Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third gear gone,2018 RKS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

strange that every time I click on a highlighted blue link it says: NO CONTENT FOUND????

Anyway, OP keep us posted, unfortunately someone will chime in and ask for pictures, receipts, repair logs, manifests, pharos first born, etc... I love HD - But im not going to defend them when they build a less than decent bike and charge what they do for them. HD`s wants to be the premier brand then they need to step up and do better than what they did with this new release, JMHO.

BTW, Every other forum ive read from is just blasting HD - if not for the M8 issues its the Livewire pricing. Indian guys are in their glory watching our Marque tumble, Royal Enfield just put out a 650 & it was reviewed pretty solid across all fronts, Yamaha`s new venture/eluder is another solid platform, C`mon HD....! good news is HD will get a fix for the issues, itll be the aftermarket and will take time - but will get fixed!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 PM
redtwin
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
strange that every time I click on a highlighted blue link it says: NO CONTENT FOUND????

Anyway, OP keep us posted, unfortunately someone will chime in and ask for pictures, receipts, repair logs, manifests, pharos first born, etc... I love HD - But im not going to defend them when they build a less than decent bike and charge what they do for them. HD`s wants to be the premier brand then they need to step up and do better than what they did with this new release, JMHO.

BTW, Every other forum ive read from is just blasting HD - if not for the M8 issues its the Livewire pricing. Indian guys are in their glory watching our Marque tumble, Royal Enfield just put out a 650 & it was reviewed pretty solid across all fronts, Yamaha`s new venture/eluder is another solid platform, C`mon HD....! good news is HD will get a fix for the issues, itll be the aftermarket and will take time - but will get fixed!
I will keep the updates on what happens,they got it on the lift yesterday afternoon,so I should here something early in the week,hoping it is warranty but understand if its not,it is a stage 4 with a tts tuner,fueling cam plate,oil pump and cam/lifter change,141HP,if not warrantied I will be going with the baker grudge box,just didnt want to spend that coin right now.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:32 PM
redtwin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by badcooky
Let us know how those 4 other bikes go mate ha ha !
yes i will you know how they turn out as soon as you let us know when you have a bike.ha ha wanna be mate lol

Old 01-13-2019, 05:15 AM
redtwin
Cruiser

nope couldnt find it mate,but I did find a lot of BS though

Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

I don't have a dog in this fight, nor do I care to get into a pissing contest.

But I would like to point out that uncommon problems such as this happen, and they are typically from a defect in one of a million possible manufacturing process. It could be from the parent company or one of their million subcontracting suppliers. Although when a bad batch of whatever is manufactured either from human error or process error, it is often manufactured in an entire batch or a % of a batch. That batch is typically used in sequence during the manufacturing process, so it is not at all unheard of for groups of the affected parts to end up at dealers, or possibly within regions, while other areas are not affected at all. It all depends on how large of a batch was affected, and if or when the problem was realized, if it was a process error (read usually higher percentage of parts involved if not all), or if it was human error (read which could be a one off failure, an occasional failure, all the way to a consistent failure). It also depends on what kind of quality control is being utilized, because certain errors, such as this would not be visually detectable, and often quality control checks, such as this would or could render the part unusable following the check, so it of course can only be conducted on a % of parts produced.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by sloufoot; 01-20-2019 at 03:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
redtwin (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 AM
psoff
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp

But I would like to point out that uncommon problems such as this happen, and they are typically from a defect in one of a million possible manufacturing process. It could be from the parent company or one of their million subcontracting suppliers. Although when a bad batch of whatever is manufactured either from human error or process error, it is often manufactured in an entire batch or a % of a batch. That batch is typically used in sequence during the manufacturing process, so it is not at all unheard of for groups of the affected parts to end up at dealers, or possibly within regions, while other areas are not affected at all. It all depends on how large of a batch was affected, and if or when the problem was realized, if it was a process error (read usually higher percentage of parts involved if not all), or if it was human error (read which could be a one off failure, an occasional failure, all the way to a consistent failure). It also depends on what kind of quality control is being utilized, because certain errors, such as this would not be visually detectable, and often quality control checks, such as this would or could render the part unusable following the check, so it of course can only be conducted on a % of parts produced.

Just my $0.02.
spot on....You sir sound like a a man with a long Manufacturing background. :-) May I ask where your history is from? I come with 24 years of Design Engineering experience...all with Tier 1 Automotive suppliers. (ITT Industries, Cooper Standard, & Delphi)

Old 01-13-2019, 09:48 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by psoff
spot on....You sir sound like a a man with a long Manufacturing background. :-) May I ask where your history is from? I come with 24 years of Design Engineering experience...all with Tier 1 Automotive suppliers. (ITT Industries, Cooper Standard, & Delphi)
I grew up in the modification, customization and fabrication world. I was raised around race cars, and race teams, and have gears running through my veins. Then life changed and I've spent the last 24 Years in the military, in Army Aviation. I no longer manufacture things on a regular basis other than for myself or my friends. But I do work in a field that requires very strict Quality Control in both maintenance as well as manufacturing processes. That is one of the main reasons that Aviation parts cost so much, as the require a far higher percentage of parts to be tested for quality control, from each and every batch produced.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Maybe the OP optioned the "Gear Shredder" and not the tire shredder?

FWIW, I've hammered 5th gear (sheared the dogs on the mainshaft gear.) On my 1974 250 CZ, and
On my 1981 YZ465H I lost 2nd gear (both main & countershaft.)
Both as a result of clutchless shifting WFO. (Both during AMA sanctioned races.)
I use the clutch on my Harley's, and don't try to "race" them.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:56 PM
redtwin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by psoff
I used to live in MI Tawas area,Sand lake area

Old 01-13-2019, 06:07 PM
redtwin
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skid_pimp

Just my $0.02.
Your $.02 worth makes a lot of sense,if the person calling everyone a liar would completly read the original post he would relize I was asking about something I was told by the person that was taking my bike in for repair,so I asked if anyone had heard of this and he has turned into a complete sh@% show,BUT I GUESS THATS WHAT YOU GET FROM A GUY THAT DONT EVEN OWN A BIKE!!!

The following users liked this post:
psoff (01-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Third gear gone,2018 RKS