Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

No need to save here just not worth it.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:43 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Well now that you have heard from the nay sayers, here is some positive input. Yes, I am running a lifetime oil filter on my M8 for almost two years now. It is one of the first things I do to a new bike, I’ve been using them since about 2005. I’m running a PC Racing brand on my bike at this time, but I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between the different makes. I personally think they do as well or better filtering the oil as the disposable ones. So if it is what you want to do go for it.
Not on my M8 yet but on my 11 Fatty, not all about cost saving , features a magnet built in, easy to analyse what its caught if anything , handy after motor work

Old 01-01-2019, 09:48 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Let me see a $23,000 or more motorcycle but try to save $12 on an oil filter.. You grew up with that new math didn't you ?
Considering that the PC Racing stainless steel filter is over $100, that's a pretty dumb statement to make.

One of the basic arguments for the PC Racing filter is that it flows more oil than a paper filter when the engine is first started. Also, the filter holes are 30 microns uniform, where paper filter hole sizes vary, so they may have some holes 40-50 microns wide or wider.

Last edited by FurryOne; 01-01-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

OMG...seriously. For normal use and maybe even some racing uses, does it make any sense that Harley would have a filter on a motorcycle that could potential starve an engine of oil? the function of a filter is to keep material out of the engine and that's it. it is not to regulate the rate of flow into the engine (which depends on temperature and viscosity of the oil). If you get a lot of crap in the filter, the filter will be saturated with oil and will flow damn well. keeping the engine clean.... probably not so good. Racing oil filters are designed for much higher rpm engines that need a lot more oil than any Harley. A racing filter on a low RPM Harley engine is designed for one thing only.... to take your hard earned money out of your pocket. And before you ask or question, I am a civil engineer with over 30 years of experience with a specialty in fluid and hydraulic dynamics. university of Missouri Rolla grad 1989. can we go now.

The following users liked this post:
Newfie (01-04-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:40 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

I found some Indy HD repair shop on the way to Tail of the dragon, and the salesman said it would lower engine temps and increase horse power....

Old 01-01-2019, 02:08 PM
sstan
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is an interesting read on reusable filters. Link

Old 01-01-2019, 02:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Considering that the PC Racing stainless steel filter is over $100, that's a pretty dumb statement to make.

One of the basic arguments for the PC Racing filter is that it flows more oil than a paper filter when the engine is first started. Also, the filter holes are 30 microns uniform, where paper filter hole sizes vary, so they may have some holes 40-50 microns wide or wider.
As a lifelong wage earning mechanic I learned something early on, adding the word racing to something doesn't make it better nor the best choice for none racing applications.

Do as you wish, your money. I've been dealing with the latest and greatest gizmos for bikes and harleys in particular since the 70's the largest percentage of them added no value and some outright went backwards. I could rattle off a couple dozen very popular aftermarket products that are bunk but the hype lives on and people will pay more for them.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Mchad; 01-01-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,435 Likes on 1,690 Posts

A buddy bought one of the K&P look a likes once, PC 1 I think it was. His bike was on his lift and he had just installed the filter. He thought it snugged up early so he removed it and made sure the filter was in the slots and no extra o-ring was present and I tried it. 1 and a half turns to contact, so about 2 threads installed. No thank you.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:39 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
OMG...seriously. For normal use and maybe even some racing uses, does it make any sense that Harley would have a filter on a motorcycle that could potential starve an engine of oil? the function of a filter is to keep material out of the engine and that's it. it is not to regulate the rate of flow into the engine (which depends on temperature and viscosity of the oil). If you get a lot of crap in the filter, the filter will be saturated with oil and will flow damn well. keeping the engine clean.... probably not so good. Racing oil filters are designed for much higher rpm engines that need a lot more oil than any Harley. A racing filter on a low RPM Harley engine is designed for one thing only.... to take your hard earned money out of your pocket. And before you ask or question, I am a civil engineer with over 30 years of experience with a specialty in fluid and hydraulic dynamics. university of Missouri Rolla grad 1989. can we go now.
Apparently you can't get past the word "racing" in the Company's name. As for taking the hard earned money out of my pocket - I've already broke even with the filter changes on my '13 FXSB, so I guess you think it's stupid to save money while using a better filter, though that's not the reason I bought it.

Quick Reply: Reusable oil filter on M8 ?