Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What FP3 setting for MagnaFlow Hitman on SGS 114"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default What FP3 setting for MagnaFlow Hitman on SGS 114"?

Anyone running the Hitman mufflers on the Street Glide Special (114") with an FP3? What setup are you using?

FP3 tech told me to use Eliminator 400 with standard baffle as my base map. I am wondering where they get their info from. I would think if they went through the trouble to test the mufflers there would be a selection in the maps.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

They probably have the same basic characteristics, and if slipons only, very little impact for either one anyway.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:38 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
They probably have the same basic characteristics, and if slipons only, very little impact for either one anyway.
The little impact is why I got a tuner, I want this thing running as well as possible. I would like to start with the best tune possible and refine by auto tuning. I am wondering how they figure the characteristics for the Hitman from MagnaFlow, if they ran a tune on it there wouldn't be a need to use V&H supplements for the maps, they would have Magnaflow maps. I was just wondering if someone else was told anything different. Using a map for a 4" exhaust on a 4 1/2" exhaust seems strange. Maybe the core is the same size.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Anyone running the Hitman mufflers on the Street Glide Special (114") with an FP3? What setup are you using?

FP3 tech told me to use Eliminator 400 with standard baffle as my base map. I am wondering where they get their info from. I would think if they went through the trouble to test the mufflers there would be a selection in the maps.
On my 2017 sgs I started with the map for power duals and 4.5 high outputs (advised by vh), my stock header was decatted with hitmans. I then ran three 1 hour auto tune sessions and finalized the map. I uploaded the map to Vance and Hines for them to look at, they tweaked a few things and sent it back, I reflashed it and it ran great. Another thing that made a huge improvement for me was changing the throttle progessivity to either aggressive or race, I loved it. I would not use the eliminator map since they are 4 and the hitmans are 4.5, I'm sure it would be ok but why not use the 4.5 base map.

Last edited by Quik; 01-07-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quik
On my 2017 sgs I started with the map for power duals and 4.5 high outputs (advised by vh), my stock header was decatted with hitmans. I then ran three 1 hour auto tune sessions and finalized the map. I uploaded the map to Vance and Hines for them to look at, they tweaked a few things and sent it back, I reflashed it and it ran great. Another thing that made a huge improvement for me was changing the throttle progessivity to either aggressive or race, I loved it. I would not use the eliminator map since they are 4 and the hitmans are 4.5, I'm sure it would be ok but why not use the 4.5 base map.
It may have more to do with the fact that I am using the stock header. I will take your advice on the throttle and will sent my maps to V&H, I forgot I could do that.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

It may have more to do with the fact that I am using the stock header. I will take your advice on the throttle and will sent my maps to V&H, I forgot I could do that.
They told me high outputs for just the hitmans with stock header or use the power dual map with high oitputs since I was decatted

Old 01-08-2019, 08:32 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

They told me high outputs for just the hitmans with stock header or use the power dual map with high oitputs since I was decatted
They did get back to me when I asked "why".

Here is the response:

Originally Posted by VANCE & HINES
We don't do dyno runs for every exhaust system, but since our exhaust product line is so expansive we have something that matches up well to nearly anything. We recommend the pipe that matches best as far as the diameter and baffle type, as well as rely on our experience with certain exhaust systems from 4 years of working with the FP3.

Regardless of the base map, thought you want it to start as close as possible, the motorcycle's ECU will be adjusting the map automatically over the first 1-2 tanks of fuel due to the FP3 clearing the adaptive fuel trims after each flash. So, theoretically, whether you start from map 'A' or 'B', as long as they're comparable you will end up with the same map after running a couple tanks of fuel.

Keithhu was spot on, as long as it's in the ballpark it's not going to matter.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 01-08-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

They did get back to me when I asked "why".

Here is the response:

Keithhu was spot on, as long as it's in the ballpark it's not going to matter.
Guess it was a mental thing for me, pretty sure it didn't matter but made me feel better to use the one for
4.5's, LoL

Old 01-08-2019, 09:22 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Guess it was a mental thing for me, pretty sure it didn't matter but made me feel better to use the one for
4.5's, LoL
That is EXACTLY why I was asking. It seemed strange but I don't want to doubt V&H, they seem to know what they are doing most of the time.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Funny thing, I went back and asked them on chat and they suggested the High Output's as well. Guess I am going to use that map, 2 out of 3 V&H techs recommend it.

Quick Reply: What FP3 setting for MagnaFlow Hitman on SGS 114"?