Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Milwaukee Eight (M8)
Reload this Page >

HD customer service compared to BMW

Notices
Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

HD customer service compared to BMW

Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 PM
smitty901
Extreme HDF Member
Thanked 1,132 Times in 802 Posts

HD dealer I go to is also a BMW dealer and has been a long time. They have their issue with BMW, don't let anyone fool you on that.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM
ghostrunner
Supporter

Mine will pick my bike up if i asked cuz they have before when was gonna be outta town. But i usually ride it in.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:49 PM
wmprof
Senior Rider

Originally Posted by Bobjv View Post
In the mid 1970's we were touring through wyoming on my new BMW when the oil seal on the shifter shaft started to leak a little. We stopped at a BMW dealer to have it repaired and he said, we are really busy and its a very small leak could you maybe wait untill you get home and have your local dealer fix it? I said if I wanted oil on my foot I would have ridden my Harley ( I also had a 1952 pan head at the time), he then said pull it inside we will take care of it right away. I guess I said the right thing.
Had a 52 Pan in the mid 70's too! Small world. Lol.

First Harley - 1952 Harley Panhead V1

Old 01-03-2019, 10:15 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gaugeforever View Post
I have a 2016 bmw s1000r and a 2018 slim, BMW's service is MILES better. They don't ask questions, they just fix stuff. BMW seems extremely concerned that every customer enjoy their experience from start to finish. Not to mention BMW engineers actually fix issues with the bike instead of acknowledging them, say they are working on a fix, and then NEVER, EVER, getting to it.

I would never own a harley as my main bike. I quite frankly do not trust this company anymore. You get less quality, less features, less service, less performance, less everything for more money with harley. Harley is a premium brand that doesn't offer anything premium. If you've been a harley fanboy your entire life I encourage you to ride a European bike and see just how much better the experience is.

Having said all this, I'm working on fixing my 2018 softail issues myself, since Harley can't do it (top kek), and once finished I'm sure it'll be a great bike. These new engines really are a treat to ride, it's too bad they had to put shitty bottom dollar parts around it.
man, it was only 19 days ago and you were throwing in the towel and selling it. What changed your mind?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM
FatboysFatboy96
Road Warrior
Thanked 1,041 Times in 482 Posts

I have a 2016 bmw s1000r and a 2018 slim, BMW's service is MILES better. They don't ask questions, they just fix stuff. BMW seems extremely concerned that every customer enjoy their experience from start to finish. Not to mention BMW engineers actually fix issues with the bike instead of acknowledging them, say they are working on a fix, and then NEVER, EVER, getting to it.

I would never own a harley as my main bike. I quite frankly do not trust this company anymore. You get less quality, less features, less service, less performance, less everything for more money with harley. Harley is a premium brand that doesn't offer anything premium. If you've been a harley fanboy your entire life I encourage you to ride a European bike and see just how much better the experience is.

Having said all this, I'm working on fixing my 2018 softail issues myself, since Harley can't do it (top kek), and once finished I'm sure it'll be a great bike. These new engines really are a treat to ride, it's too bad they had to put shitty bottom dollar parts around it.
I was seriously thinking about a BMW K1600B when they first came out. My wife loves the looks. When we test rode it it had been raining and we found water in both bags. So the seal is for **** for a bag that opens from the side. The bike was not comfortable to us. I wasnít impressed with the ergos or the navigation. Sure the bike was fast but thatís not my style anymore.
Then letís talk about the $1200 valve adjustment job that has to be done periodically.
There is no real aftermarket support, Parts and service are expensive.
We bought an 18 RGU and could be happier. This is my third Harley with zero issues on any of them, I had an EVO , a TC, and now an M8. Iím a proud Harley fanboy.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Another Old Timer
Senior Rider

It is strictly a function of the dealer attitude and resulting dealership environment rather than the Brand, especially among top tear Brands.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Greg Di
Senior Rider

I think it all depends on the dealer. My local Harley service departments are absolutely terrible on all fronts. I hate them and was actually glad to be out of warranty after the constant BS they put me through on the easiest of warranty repairs.

My BMW dealer is pretty good but they do bend you over on routine maintenance.i do most everything myself but BMWs have service lights that need to be reset. Even my Indy charges me $50 to plug in and reset the light!

I had a $3000 rear electronic shock blow out on my GS a week before the warranty was up and they replaced it no questions asked. I cannot imagine the fight I'd have at Harley after they screwed up a switch pack replacement which was two screws!

Last edited by Greg Di; 01-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:23 AM
gaugeforever

Originally Posted by cmashark View Post

man, it was only 19 days ago and you were throwing in the towel and selling it. What changed your mind?
I knew some internet super sleuth would call me out when I made this post hah. In the time frame you mentioned a major house repair needed to be done (5 digits cost). So until I pay that off I cannot afford to dump the bike. I still have a few grand to be able to trade in, but that money needs to go to the aforementioned house repairs. A buddy of mine has a sportster and he has offered to help me fix a lot of the issues I have. So everything I said is still true from my subjective standpoint. I do not recommend buying one of the new M8s brand new. You get less features and less quality than with a European brand. This is putting all performance aside, because IMO it's all about the experience a bike gives you while you ride it. Not that harley can compete in the performance section anyways, but I'm not counting it against harley. I knew that going in. What I didn't expect was to have half of the engine covered in uncoated aluminum, to include the rocker box covers. So harley thinks you should have to lift up the gas tank every single time your bike gets wet to polish the aluminum so it doesn't corrode and get cloudy. THIS IS HARLEY. Then there is the speedo, which I won't go into details on because there are a few threads with 40+ pages of people complaining about this. Yes it's that bad. Last there is the HD branded accessories. Wow... where do I begin with these bottom dollar chinese bargain bin POS. I wrongly assumed HD branded stuff would be of high quality, much like the bike itself. I was wrong with the bike, bit WOOOOW was I way off with the accessories. They must do literally no QC on these things and slap a badge on anything that offers. I have a few accessories and it would take a long time to go over them all, I bought them all at the same time so I didn't know they were crap beforehand.

