Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 sumping test?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:47 AM
RFC1962
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Not taking it in for the clutch slave recall. Bike is still under MOCO warranty for another year. I ordered the AIM Light Force II . Supposed to release/ship on 1/9 . I will install that myself. As I said I do not trust HD techs to work on my bike unless I'm forced to due to breaking down far away from home or a catastrophic failure.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:44 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Not sure I understand sleeping better once you do the test. The bikes dont sump until they sump. My first one didnt happen until 5600 miles, a few months after riding via highway back and forth from Sturgis from Detroit, often at 90+ mph and it was fine. So if I had tested mine at 3000 miles, I would have thought I was in the clear, according to your theory
Of all the things one of these bikes can break from, wet sumping must be way, way down at the bottom of the possibilities list. Much more likely to lose a wheel bearing, or drive belt, or water pump, or get a flat tire, or warped brake rotors, or blow out a spark plug that wasn't torqued properly at the factory, etc etc.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
Of all the things one of these bikes can break from, wet sumping must be way, way down at the bottom of the possibilities list. Much more likely to lose a wheel bearing, or drive belt, or water pump, or get a flat tire, or warped brake rotors, or blow out a spark plug that wasn't torqued properly at the factory, etc etc.
I agree. I wonder what the odds are of having gone through 3 stock 107s, then.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Where did you pull that spec from
My bad. Spec is 6oz. I had it in my head that it was higher.

The following users liked this post:
sixguns (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by RFC1962
I've heard pulling the CP sensor just back from the water pump on the bottom of the block is a good test to check for sumping. My 2017 RGU has been level on a lift for 2 months. I removed the CP sensor today and had probably 3 ounces drain out. Would this be considered an issue or not? Thanks for any information.

It Depends.... how and when did you check your oil? You need to follow the steps in the owner's manual for checking your oil. To easily determine if you're sumping, follow these steps:

1) Measure the oil in your M8 engine following the procedure specified in your owner's manual. Your engine should be at or near full level. Take a picture of the oil level on the dipstick before starting step 2.
2) Ride the bike for about 75-100 miles with both highway speeds and higher rpm twisty roads, riding without significant stops or turning off the engine.
3) Use the same procedure in step 1 to measure the oil level at the end of step 2 without idling for any significant period at the end of the ride. Take a picture of the oil level on the dipstick at the end of the ride and compare to the first oil level picture.

A) If the dipstick oil level in step 1 equals or is close to the oil level in step 3, then your bike isn't sumping and is unlikely to sump in the future. Forget about sumping and enjoy the bike.
B) If the oil level in step 3 is down 2-4 rows of dots, then your engine may have a mild case of sumping as there is likely more oil in the crankcase than there should be. Its worth sharing your pictures and findings with your dealer.
c) If the step 3 dipstick level is very low (down to ADD OIL) compared to the oil level in step 1, your M8 engine has a serious sumping issue. The missing oil between step 1 and step 3 has collected in the bottom of your crankcase due to sumping. Share your findings and pictures with your dealer. It needs to be addressed before the engine fails as a result of sumping.

Last edited by Heatwave; 01-04-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I agree. I wonder what the odds are of having gone through 3 stock 107s, then.
I can't imagine! I'm still working on my first one. 14k miles. Bike is now in the shop waiting for an ABS Module. I've been pushing the motor harder, bumping off of redline several times each day, letting it run at 4k for longer spells, pretty much just enjoying the motor sound and feel at the higher revs. It is very satisfying. I'm also very attentive to how it is running, waiting for that sluggish onset. So far, nothing. I'm super-legal about 90% of the time just keeping the revs up above 4k.

But, yeah, my ABS broke before I sumped.