Sponsored by:

M8 sumping test?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 PM
RFC1962
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default M8 sumping test?

I've heard pulling the CP sensor just back from the water pump on the bottom of the block is a good test to check for sumping. My 2017 RGU has been level on a lift for 2 months. I removed the CP sensor today and had probably 3 ounces drain out. Would this be considered an issue or not? Thanks for any information.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

No. You won’t know whether or not your bike is sumping unless you go for extended high speed rides and you lose power. You’d need to immediately shut off the bike and then pull the CPS sensor and measure the amount of oil at that time. Spec is up to 10oz.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:34 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertwndrr
No. You won’t know whether or not your bike is sumping unless you go for extended high speed rides and you lose power. You’d need to immediately shut off the bike and then pull the CPS sensor and measure the amount of oil at that time. Spec is up to 10oz.
Where did you pull that spec from

Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 PM
RFC1962
Tourer

Thanks. Ran quite a few 200+ mile rides in the 5k I've put on the bike so far. Never lost power or had any other sumping symptoms while riding.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

is this just a random paranoid concern from reading internet forums? best thing you can spend your time on is doing more of these "Ran quite a few 200+ mile rides in the 5k I've put on the bike so far"..don't forget this condition is the rare exception and a waste of time to spend looking for a problem on your bike that isn't one..we got plenty of early M8s in our riding group with 20 and 30 K + miles and nobody knows what a CPS is..just continue to ride and enjoy the damn bike! LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
badcooky (01-02-2019), Heritage07 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,247 Likes on 11,135 Posts

I hope I don’t jinx it. But, my 4 month old ‘17 Ultra Limited has 8,000 miles. I’m guessing that 50% of the mileage was at over 75 MPH. And I frequently run to 4,000 RPMs. I have no signs of sumping.

But, the past 500 Miles, I’ve noticed that down shifts are much more clunky and stiff. Maybe I’m having transmission to primary migration.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:15 AM
RFC1962
Tourer

Originally Posted by mjwebb
is this just a random paranoid concern from reading internet forums? best thing you can spend your time on is doing more of these "Ran quite a few 200+ mile rides in the 5k I've put on the bike so far"..don't forget this condition is the rare exception and a waste of time to spend looking for a problem on your bike that isn't one..we got plenty of early M8s in our riding group with 20 and 30 K + miles and nobody knows what a CPS is..just continue to ride and enjoy the damn bike! LOL
I definitely will ride and enjoy my bike. But I'm a mechanic by trade and realize the effects of sumping on a motor. Just trying to make sure there isn't an issue that will bite me in the *** down the road. I've already experienced the transfer issue several times. Will be installing Greg William's modified clutch push rod this week. I don't trust dealer techs to touch my bike. So I'm hoping to avoid taking it in...

Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

First you have to do it right. Ride it get it up to operating temps. Let it idle a short time about 45 second shut it down Then bike straight up pull the Crank sensor. Catch it something you can measure don't just guess. It is a simple test that does not take long. You will sleep much better once you know it is not sumping.
Over 22,000 on my early 2017. No sumping. And tugging a sidecar you can bet that engine is working harder than a bar hopper going for beer. If you own a Harley be very careful reading the internet.

The following 2 users liked this post by smitty901:
craigffb (01-03-2019), Heatwave (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by RFC1962
I definitely will ride and enjoy my bike. But I'm a mechanic by trade and realize the effects of sumping on a motor. Just trying to make sure there isn't an issue that will bite me in the *** down the road. I've already experienced the transfer issue several times. Will be installing Greg William's modified clutch push rod this week. I don't trust dealer techs to touch my bike. So I'm hoping to avoid taking it in...
didn't mean to sound abrasive, but there have been so many owners with perfectly fine running bikes posting about being paranoid and some going as far as stating they are worried about taking them on extended road trips out of fear of them sumping, which seems ridiculous considering how many of these bikes have ridden all over God's green earth, made it back home without issue, rinse and repeat over and over again and again..btw did you have the clutch recall done? might want to hold off on the the pushrod if not, but not sure if that's something they could even notice doing it, or even if your bike is out of warranty anyway, good luck..my trans fluid transferhas been very minimal over the course of its 30,000 miles and completely manageable..some have reported to be severe of course

Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
First you have to do it right. Ride it get it up to operating temps. Let it idle a short time about 45 second shut it down Then bike straight up pull the Crank sensor. Catch it something you can measure don't just guess. It is a simple test that does not take long. You will sleep much better once you know it is not sumping.
Over 22,000 on my early 2017. No sumping. And tugging a sidecar you can bet that engine is working harder than a bar hopper going for beer. If you own a Harley be very careful reading the internet.
Not sure I understand sleeping better once you do the test. The bikes dont sump until they sump. My first one didnt happen until 5600 miles, a few months after riding via highway back and forth from Sturgis from Detroit, often at 90+ mph and it was fine. So if I had tested mine at 3000 miles, I would have thought I was in the clear, according to your theory

Quick Reply: M8 sumping test?