New bike now time for new exhaust - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Milwaukee Eight (M8)
Reload this Page >

New bike now time for new exhaust

Notices
Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

New bike now time for new exhaust

  #51  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Johnyboy05's Avatar
Johnyboy05
Johnyboy05 is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N.J.
Posts: 119
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by teedoff65 View Post
be sure to get any dealer back warranty in writing before authorizing the work. Sorry to say, but some dealers dont always tell the truth.

Good luck.
spoke to him last night (9pm on his cell phone which I'd NEVER get half that type of customer service from my local dealer). He said the exhaust is a grey area for the warranty but regardless I will get something in writing from him so now just waiting on all the parts to arrive and then drop it all and the bike off
 
  #52  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:27 PM
FatBob2018
FatBob2018 is online now
Road Warrior
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,417
Thanked 382 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Well, here's the deal: the reason to go with the Harley Stage II kit is because it gives a big performance boost, for not much money, and retains the warranty.

If you put an aftermarket pipe on, you will almost certainly have your warranty voided if you need service at any dealer who is not your home dealer.

Even at your home dealer, if Harley asks for a pic of the bike and exhaust, you're screwed.

But that isn't the real issue. The real issue is that the Screaming Eagle tuner is not set up for a pipe like that, and may not be able to accommodate that pipe. You may not be able to tune the bike properly, so it may not run right and it very likely won't deliver the full measure of performance the pipe is capable of.

The only way to take full advantage of the pipe would be to use an aftermarket tuner. And using an aftermarket tuner is absolutely going to void your warranty, guaranteed, by the factory and voided at every dealership and there's nothing you or your dealer can say about it.

Which is all to say: if you're trying to maintain your warranty, the Bassani pipe is a terrible idea. And if you're determined to get the Bassani, then why bother with the Harley Stage II, why not go for something like the TTS100 since the warranty is gone anyway?

If warranty is a concern, I would say get the Harley Stage II and forget the Bassani for now. It's a good upgrade that you can really feel. Keep it that way until the warranty expires; once the warranty is up you can add the Bassani and aftermarket tuner and enjoy another increase in performance.
 
  #53  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Johnyboy05's Avatar
Johnyboy05
Johnyboy05 is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N.J.
Posts: 119
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FatBob2018 View Post
Well, here's the deal: the reason to go with the Harley Stage II kit is because it gives a big performance boost, for not much money, and retains the warranty.

If you put an aftermarket pipe on, you will almost certainly have your warranty voided if you need service at any dealer who is not your home dealer.

Even at your home dealer, if Harley asks for a pic of the bike and exhaust, you're screwed.

But that isn't the real issue. The real issue is that the Screaming Eagle tuner is not set up for a pipe like that, and may not be able to accommodate that pipe. You may not be able to tune the bike properly, so it may not run right and it very likely won't deliver the full measure of performance the pipe is capable of.

The only way to take full advantage of the pipe would be to use an aftermarket tuner. And using an aftermarket tuner is absolutely going to void your warranty, guaranteed, by the factory and voided at every dealership and there's nothing you or your dealer can say about it.

Which is all to say: if you're trying to maintain your warranty, the Bassani pipe is a terrible idea. And if you're determined to get the Bassani, then why bother with the Harley Stage II, why not go for something like the TTS100 since the warranty is gone anyway?

If warranty is a concern, I would say get the Harley Stage II and forget the Bassani for now. It's a good upgrade that you can really feel. Keep it that way until the warranty expires; once the warranty is up you can add the Bassani and aftermarket tuner and enjoy another increase in performance.

LOL this was the straw that broke the camel's back and got me thinking. Because of the bassani I was basically doing a dealer backed warranty. Long story short , made a list with a dealer last night that they are putting through today and it will be a dealer backed (on paper ) warranty

woods 777 cams
TTS (I already own a powervision so I have to call and ask about that,totally forgot )
SE oushrods
FUEL moto intake
bassani 2 into 1

now I'm VERY excited. Have to make sure they have the new oil pump cover in case that has to be changed.
 
  #54  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:52 AM
CSMHOG
CSMHOG is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,063
Thanked 121 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnyboy05 View Post
LOL this was the straw that broke the camel's back and got me thinking. Because of the bassani I was basically doing a dealer backed warranty. Long story short , made a list with a dealer last night that they are putting through today and it will be a dealer backed (on paper ) warranty

woods 777 cams
TTS (I already own a powervision so I have to call and ask about that,totally forgot )
SE oushrods
FUEL moto intake
bassani 2 into 1

now I'm VERY excited. Have to make sure they have the new oil pump cover in case that has to be changed.
If you get your ECM flashed with a TTS, you’ll never be able to put a different tuner to it. It marries to the ECM and locks out all others.
 
