Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Milwaukee Eight (M8)
Reload this Page >

FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build

Notices
Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build

 
  #51  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Bowhunter8607's Avatar
Bowhunter8607
Bowhunter8607 is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Santa Fe NM
Posts: 1,172
Thanked 152 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Trainwreck43 View Post
Had a delay due to chasing an intake leak. Found it and completed the build today. Test ride is tomorrow. My tech says I gotta put 500 miles or so on it before I Dyno it, so it make be another week or so before I do that. Also, I have some extra valve train noise, so I may take the pushrods and lifters out and try that again. Other than that, sounds good so far!
You may want to check this out before putting more miles on your build.

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/h...-myths-truths-
 

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 01-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowhunter8607 For This Useful Post:
Steve N, (02-15-2019)
  #52  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM
badcooky
badcooky is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Location location.
Posts: 3,099
Thanked 453 Times in 357 Posts
Default

I follow this guy http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

Ran them in like that long before I'd even heard of him too.
Trainwreck keep us posted it should be a good'un.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to badcooky For This Useful Post:
FLTRI17 (01-25-2019)
  #53  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 AM
SavageChopper
SavageChopper is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Savage
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by badcooky View Post
I follow this guy http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

Ran them in like that long before I'd even heard of him too.
Trainwreck keep us posted it should be a good'un.
I followed that guy's suggestions when I broke in my 107 build a few years ago. Over 10,000 miles on the build and never burned a drop of oil.
 
  #54  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM
$tonecold's Avatar
$tonecold
$tonecold is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilbert, Az.
Posts: 3,157
Thanked 972 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by badcooky View Post
I follow this guy http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

Ran them in like that long before I'd even heard of him too.
Trainwreck keep us posted it should be a good'un.
Pretty interesting read, Cooky. I would like to break in this way when I do the 117” build later this year. I might have to do it on the street, I may not have a dyno available.
 
  #55  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Trainwreck43's Avatar
Trainwreck43
Trainwreck43 is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 138
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Sold, lol. Alright I’ll take it up there this week.
 
  #56  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 PM
Bowhunter8607's Avatar
Bowhunter8607
Bowhunter8607 is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Santa Fe NM
Posts: 1,172
Thanked 152 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by badcooky View Post
I follow this guy http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

Ran them in like that long before I'd even heard of him too.
Trainwreck keep us posted it should be a good'un.
I started using his break in process on my 2016 Roadster as well as on my Fat Bob. I followed the traditional break in on my 2012 48 and when comparing the performance of that bike and the 16 Roadster, the Roadster performed noticably better. I won't break in an engine any other way now.
 
  #57  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:40 AM
Cazador
Cazador is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: TN
Posts: 6,600
Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,622 Posts
Default

A new bike should be broken in the same way. But most people are too impatient. They don't even want to follow the recommendations for breaking it in.
 
  #58  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Steve Cole
Steve Cole is offline
Product Expert
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,135
Thanked 1,462 Times in 653 Posts
Default

There are lots of ways to break in an engine. The one thing that gets skipped in most of these discussions is how was the engine assembled! You could use the same break in, on different assembled engines and come up with different results. If they were all assembled the same, it would be much different. As for riding an untuned bike and hurting the engine.......... yes, its possible but if you have a late model fuel injected engine its highly unlikely, unless the assemble of the engine was not so good. The ECM will start adjusting the fuel and timing as soon as the engine warms up. So while it may not be the best possible fuel mixture and timing, if you use a little common sense you will be fine. The entire idea of engine break in is to allow the parts to run in and stay lucubrated. A few short warmup cycles is very important on an air cooled engine. After that you want to run the engine under load to help get the rings seated. With today's rings and cylinder finishes it is nothing like the old days where it takes several hours of running to get the rings seated.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Cole For This Useful Post:
Ridetothehill (01-14-2019)
  #59  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Ridetothehill's Avatar
Ridetothehill
Ridetothehill is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Hilltown
Posts: 158
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
There are lots of ways to break in an engine. The one thing that gets skipped in most of these discussions is how was the engine assembled! You could use the same break in, on different assembled engines and come up with different results. If they were all assembled the same, it would be much different. As for riding an untuned bike and hurting the engine.......... yes, its possible but if you have a late model fuel injected engine its highly unlikely, unless the assemble of the engine was not so good. The ECM will start adjusting the fuel and timing as soon as the engine warms up. So while it may not be the best possible fuel mixture and timing, if you use a little common sense you will be fine. The entire idea of engine break in is to allow the parts to run in and stay lucubrated. A few short warmup cycles is very important on an air cooled engine. After that you want to run the engine under load to help get the rings seated. With today's rings and cylinder finishes it is nothing like the old days where it takes several hours of running to get the rings seated.
Thank you Steve. Do you agree with running hard with full acceleration and decal while under load and after sufficiently warmed up? According to this theory or practice, of which I think to be a good one, the run in recommendation from the manufacturer does not allow sufficient gas pressure on the rings to properly seat and wear them in along the full circumference.
 
  #60  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Steve Cole
Steve Cole is offline
Product Expert
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,135
Thanked 1,462 Times in 653 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill View Post
Thank you Steve. Do you agree with running hard with full acceleration and decal while under load and after sufficiently warmed up? According to this theory or practice, of which I think to be a good one, the run in recommendation from the manufacturer does not allow sufficient gas pressure on the rings to properly seat and wear them in along the full circumference.
Running hard is not easy to define as it may mean one thing to you and something else to me. So what needs to happen is keep the engine under load then remove the load for a period. No need to go WOT to do it. On a Dyno it's easy to control these things but on the street I like to use a longer hill. Keep the bike accelerating as you go up the hill then let it decel down the other side. The decel puts the lubrication back on the cylinder walls and pistons while the load up the hill pushes harder on the rings to seat them. You DONOT want to run down the highway at steady speed.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: