Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent sound with stock headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:07 PM
fairlydangerous1
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had Rinehart 4.0 slip ons and they sounded good when someone else was riding my bike. I could really hear the sound then but while I was on the bike I didn't care for them. I put a Thunderheader on (of course, always been a TH guy) and I love the sound while riding the bike. It's louder than slip on's, but I like it. I don't play the stereo or try an d talk to the person riding next to me. Not any louder than the guy going down the road blasting his radio loud enough that he can hear it. But just as many people will hate the TH so there ya go. To each there own and there is just no way to ever answer the question of which sounds best.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:26 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fairlydangerous1
I had Rinehart 4.0 slip ons and they sounded good when someone else was riding my bike. I could really hear the sound then but while I was on the bike I didn't care for them. I put a Thunderheader on (of course, always been a TH guy) and I love the sound while riding the bike. It's louder than slip on's, but I like it. I don't play the stereo or try an d talk to the person riding next to me. Not any louder than the guy going down the road blasting his radio loud enough that he can hear it. But just as many people will hate the TH so there ya go. To each there own and there is just no way to ever answer the question of which sounds best.

hows the performance. The M8 TH seems to be built for larger motor builds. I’ve always been a TH guy but was worried about over pipeing the M8.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM
fairlydangerous1
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pittz5

hows the performance. The M8 TH seems to be built for larger motor builds. I’ve always been a TH guy but was worried about over piping the M8.
So I have a 114 and not sure if a 107 would be the same but With 114 it's assume! Not only did I not loose any bottom end, I gained a ton of snap on the bottom end and revs much easier to 5k. Now, I should say I did the TH, Heavy Breather and Vision II with Fuel Moto canned map all at the same time from just slip ons.

I wouldn't hesitate to void the warranty and make the same change again. The Billet Cat might do the same thing but I just don't care for the sound. Tried it a few times and just never made we go wow.

Having Zippers 468 and a Dyno tune done Wednesday. I will have before cam dyno and after cam dyno done to compare the two. Didn't get dyno totally stock so can't say what those numbers are but I was really impressed. Wife and impressed and she is usually clueless and power.

Last edited by fairlydangerous1; 01-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
I hear a lot of people cutting out the cat and welding the pipes back up. There’s ads on CL to exchange pipes. Had my bike dyno tuned, he told me the factory pipes are better than true duals when it comes to performance.
now we have to start a thread about voiding the factory warranty.
What's y'alls opinion about this? Is this just as good as purchasing a new head pipe? This will save me $500-$600 if the performance is the same.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary1
What's y'alls opinion about this? Is this just as good as purchasing a new head pipe? This will save me $500-$600 if the performance is the same.
Probably better off going with a new head pipe from Fuel Moto.

The following users liked this post:
Gary1 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

A lot of posts about drilling cat out of stock head pipe, without having to cut and weld.

Gary1 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
A lot of posts about drilling cat out of stock head pipe, without having to cut and weld.
I am going to try this. I cannot see paying 500-600 just for a pipe.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:27 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
There is no reason to cut the stock header to remove the cat. I used this drill bit, $14 buck from Home Depot, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-1-...005T/204415336. I allows you to drill all the way through the cat. Drill holes as close as you can to each other around the outside edge until you can collapse the cat and pull it out. The pipe can stay on the bike, in fact probably easier to do if it does because it will be stable. It took me about 30 minutes to do this. I then took a long burr bit and cleaned up any cat debris left on the pipe (it will probably blow out as you ride anyway) and radiused the outlet to the left side so it didn't extend past the wall of the collector. That was something Steve Cole asked me to do before we did cam testing last year. This year I am going to a Fullsac X pipe, so we will see how that works.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
dcfatboy (01-23-2019), Gary1 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
There is no reason to cut the stock header to remove the cat. I used this drill bit, $14 buck from Home Depot, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-1-...005T/204415336. I allows you to drill all the way through the cat. Drill holes as close as you can to each other around the outside edge until you can collapse the cat and pull it out. The pipe can stay on the bike, in fact probably easier to do if it does because it will be stable. It took me about 30 minutes to do this. I then took a long burr bit and cleaned up any cat debris left on the pipe (it will probably blow out as you ride anyway) and radiused the outlet to the left side so it didn't extend past the wall of the collector. That was something Steve Cole asked me to do before we did cam testing last year. This year I am going to a Fullsac X pipe, so we will see how that works.
I drilled out the cat on a stock muffler, no need to cut and weld. Just keep drilling and collapsing it. You got to hook it with an angled rod, and keep pulling.
I did not notice a big change in exhaust note. Not really worth the effort in my opinion.

Gary1 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I drilled out the cat on a stock muffler, no need to cut and weld. Just keep drilling and collapsing it. You got to hook it with an angled rod, and keep pulling.
I did not notice a big change in exhaust note. Not really worth the effort in my opinion.

I've seen a bunch of guys remove the cat and the same look of disappointment on each of their faces. No improvement in performance and ZERO addition to noise output.

I'll give the best advice I can. Keep your stock system stock and change out the entire system with head pipe. Just in case say 3-5 years from now your state decides to comply with EPA mandates for motorcycles and the cops start pulling you over for loud exhaust, you can simply install your old system back on and get the ticket written off.

I've found (sound wise) nothing beats a transfer over to TH system. Gives you more TQ on the bottom and the sound is about as close as you will ever get to the old twinkie or evo. These motors are designed around exhaust noise and so you really need to get in there and change it up with either a cam or full exhaust to get the note you're looking for and remember.

Just my 2 cents.

Gary1 (01-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Decent sound with stock headers?