  #55  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Johnyboy05's Avatar
Johnyboy05
Johnyboy05 is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N.J.
Posts: 119
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CSMHOG View Post

If you get your ECM flashed with a TTS, you’ll never be able to put a different tuner to it. It marries to the ECM and locks out all others.
wow another thing I didn't know. Don't quite like that but just found out the TTS is the only way I get the dealer backed warranty . I have a powervision and they said they won't warranty the work even though they would be the one tuning with it. .why- i have no idea

if anyone is looking for a powervision , I have one for sale now lol
 
  #56  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM
teedoff65's Avatar
teedoff65
teedoff65 is online now
Road Warrior
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Point, NC.
Posts: 1,544
Thanked 244 Times in 189 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FatBob2018 View Post
Well, here's the deal: the reason to go with the Harley Stage II kit is because it gives a big performance boost, for not much money, and retains the warranty.

If you put an aftermarket pipe on, you will almost certainly have your warranty voided if you need service at any dealer who is not your home dealer.

Even at your home dealer, if Harley asks for a pic of the bike and exhaust, you're screwed.

But that isn't the real issue. The real issue is that the Screaming Eagle tuner is not set up for a pipe like that, and may not be able to accommodate that pipe. You may not be able to tune the bike properly, so it may not run right and it very likely won't deliver the full measure of performance the pipe is capable of.

The only way to take full advantage of the pipe would be to use an aftermarket tuner. And using an aftermarket tuner is absolutely going to void your warranty, guaranteed, by the factory and voided at every dealership and there's nothing you or your dealer can say about it.

Which is all to say: if you're trying to maintain your warranty, the Bassani pipe is a terrible idea. And if you're determined to get the Bassani, then why bother with the Harley Stage II, why not go for something like the TTS100 since the warranty is gone anyway?

If warranty is a concern, I would say get the Harley Stage II and forget the Bassani for now. It's a good upgrade that you can really feel. Keep it that way until the warranty expires; once the warranty is up you can add the Bassani and aftermarket tuner and enjoy another increase in performance.
Fully agree with one exception. The Big performance boots for not much money. lol

I would argue that you get a BIGGER performance boost with aftermarket...and I found it was cheaper than going SE upgrades. And I believe the parts are better quality.

But yes...the warranty is the deciding factor, which is why I hope the OP is as informed as he can be before deciding.
 
  #57  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 PM
badcooky's Avatar
badcooky
badcooky is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Location location.
Posts: 3,108
Thanked 453 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnyboy05 View Post
wow another thing I didn't know. Don't quite like that but just found out the TTS is the only way I get the dealer backed warranty . I have a powervision and they said they won't warranty the work even though they would be the one tuning with it. .why- i have no idea

if anyone is looking for a powervision , I have one for sale now lol
Why/how would/could they warranty the TTS and the other parts ?
 

Last edited by badcooky; 01-11-2019 at 11:22 PM.
  #58  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:10 AM
CSMHOG
CSMHOG is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,063
Thanked 121 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by badcooky View Post
Why/how would/could they warranty the TTS and the other parts ?
It’s all about maintaining the EPA standards. If H-D installs it, they ensure the tune is within EPA standards. Pure BS and everyone’s afraid to violate their warranty.
 
  #59  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:22 AM
badcooky's Avatar
badcooky
badcooky is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Location location.
Posts: 3,108
Thanked 453 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CSMHOG View Post

It’s all about maintaining the EPA standards. If H-D installs it, they ensure the tune is within EPA standards. Pure BS and everyone’s afraid to violate their warranty.
Cool got it.
Cheers man.
 
  #60  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:06 PM
Johnyboy05's Avatar
Johnyboy05
Johnyboy05 is offline
One Of The Regulars
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N.J.
Posts: 119
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by badcooky View Post
Why/how would/could they warranty the TTS and the other parts ?
it's a dealer backed warranty , therefore if something happens and corporate won't pay because of the motor work, the dealer will cover it. The only downfall is I have to get the bike to that specific dealer if I have any issues that corporate cant/won't cover.

if I ran ALL Harley motor parts , it's to my understanding id retain my factory warranty. Like stated above , it comes down to the EPA b.s. And running ALL Harley parts then makes it pointless. I was fine with it if I could run a non Harley exhaust which wasn't the case so f it. Did the parts i want and drop it off Wednesday 😁😁
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: