Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Need Advice on Stage 2 or wait. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1267320-need-advice-on-stage-2-or-wait.html)

razorback84 01-12-2019 08:25 PM

Need Advice on Stage 2 or wait.

Ok. So looking for some advice. I'm thinking about going stage 2 on my 2018 RGS thus avoiding my warranty. All this talk about sumping has me a little nervous though. So should I go ahead and put the red shift 468 cam, fuel moto head pipe and thundermax on. Or would it be wise to just hold of until my 24 month warranty is up?

If you think I should go ahead with the stage 2, should I go ahead and put the S&S cam plate and oil pump in or just leave the stock HD pump in. Bikes build date is March 2018. Has 3000 miles and haven't had a single problem to date.

badcooky 01-12-2019 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by razorback84 (Post 17955831)
Ok. So looking for some advice. I'm thinking about going stage 2 on my 2018 RGS thus avoiding my warranty. All this talk about sumping has me a little nervous though. So should I go ahead and put the red shift 468 cam, fuel moto head pipe and thundermax on. Or would it be wise to just hold of until my 24 month warranty is up?

If you think I should go ahead with the stage 2, should I go ahead and put the S&S cam plate and oil pump in or just leave the stock HD pump in. Bikes build date is March 2018. Has 3000 miles and haven't had a single problem to date.

Why not go with the SE stage 2 or keep it stock ,it keeps everything legit and when 2 years is up , go the RS 468 , I am.

razorback84 01-12-2019 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by badcooky (Post 17955837)
Why not go with the SE stage 2 ,it keeps everything legit and when 2 years is up , go the RS 468 , I am.

i thought about that as well, but I've always been the type of person that doesn't like to do things twice. I'd be afraid that I'd Instantly regret not going with a stronger cam right out of gate.

badcooky 01-12-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by razorback84 (Post 17955859)
i thought about that as well, but I've always been the type of person that doesn't like to do things twice. I'd be afraid that I'd Instantly regret not going with a stronger cam right out of gate.

It's on you bro.

mjwebb 01-12-2019 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by razorback84 (Post 17955831)

when did you buy it, how much left on warranty, to see how long it took you put 3000 miles on it and is it a typical amount, what type of riding do you do? not sure I'd put too much weight on the decision based on "All this talk about sumping has me a little nervous though." maybe consider the above questions first to see how it all fits in to what is most important to

razorback84 01-12-2019 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mjwebb (Post 17955903)
when did you buy it, how much left on warranty, to see how long it took you put 3000 miles on it and is it a typical amount, what type of riding do you do? not sure I'd put too much weight on the decision based on "All this talk about sumping has me a little nervous though." maybe consider the above questions first to see how it all fits in to what is most important to

I bought it at the end of April 2018. I do try to ride quite a bit. Ive been in Afghanistan doing contract work for most of the year this year, but I'm back in the states for good. On average I try to hit 5-7k a year. I do an annual 2-3k ride with my dad and the occasional weekend run with the wife during the warmer months.

rdc401 01-12-2019 09:30 PM

Ride it stock,wait for warranty to be up or a couple of months before the end of warranty
Than go balls to the wall and build it all the way

mjwebb 01-12-2019 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by razorback84 (Post 17955925)
I bought it at the end of April 2018. I do try to ride quite a bit. Ive been in Afghanistan doing contract work for most of the year this year, but I'm back in the states for good. On average I try to hit 5-7k a year. I do an annual 2-3k ride with my dad and the occasional weekend run with the wife during the warmer months.

I'm with you on trying to hit a home run the first time instead of swapping and spending too much and lean towards saying screw the remaining warranty and get the future proofed hot rod you really want...no opinion or experience on the oil pump / cam plate upgrade

Hession 01-12-2019 11:57 PM

I have an 18 RGS 107 as well, I went ahead with RS468, D&D 2/1, S&S cam plate, lifters and oil pump. I’ve had zero issues but since they were in there I went ahead and upgraded it (cam plate and pump) I picked the bike up last week and it’s like a diff bike, very happy with the results.

I blew the warranty about two months after I had it, so that wasn’t a factor...you just have to make the decision on how much you want to gamble.

razorback84 01-26-2019 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hession (Post 17956156)
I have an 18 RGS 107 as well, I went ahead with RS468, D&D 2/1, S&S cam plate, lifters and oil pump. I’ve had zero issues but since they were in there I went ahead and upgraded it (cam plate and pump) I picked the bike up last week and it’s like a diff bike, very happy with the results.

I blew the warranty about two months after I had it, so that wasn’t a factor...you just have to make the decision on how much you want to gamble.

Went ahead with the RS468 and I'm glad I did!!! You're right about it being a completely different bike!!