Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   ABS Failure on 2018 RGU (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1267181-abs-failure-on-2018-rgu.html)

KrustyKush 01-11-2019 11:59 AM

ABS Failure on 2018 RGU

For the past couple of hundred miles, I became aware of a vibration when applying front brakes from cruising speeds around 70 mph, such as slowing to take an offramp from the highway. I figured it was related to warped rotors, or maybe a front pad problem, so I spent a couple of hours looking over and cleaning my front brakes. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, and the vibration continued. I made an appointment with the dealer shop and took the bike in two days ago.

The tech said he got codes from the ABS when he hooked it up to the brain. I had never seen an error light at any time, and told him that. The service writer told me they'd had another bike in a few days ago with similar problem, but that bike was showing the error lamp. Mine never did.

Late in the day, the shop called me and said they need to replace the ABS ECU, and have the part on order. Bike is still in the shop awaiting this part.

Looking in my manual, it appears the ABS ECU is integrated with the ABS module. My manual says the two units are not serviceable separately. So looks like I'm getting a new ABS module.

Apparently, my ABS was activating during normal braking. I felt the vibration only at higher speeds. Once speeds dropped below around 50 mph, I could no longer feel the vibration. I figured it was worth mentioning here, since it would be easy to ignore this vibration. Otherwise, the brakes worked normally.

mjwebb 01-11-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by KrustyKush (Post 17952555)
For the past couple of hundred miles, I became aware of a vibration when applying front brakes from cruising speeds around 70 mph, such as slowing to take an offramp from the highway. I figured it was related to warped rotors, or maybe a front pad problem, so I spent a couple of hours looking over and cleaning my front brakes. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, and the vibration continued. I made an appointment with the dealer shop and took the bike in two days ago.

The tech said he got codes from the ABS when he hooked it up to the brain. I had never seen an error light at any time, and told him that. The service writer told me they'd had another bike in a few days ago with similar problem, but that bike was showing the error lamp. Mine never did.

Late in the day, the shop called me and said they need to replace the ABS ECU, and have the part on order. Bike is still in the shop awaiting this part.

Looking in my manual, it appears the ABS ECU is integrated with the ABS module. My manual says the two units are not serviceable separately. So looks like I'm getting a new ABS module.

Apparently, my ABS was activating during normal braking. I felt the vibration only at higher speeds. Once speeds dropped below around 50 mph, I could no longer feel the vibration. I figured it was worth mentioning here, since it would be easy to ignore this vibration. Otherwise, the brakes worked normally.

interesting indeed, my vibrations behavior occurred very similar to yours and they said the front rotors were within spec but reoriented them and cleaned them up for free which made a pretty significant improvement. But it continued to worsen over the miles so I just sucked it up and paid for new ones, braking then behaved as perfectly new again and has now for about 10,000 miles

Cosmic Razorback 01-11-2019 04:02 PM

Very interesting. That is the first time I have ever heard of this issue. Was the other bike they had issues with also a 2018?

Good luck and hope they get it fixed right and quickly.

KrustyKush 01-11-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback (Post 17953101)
Very interesting. That is the first time I have ever heard of this issue. Was the other bike they had issues with also a 2018?

Good luck and hope they get it fixed right and quickly.

No, I didn't think to ask about the other bike the service writer mentioned. I'll try to inquire when I go back to pick up mine. Waiting for my phone to ring...

nobodyknowsme 01-13-2019 10:55 AM

Darn good thing my bike is a 17!!! :icon_couchhide:

PDB17UltraRG 01-21-2019 09:35 AM

God to here your on top of things and your getting a new ABS ECU installed let us know how it works out for ya.

KrustyKush 01-21-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG (Post 17975554)
God to here your on top of things and your getting a new ABS ECU installed let us know how it works out for ya.

I got the bike back last Friday. It took four days for the part to get here. Another couple days to get the ABS module replaced and road tested. The tech put 30 miles on it, so it must have been a good road test. The tech did a good clean job. I find no residual brake fluid anywhere. The brakes work well. There is still a trace of vibration, but way less than before. I’m sure my rotors are worn, this the source of vibration. I’ll need new tires in maybe 6k miles. I’ll reorient the rotors and replace the pads at that time and see what happens.