The engine itself is a real treat. Perfect amount of rumble, it offers a seriously good cruising experience. It's just too bad they made some really trash decisions around it to meet an exact dollar price point.

I do think BMW offers a better dealer experience, but then they control that experience a lot more than harley. Harley, apparently, offers dealers a great deal of freedom to manage their own business. This is both a pro and a con. If you get a decent one, it's a pro, but like most businesses, if you leave it up to them, the vast majority will exploit it. I have had a few issues fixed on my BMW same day, nothing major because the bike simply doesn't want to break. Here I am with a harley asking the Harley engineers to do something as simple as seal a speedometer, something a honda ruckus does, and almost a year later and the geniuses at harley can't do something I can do myself with some silicone beads and a sealed container from walmart.

I hope everyone else's experience is better than mine, but both with the bike and with the service Harley has been a huge disappointment. I bought the bike as a second bike, knowing I was being overcharged, because I wanted to support an American company. I hope Harley changes and spends more time on customer satisfaction, but for me, this is it. I'm done with American companies. For 16 grand MSRP 18 with taxes, you shouldn't have to deal with stupid BS like this.

Last edited by gaugeforever; 01-08-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

I knew some internet super sleuth would call me out when I made this post hah. In the time frame you mentioned a major house repair needed to be done (5 digits cost). So until I pay that off I cannot afford to dump the bike. I still have a few grand to be able to trade in, but that money needs to go to the aforementioned house repairs. A buddy of mine has a sportster and he has offered to help me fix a lot of the issues I have. So everything I said is still true from my subjective standpoint. I do not recommend buying one of the new M8s brand new. You get less features and less quality than with a European brand. This is putting all performance aside, because IMO it's all about the experience a bike gives you while you ride it. Not that harley can compete in the performance section anyways, but I'm not counting it against harley. I knew that going in. What I didn't expect was to have half of the engine covered in uncoated aluminum, to include the rocker box covers. So harley thinks you should have to lift up the gas tank every single time your bike gets wet to polish the aluminum so it doesn't corrode and get cloudy. THIS IS HARLEY. Then there is the speedo, which I won't go into details on because there are a few threads with 40+ pages of people complaining about this. Yes it's that bad. Last there is the HD branded accessories. Wow... where do I begin with these bottom dollar chinese bargain bin POS. I wrongly assumed HD branded stuff would be of high quality, much like the bike itself. I was wrong with the bike, bit WOOOOW was I way off with the accessories. They must do literally no QC on these things and slap a badge on anything that offers. I have a few accessories and it would take a long time to go over them all, I bought them all at the same time so I didn't know they were crap beforehand.

The engine itself is a real treat. Perfect amount of rumble, it offers a seriously good cruising experience. It's just too bad they made some really trash decisions around it to meet an exact dollar price point.

I do think BMW offers a better dealer experience, but then they control that experience a lot more than harley. Harley, apparently, offers dealers a great deal of freedom to manage their own business. This is both a pro and a con. If you get a decent one, it's a pro, but like most businesses, if you leave it up to them, the vast majority will exploit it. I have had a few issues fixed on my BMW same day, nothing major because the bike simply doesn't want to break. Here I am with a harley asking the Harley engineers to do something as simple as seal a speedometer, something a honda ruckus does, and almost a year later and the geniuses at harley can't do something I can do myself with some silicone beads and a sealed container from walmart.

I hope everyone else's experience is better than mine, but both with the bike and with the service Harley has been a huge disappointment. I bought the bike as a second bike, knowing I was being overcharged, because I wanted to support an American company. I hope Harley changes and spends more time on customer satisfaction, but for me, this is it. I'm done with American companies. For 16 grand MSRP 18 with taxes, you shouldn't have to deal with stupid BS like this.
Well, Iím not sure what to say. I canít feel bad about the bike and dealer issue. You pretty much said, in your opinion, you knew you were making a bad decision, but you did it anyway. Hopefully your Sportster buddy teaches you how to fix the issues so you wonít have to go back to the dealer.

Just curious though, you did see this bike and possibly put you hands on it before you bought it, right? Did you look on line to see any complaints owners had with theirs?

That sucks about you house. Hopefully youíll get it sorted quickly.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stixvrad View Post
A buddy of mine purchased a new BMW R1200RT a year after I got my new 2017 Road King. He got his from a dealer in CT ( 2 hours away) I got my HD from a dealer 10 minutes away.
He has a noise they are looking into under warranty and are picking the bike up from him this week.
My dealer?
They want me to ride the bike in for the clutch issue to be addressed. An issue that they say DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE.
We both paid about the same for the bikes, and yet the BMW dealer is coming from 2 hrs away to get his , me, nope..
Anyone have their HD dealer willing to pick their bikes up for this clutch issue?
Fascinating story.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: