Sponsored by:

Trade 2018 RG for CVO?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by txhawg
YOLO

Don't listen to what others think is best for you, just do what makes you happy.

I'd do it just to watch my wife gag
You do know there's a better way to make the wife gag don't you ha ha.

The following users liked this post:
skid_pimp (01-12-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Just to be a smart a**, I have to say you should ask Suzy Orman!

More seriously, I need to quote my son’s philosophy “We don’t choose the bike, the bike chooses us.”

He was chosen by a 2012 CVO Street Glide. He made it happen then added the Color matched Tour Pak with the docking hardware and the VH High Output Power Duals. That is now his ride!

Having said that, it sounds like the Mako has already chosen you.

This has been a pretty good thread and I think most of the issues have been addressed including the VIN# for resale value.

My own philosophy is that you can’t build the bike you want if you start with the wrong color. Trust me, I was chosen by a 2017 Laguna Orange RGS and I probably have more money in it than any CVO on any showroom floor anywhere and I'm not done yet! But, it's what I want to ride!

My only regret is that it doesn’t have the CVO VIN#. OH well! I think I'm over it already.

My advice for you is go for it!

Trade for the CVO maybe add the Tour Pak if you want to (extra storage is nice and it adds more comfort for your wife) (does she ride with you?), ride it and enjoy it. Eventually, if performance is important to you, you may want to do the FM128 Kit.

Make it “Your Ride!” and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

That is truely what Custom Vehicle Operations are all about!

BTW I am closer to 70 than you are to 60

Last edited by Beartooth Rider; 01-14-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Fullbore55 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Coincidentally, it was a Laguna RGS that I saw at the dealership that I saw, which got me to take my wife in to see the next day. But it was already sold! It was the only Laguna one, so I got the current black RG instead. Nothing wrong with it, I just really like the new CVO.

Yes, wife rides with me 90% of the time.

Been laid up with bad back, limiting riding. Hopefully it’ll get better before long!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Get what you want life is short. When I went in 2015 for a new bike I wasn't set on a street glide, ultra or road glide. I was riding 2005 Electra glide classic in black cherry pearl (loved that bike) but made the mistake of riding the Rushmore 103 ho. I wanted red, abs, and GPS but let my wife pick the bike and ended up with a black standard street glide. I loved my street glide but really wasn't 100% of what I wanted then in August 2018 I bought a wicked red road glide special. Moral of the story do not let others make a decision for you buy what you really want.

Fullbore55 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
Coincidentally, it was a Laguna RGS that I saw at the dealership that I saw, which got me to take my wife in to see the next day. But it was already sold! It was the only Laguna one, so I got the current black RG instead. Nothing wrong with it, I just really like the new CVO.

Yes, wife rides with me 90% of the time.

Been laid up with bad back, limiting riding. Hopefully it’ll get better before long!
So why not go get what you really want? Here's a couple listings close to where you are for Laguna Orange FLTRXS's. This way you can switch out the sound system from your current ride, put some really good suspension on it so your back doesn't deteriorate, build the motor if you desire, black out the chrome if that's what you like. When you have it where you want it, sell the 2018. Now you have what you originally wanted for about what you would've paid for it new in the first place, only it will be better. The one in Round Rock has 1577 miles on it, almost brand new. The one in Angleton has a little over 10K, so it has been ridden a little.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/se...auto_year=2017
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/d...793134180.html

Fullbore55 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm about to turn 72 and when the 2018 blackened SGS and RGS came out I couldn't help myself and traded in my 14 SGS. With the new SGS I added everything I wanted initially, including the Stage 3 and I bought the 7 year "warranty" since it could easily be my last bike. However, there was another reason I bought it and then spent quite a bit of money in it. That reason is at my age the odds increase that I will have a major health crisis. Should that happen, I figured that any added incentive to get me up and moving again after surgery/chemo/radiation.... is a good thing. I love my bike's looks and performance and love being on it.

While you are quite a bit younger and perhaps a health crisis is still years away for you, if a CVO is more likely to get you up and riding there is no doubt in my mind what you should be doing.

I feel my love of riding is probably a major factor in me still being able to do day after day of 600 miles or more.

Fullbore55 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 PM
LeoGast
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn

I agree with every reason you have put forward not to do it! CVO is just an image thing for Wealthy people or for poor people who want people, they don't know,to think they are Wealthy.
I can pay cash for any bike I want but I won't spend my money on overpriced Baubles.You shouldn't either!
Okay I have to take issue with this. I bought my CVO Street Glide for pure function and paint color ONLY> It had absolutely nothing to do with status. Here are the features that I could not have on a non-CVO stock Street Glide model

In no particular order....

1) Color-matched lowers w/ vents
2) 900 Watt speaker system with speakers in lowers and rear lids - total of 6 stage II speakers and 3 amplifiers
3) Keyless security system/fob with auto locking saddlebags from fob
4) Heated Grips - You'd be surprised how often I use these
5) Daymaker headlight and led turn signals (although led may be standard now...)
6) XMRadio WITH Weather and Traffic. Yes, I love the weather and traffic features
7) Custom Stitched Leather seat....that many on the M8 forum would like to buy but cannot
8) 117 engine with ridiculous and I mean ridiculous torque out of the box
9) Paint scheme - Gunship Gray w smoked black chrome
10) New and much improved Sena 20S Evo headset and WHIM Included with the bike - NOTE: Full bluetooth integration with phone AND Boom and Intercom. Yes, I use this all of the time and it works great.
11) Stretched bags (at the time these were not available on a stock SGS...I believe they are now???.)
12) Much improved tail light system for safety
13) Improved windshield from SGS
14) Improved suspension/upgraded shocks from a SGS

The only mod I have made to this bike was to install Magnaflow Knockouts.

This is why I bought the 2018 CVO Street Glide after owning a 2017 SGS. I enjoy all of these options that came with the bike in the crate.

So, NO, it had absolutely nothing to do with status symbols or pretending to be wealthy. And by the way, I doubt any of my neighbors even know what the hell a CVO is.

Fullbore55 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:16 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

You snob!!

Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Get a wife without a gag reflex
If he did that, I'd guarantee that he couldn't afford the bike.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SWFLGuy
You snob!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade 2018 RG for CVO?