WOT to do it. On a Dyno it's easy to control these things but on the street I like to use a longer hill. Keep the bike accelerating as you go up the hill then let it decel down the other side. The decel puts the lubrication back on the cylinder walls and pistons while the load up the hill pushes harder on the rings to seat them. You DONOT want to run down the highway at steady speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build