Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if/when my bike is sumping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Sump Song Sanata

Originally Posted by Heatwave

Much lower odds of sumping under the riding conditions you describe but not impossible. A different or future rider with a different riding style could induce sumping. Also hotter temps and certain shifting conditions on backroads appears to increase the risk of sumping. Try the simple sumping test I described and you’ll have a much better understanding of whether or not your bike is at risk for sumping.
When Heatwave arrives and all four lines of his text feature the word Sumping.Thats how you know your bike is just about to
SUMP!

The following users liked this post:
badcooky (01-06-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn

When Heatwave arrives and all four lines of his text feature the word Sumping.Thats how you know your bike is just about to
SUMP!
Particularly in a thread titled "How do I know if/when my bike is sumping?"

Old 01-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Where are you draining the oil from to measure?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:26 PM
05cvoeg
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am just getting mine fixed from sumping. If you get less than 6oz of oil out when checking it's with in factory standards and they will only supply the oil pump for free and you will have to pay for the labor. I noticed a power loss when I suspected an issue.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by 05cvoeg
I am just getting mine fixed from sumping. If you get less than 6oz of oil out when checking it's with in factory standards and they will only supply the oil pump for free and you will have to pay for the labor. I noticed a power loss when I suspected an issue.
6 oz from where?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:47 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Factory warranty would also include labor under your two year warranty.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:59 PM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 455 Posts

How many onces does it take to get it all under warranty?? That makes no to sense to me 6oz and get half warranty

Old 01-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR65
How many onces does it take to get it all under warranty?? That makes no to sense to me 6oz and get half warranty
If you can get 3-5 ounces out of your crankcase, you can be absolutely sure that with a little harder riding you can get more than 6 ounces out of the crankcase. Take the bike as is and keep riding til they cover ALL costs.

Either the engine is defective and covered under warranty...or its not defective. Don’t let them squeeze your wallet to cover THEIR costs.

Last edited by Heatwave; 01-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 PM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave

If you can get 3-5 ounces out of your crankcase, you can be absolutely sure that with a little harder riding you can get more than 6 ounces out of the crankcase. Take the bike as is and keep riding til they cover ALL costs.

Either the engine is defective and covered under warranty...or its not defective. Don’t let them squeeze your wallet to cover THEIR costs.
We have two 18s no issue with sumping yet. What i dont understand is how the warranty is only covering the pump, not the labour, To me if its sumping, its sumping. not measuring to see if its has 5oz or 6oz.to see if its pump only. It should be covered totally by warranty.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,226 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR65
We have two 18s no issue with sumping yet. What i dont understand is how the warranty is only covering the pump, not the labour, To me if its sumping, its sumping. not measuring to see if its has 5oz or 6oz.to see if its pump only. It should be covered totally by warranty.
Oil accumulates down there during normal operation, and will get scavenged out. The problem occurs when too much oil accumulates, and the crankshaft gets submerged. And that can lead to a whole host of problems, from mild power loss all the way to catastrophic engine damage.

According to the last service bulletin I saw, 6 ounces is what they consider the threshold for it being a problem. Under 6 ounces, nothing gets hurt (apparently); over 6 ounces and they figure that some damage may have been done, and that clearly the bike has a problem outside "normal" parameters.
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: How do I know if/when my bike is sumping?