Sponsored by:

Trade 2018 RG for CVO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by berniemc
I have a CVO Road Glide Ultra that I bought new and still love it....36000 miles but I woud not buy another CVO as I dont see the money difference.I bought a new 18 Road Glide base model with GPS and antilock breaks and love it.Its all in what you want and dont let the age thing bother you....I am 72 and still riding 3 to 4 days a week.
I feel the exact same way. I bought a 2017 CVO Street Glide and had a bunch of issues, which I won't get into, I'll just say it was "sumpting else",.. so I opted to trade and had no option but to trade for another 2018 CVO Limited. That said I wouldn't ever ever buy another CVO again. A-You don't get your moneys worth and B-HD doesn't give two ***** if you bought a 44K bike or a 8k Street. You don't get any special treatment when your bike is down. They won't even overnight parts for you. I could say more but won't.

If I could dial back time, I would have kept my 2016 Street Glide Special with the Fuel Moto 107 big Bore kit. I am still kicking myself today for trading that and spending all I have on the two CVOs.

Last edited by RinTin; 01-08-2019 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Peter Quinn (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I would rather send my M8 in for a FM120 upgrade. Now that is something you will definitely feel and set you apart. Do what you feel good about, but also be honest with what you want. Nothing worse than spending 40K, then wishing you would have gone another direction.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:21 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebolter
I would rather send my M8 in for a FM120 upgrade. Now that is something you will definitely feel and set you apart. Do what you feel good about, but also be honest with what you want. Nothing worse than spending 40K, then wishing you would have gone another direction.
Well said!!

Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,427 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
15 month old RG, 63 yr old rider. Before getting 2018 RG, last bike was RK bot in 2004.

Kinda pining for 2019 RG CVO, maco blue/black. I “can afford” it. Retired, no income. Wife said “ok” but no idea it’s ~2X price of std RG (which she kinda gagged on last year).

I’ve wondered why the f posters ask for opinions here, but here I am. Guess I just want to see if there are any pros/cons that I haven’t already mulled on. Im new to the south and year long riding, still only did 6-7k miles last year.

I want the CVO, but my math brain says f no! “You should be happy with 2018 RG you bot last year, after trading in RK. You don’t ride enough, you’re effing over 60!”

Flame on!!
First is it the bike or the PAINT? If it's the paint then get yours painted, much cheaper and you get the look your after. If it is truly the bike then as stated before, we only live once so you might as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
mazz (01-10-2019), Oldskewl (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Not the paint. The overall look and the extras, including 117 vs 107ci, and new boom.

Mainly, at my age with no kids, figure if I don’t spend $ on something I like, it’ll get wasted by government. I did replace 4.3 boom with Sony ax and amp, and have stage 2 with 447 cam.

But, I wanted different bike at the dealership that got sold before I got it, and I kinda “settled” on what I got. After mods, I’m still not really satisfied.

Bottom line, if I get it it’ll probably seem like too much $ for the diff. If I don’t get it, I’ll still pine. (Gee, at least this dilemma distracts me from my excruciating back pains, which I hope to get over enough to live again in a couple days.)

Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Thats the dumbest s#!t I've read on here in awhile! I say go with your gut, I spent about 24 hours stressing if I should trade my 2017 for a 2019 cvo sgs, I finally listened to my gut, I've busted my *** my whole life and am very fortunate to be in the position to even consider the purchase, not guaranteed one more minute on this earth so I told myself get the bike and enjoy while I can, it had absolutely nothing to do with the image BS quoted above, do it for yourself if it's what you really want!
So let's get this straight.You want the old guy who is near retirement age and does only 500 miles a month,to drop a bomb on his 2018 Road King and pay 35% more on a CVO? In my opinion he is very lucky already to have a poor Wife who allowed him this huge slice of their budget on something that will never translate back into his Pension fund?
So you suggest he Lie to his Wife on the cost in order to Lie to people that he is a big deal?You obviously told yourself to get what you want because you have a Full Gut! Very hard to go with your gut when it is empty!
The only reason you came here to encourage him is because you are carrying your own guilt issues.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebolter
They have 124 and 128 upgrades now as well...

Old 01-09-2019, 12:29 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn

So let's get this straight.You want the old guy who is near retirement age and does only 500 miles a month,to drop a bomb on his 2018 Road King and pay 35% more on a CVO? In my opinion he is very lucky already to have a poor Wife who allowed him this huge slice of their budget on something that will never translate back into his Pension fund?
So you suggest he Lie to his Wife on the cost in order to Lie to people that he is a big deal?You obviously told yourself to get what you want because you have a Full Gut! Very hard to go with your gut when it is empty!
The only reason you came here to encourage him is because you are carrying your own guilt issues.
Who died and made you this guys treasurer? He stated he could afford it, generally someone that has made it to actual retirement, knows weather they can or can not afford something. So calm down buddy, I don't think he is going to starve if he goes for it.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn

No. We want him happy. I’m fairly certain that he knows better than to lie to his bride about the cost. They probably just haven’t discussed it in detail, yet. He says he can afford it, so what’s your problem, Pete? You’re not really his kid and are mad because any money he spends will jack your inheritance, are you? I’m just messing with you, but seriously.... they man asked for opinions and he received them.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

There are no pockets in a shroud! Your want! Your money! Go for it!

Quick Reply: Trade 2018 RG for CVO?