Sponsored by:

The Perfect Day

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
Just spoke to the service manager. He said my bike will be ready at noon and for sure it was a blown head gasket. I asked him what caused this. He said, Probably not anything you could do to prevent, he has seen about a dozen faulty ones since the M8's came out. He did say not letting the bike warm up properly could be a factor but I always let it warm up until it idles down to 950 RPM's, then ride slow and easy for the first few miles.

He asked if I do a lot of engine braking? I responded of course I engine brake with rev matching, but I don't skip gears on the downshift where the engine over revs. Is this a common problem? I've never blown a head gasket on a motorcycle, car or truck. I know head gaskets on vehicles blow due to excessive heat or poor cooling system.

I am puzzled is all. I don't beat on this bike. Maybe it was just defective?

Improper warm up caused or contributed to the problem? I don't believe that for a second. Typical dealership strategy of blaming the owner.

Defective gasket and/or assembly line sloppiness is to blame, as evidenced by the fact they've had a dozen others with the same problem.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Improper warm up caused or contributed to the problem? I don't believe that for a second. Typical dealership strategy of blaming the owner.

Defective gasket and/or assembly line sloppiness is to blame, as evidenced by the fact they've had a dozen others with the same problem.
Agreed. Just glad it's fixed. Weather was great today, nice ride home.