Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a powervision , do I NEED a TTS??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold

He has stated that he has to get it wiped to use it on the new bike which I think costs $200. He isn’t that far from the cost of the TTS above that. I have talked to tuners that said there’s some things that they like better about the TTS over the PV.
$tonecold, much respect and appreciate your contributions to this forum

Just a little bit of misconception in this post, the PV won't be "wiped", the $200 is for a license to use it on another bike. I use PV on my bikes and I can switch seamlessly between them, plug it in and it recognizes it, same holds true for friend's bikes I have tuned, no need for separate VCI for each bike, just the license, which can be used with any PV

OP, sounds like the dealer will be doing the install and tune? I understand the tuner wanting to use the platform they are most comfortable with but hanging the warranty over your head to get you to buy it seems like a shitty business practice to me. Both PV & TTS are very capable tuners, IMO they will both get you to the same place(a proper tune) but they have different ways of getting there, think of maybe the difference between iphone and android

Old 01-12-2019, 06:23 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

Power vision does not get wiped to use on another bike You purchase additional license .

Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
There have been MANY threads discussing whether ANY tuner leaves a trace. Do you know for certain the TTS doesnt leave a counter or trace at all?
Mastertune makes a complete copy of the ECM prior to installing a calibration, when restoring that into the ECM it makes the ECM to exactly how it was prior to being used, the PV does not.

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
It is a flash tuner just like the TTS. Both have virtually the same functionality with their respective softwares.
The above statement is not true at all, Mastertune has several more tuning features not in a PV. While the PV can and does tune the bike, it cannot do what Mastertune does. A big thing to remember is that the tech is the one running the software and letting them use what they like to use, typically gets you better results.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Where would the SE Pro Race tuner stand in all this, not the EPA one.
I wouldn't think it is as good as the TTS but maybe on par with the PV ?
OP I'll take this down if you aren't good with it.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Mastertune makes a complete copy of the ECM prior to installing a calibration, when restoring that into the ECM it makes the ECM to exactly how it was prior to being used, the PV does not.

The above statement is not true at all, Mastertune has several more tuning features not in a PV. While the PV can and does tune the bike, it cannot do what Mastertune does. A big thing to remember is that the tech is the one running the software and letting them use what they like to use, typically gets you better results.
Steve, can you elaborate on exactly the difference between the TTS restore original copy, and the PV “load copy of original tune”, from a technical standpoint?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:02 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole

Hence my statement virtually the same, I know they are not 100% identical due to copyright or patent. With that said, okay, so can you list the features for us that Mastertune has that the WinPV software doesn’t? I’d like to know the differences. That would help clarify matters a bit. Thanks

Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold

He has stated that he has to get it wiped to use it on the new bike which I think costs $200. He isn’t that far from the cost of the TTS above that. I have talked to tuners that said there’s some things that they like better about the TTS over the PV.
Fair enough. Can you elaborate what those differences are? I would like to know and I’m curious if others would too. Most local dealers in my neck of the woods won’t spend time to change anything but VE tables and AFR. That’s a separate issue, but if there’s more TTS Mastertune offers over WinPV, maybe I would consider TTS Mastertune. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Fair enough. Can you elaborate what those differences are? I would like to know and I’m curious if others would too. Most local dealers in my neck of the woods won’t spend time to change anything but VE tables and AFR. That’s a separate issue, but if there’s more TTS Mastertune offers over WinPV, maybe I would consider TTS Mastertune. Thanks.
Interested as well, as I will be in the market when my warranty expires.

However, currently I am approaching it differently; it seems to me that there are thousands of guys out there with dynos, but there are comparatively few really good tuners out there (guys like Bob, or The Dyno Difference, etc). So I think my approach is to find the artist I want to do my tune, and then ask them which tuner they prefer to use.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:55 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,736 Likes on 930 Posts

I’m not a dyno tuner so I am not qualified to say what the difference is. Steve Cole could tell you differences, but I doubt that he will as it could be interpreted as promoting his products which usually causes some heartburn. I think harleytuner or Steve from GMR could probably answer your question.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Interested as well, as I will be in the market when my warranty expires.

However, currently I am approaching it differently; it seems to me that there are thousands of guys out there with dynos, but there are comparatively few really good tuners out there (guys like Bob, or The Dyno Difference, etc). So I think my approach is to find the artist I want to do my tune, and then ask them which tuner they prefer to use.
That is a smart way of doing it.

Quick Reply: I have a powervision , do I NEED a TTS??