Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 SGS Bluetooth, Boom!, helmet comms, etc... Easiest way?

Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Davii
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 SGS Bluetooth, Boom!, helmet comms, etc... Easiest way?

Traded in my 13 SG on a leftover 18 Special yesterday. I had my phone paired to the bike and to my Sena Cavalry helmet. I had the music playing through the bike, loved it, able to control the media, etc, but when a call came in it defaulted to the bike instead of the headset. When I set the connections to call for my headset and music on the bike I couldn’t see who was calling or use the screen to answer or deny the call.

So... is there a way (Whim? Freewire?) to have the music through the bike and phone calls through my headset but still retain the phone controls, etc through the bike?

Old 12-31-2018, 07:33 AM
03duece
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you need to install a WHIM so it goes through our heaset.

The following users liked this post:
Davii (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:17 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Yep, WHIM i have it, works well, I do have the HD headsets too though.

Davii (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:24 AM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Same problem here even with the HD branded headset. I have the WHIM on order to solve the problem.

Davii (12-31-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:23 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Davii
Traded in my 13 SG on a leftover 18 Special yesterday. I had my phone paired to the bike and to my Sena Cavalry helmet. I had the music playing through the bike, loved it, able to control the media, etc, but when a call came in it defaulted to the bike instead of the headset. When I set the connections to call for my headset and music on the bike I couldn’t see who was calling or use the screen to answer or deny the call.

So... is there a way (Whim? Freewire?) to have the music through the bike and phone calls through my headset but still retain the phone controls, etc through the bike?
If you go with the WHiM and your Sena headset, who's calling will show up on the BOOM! provided you pair your phone with it. However, music played to your headset via the WHiM will be monaural.

If you go with the Freewire and your Sena headset, you'll get the same thing, but your audio will be stereo.

(For more information, go to the website listed below, in the Tech Stuff section - a primer on Communications)

Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Davii
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
If you go with the WHiM and your Sena headset, who's calling will show up on the BOOM! provided you pair your phone with it. However, music played to your headset via the WHiM will be monaural.

If you go with the Freewire and your Sena headset, you'll get the same thing, but your audio will be stereo.

(For more information, go to the website listed below, in the Tech Stuff section - a primer on Communications)
Hey FurryOne, thanks for the input. I read up on your site, thanks for putting all that info together. My main question, I see a lot of talk about music through the headset, but I only want my music to come from the bike, my calls to my headset, but I want to have the capability to have the calls show up on my screen.

Is that possible with the Freewire?

Old 01-01-2019, 07:51 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Davii
Hey FurryOne, thanks for the input. I read up on your site, thanks for putting all that info together. My main question, I see a lot of talk about music through the headset, but I only want my music to come from the bike, my calls to my headset, but I want to have the capability to have the calls show up on my screen.

Is that possible with the Freewire?
Yes, Sorry I didn't make that clearer. With the Freewire, you pair your phone to the BOOM!, and you pair your headset to the Freewire. The Freewire connects to the BOOM! through a 7-pin DIN connector. If your bike didn't come with one you'll have to purchase it from H-D (#69200865 - $70). (It connects to the large white plug on the top of the BOOM!)

Old 01-01-2019, 09:05 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,200 Likes on 1,390 Posts

A couple years ago I had a similar issue with a Pioneer car stereo. I wanted to listen to music through the car speakers, and answer calls on a bluetooth headset. I went through all the same BS that you're talking about, however, I ultimately just paired my phone to the radio, then paired my headset to the phone (I NEVER paired the headset to the radio because it caused a helluva mess). The phone would ring, the radio would play the ringtone and display call information, however, whichever device I used to answer the call would become the audio for the call. (i.e. if I accepted the call on the radio, the radio would play the audio from the call, etc.). Would this not work this way with the BOOM! system? I no longer have a BT headset to try it out.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 AM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Would this not work this way with the BOOM! system? I no longer have a BT headset to try it out.
The problem with the GTS system is that CarPlay on the GTS requires a wired connection to your phone. If you don't care about CarPlay you can wirelessly BT pair your phone to the GTS and keep it in your pocket. Calls should still display on the GTS and be answered through a wired or wireless BT headset (WHiM or Freewire), or through the bike speakers and a mic wired in through an HD #69200865 7-pin DIN connection.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,200 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
The problem with the GTS system is that CarPlay on the GTS requires a wired connection to your phone. If you don't care about CarPlay you can wirelessly BT pair your phone to the GTS and keep it in your pocket. Calls should still display on the GTS and be answered through a wired or wireless BT headset (WHiM or Freewire), or through the bike speakers and a mic wired in through an HD #69200865 7-pin DIN connection.
I guess I'm still missing something. Even if you're plugged in for CarPlay, you can still have a BT connection to the GTS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 SGS Bluetooth, Boom!, helmet comms, etc... Easiest way?