Sponsored by:

FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Running hard is not easy to define as it may mean one thing to you and something else to me. So what needs to happen is keep the engine under load then remove the load for a period. No need to go WOT to do it. On a Dyno it's easy to control these things but on the street I like to use a longer hill. Keep the bike accelerating as you go up the hill then let it decel down the other side. The decel puts the lubrication back on the cylinder walls and pistons while the load up the hill pushes harder on the rings to seat them. You DONOT want to run down the highway at steady speed.
I get it. To me running hard is wiiiiiide open, or full acceleration. I like the hill idea. The decel is also important to note. Decel on the backside of the hill.
Why do you think the MOCO doesn't use this in their break-in procedure? After all, they designed and build the bike. With your method, we could stay within the MOCO's recommended parameters and still properly and effectively run in our new motors. The reason I ran in my new M8 by the book is that this is the first new anything I have ever had. I didn't want to be denied a warranty claim on the basis of improper break-in. Staying within those narrow parameters I was able to run in this engine with every varied condition you could think of including your hill method. NO LUGGING and NO STEADY SPEEDS!!! Now, I can give a rats rear about any warranty; because, nobody is touching my bike.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I guess I can't say I followed the "hard" break-in to the T. When I applied this method to my Roadster and Fat Bob, I would describe it as a mix of by the book and this method. No WOT but definitely didn't putt around like the manual says to. Varied speed and had plenty of acceleration along with deceleration to work those rings.

The Roadster definitely had a noticable difference in power over my 48 and my Fat Bob feels nice and strong but I have no comparison for it. I like the hill suggestion as well Steve.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Seems like that the way to do it.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM
zsphillips
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Will be anxiously awaiting you results, I already have a 107 with a S&S 475 & am just trying to decide when & how big I want to go, I think it will make a great combo, thanks & keep us informed.
What tuner are you running. Also does your bike run real rich at idle

Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM
zsphillips
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what tuner are you running

Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

ThunderMax, it run a little rich until it "learned" where it needed to be at, planning to just do a 114 BB this winter.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:14 PM
Trainwreck43
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another slight delay. I was breaking the motor in and started blowing oil hard out of both my rocker boxes. I pulled the covers off and found two broken bolts. I’m blaming a faulty torque wrench. Buy quality tools, people!

Good news is, it’s a blast to ride!

Old 01-26-2019, 10:57 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainwreck43
Another slight delay. I was breaking the motor in and started blowing oil hard out of both my rocker boxes. I pulled the covers off and found two broken bolts. I’m blaming a faulty torque wrench. Buy quality tools, people!

Good news is, it’s a blast to ride!
What torque wrench did you use? In doing this build, were you/are you concerned about the flywheel/crankshaft? Runout measured? Just curious.....

Ride safe!!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Their is a 475G cam for sale for great money in the multi fit for sale section as this is a 475 thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/multi...it-for-m8.html
Peace

Old 07-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Trainwreck43
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright guys, finally taking the Road King up to get dyno’d next week hopefully. Decided to go ahead and get HPI 62mm throttle body and Bassani 2x2 head pipes, so waiting on those to get here.

Results will I’ll be in soon!

Quick Reply: FM 117” kit with S&S 475 cam build