Sponsored by:

New Boom! Audio GTS software available.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:31 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,954 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by RinTin
That's just it, I wouldn't expect any differences just based on HDs history of just about everything they do. They sell **** before it's ready and don't care how it affects the customer. I have had my fair share of new cars over the past several year. I have YET to have to update anything on any of them and they are ALL high tech radios. That is my only point.

HD needs to understand this on top of issues like sumping, tranny transfer is why customers like me are fed up with HD. If it was "just" the radio, ya I'd cut them slack. But it's much much more.
I agree, after four years of production of the original boom system, 10 plus updates later the radio / nav system still has bugs. So, they have never completely fixed the original boom, and introduce the new boom, and are already on third update to fix issues. There will be many more updates, and my bet is a new radio will be introduced with out the bugs all being fixed on the boom GTS.

Do you think Harley Davidson is going to keep fixing these bugs on the old Boom? You can probably guess my answer.
I am sure as long as its in production for some models, there will be some more updates for the old boom. I do not think they will ever fix all the bugs. Also the updates will stop the day they quit installing it in new bikes.

Oh, so now the radio will work as it's suppose to? Guess I should apologize. After 4 years of countless updates, I have 100% confidence this update will do it.
Nope, They never completely fixed the old boom after four years and 10 plus updates. No way in heck will the third update fix the new GTS boom.

HD just puts band aids on. The failing lifters on the 110 engine has never been fixed by HD, sure they 3 times came out with new and improved lifters that still fail. I know for a fact, the 15 CVO had the latest improved lifter. My 2015 CVO RGU had lifter failure at 44K miles, and the whole engine had to be replaced. I am so lucky this happened 2 days before the bike was two years old. Warranty fixed it. That was my 2nd CVO 110 bike with lifter failure. HD just knows 98% of owners will never hit the failure point while under warranty as its usually 35 to 46K miles when they fail, most will never hit 20K in two years.

They will continue to loose customers until they learn about quality control, and fixing issues.

Like you say, the head unit in my Pick-up and in my Grand sport are every bit, if not more complex then the one on my bike. Yet they have no bugs. They also do not have multiple updates that need to be done. Can you imagine your car having lifter failure at 44K miles? If it did, would you buy the same car / brand again?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigffb
Take out the radio you obviously are not happy with, replace with the radio of your choice, end your crying and whining. Seems like an easy fix.
Why should I have to spend three grand to replace a Infotainment system on a 41K bike? Why are you making excusses for a company that cant get their product to work like the owners manual says it is suppose to? Why shouldn't the manufacture fix it and make it work like they say it does?

If you weren't happy with the first one, why did you get the second? None of your arguments are holding much weight. If your not happy with the product don't spend your money on it. That will show them you're serious.
How in the heck would I know that the GTS was just as buggy and issue prone as the original Boom with out using one. Harley said it was all new, vastly improved. Reality shows there are some improvements, and there are also many bugs with the GTS system

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
Suit yourself...agree to disagree....I have the 6.5 inch Boom in my 15 LTD and it works fine even after all the updates....
Dang, they never got all the bugs out of my head unit on the 15 CVO RGU. The 18 CVO RG Boom also had bugs. Some bugs can not be duplicated at dealer unless the dealer is willing to spend many hours on it. Between 4 and 5 hours of continuous use my BOOM the volume would start warbling, going up and down a lot. It would not stop unless the bike sat for hours. At the 11/12 hour point, it would have the left front and left rear speaker quit working, and not work again until bike sat for hours.

See I ride my bikes on long trips. Not uncommon for the first day of the trip to be 1000 to 1200 miles. I take two 5000~6000 mile trips each year on a bike. So I also know of the multiple issues with the Nav portion of the head unit. Being off a street on the displayed next turn. Not changing time zone correctly. Displaying turn left while audio tells you to turn right. Those are just a few.

I traded my 18 because I knew they would never fix my head unit. As they could not run it the 4 to 5 hours needed to hear the music volume going up and down every 30 to 45 seconds after hot. I am hoping the new and improved unit does not have that bug, my 15 did not. It is annoying as I put 24K a year on my bike.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Why should I have to spend three grand to replace a Infotainment system on a 41K bike? Why are you making excusses for a company that cant get their product to work like the owners manual says it is suppose to? Why shouldn't the manufacture fix it and make it work like they say it does?

I offered up an option to him an now extend that same option to you. And they are fixing it, that's what the HOLE purpose of this thread was for. To let people know that said update was available.

How in the heck would I know that the GTS was just as buggy and issue prone as the original Boom with out using one. Harley said it was all new, vastly improved. Reality shows there are some improvements, and there are also many bugs with the GTS system

This was in reply to his going on about how he traded in his 17 for an 18. Not about the radio. And as far as the GTS goes mine works just fine.

See I ride my bikes on long trips. Not uncommon for the first day of the trip to be 1000 to 1200 miles. I take two 5000~6000 mile trips each year on a bike. So I also know of the multiple issues with the Nav portion of the head unit. Being off a street on the displayed next turn. Not changing time zone correctly. Displaying turn left while audio tells you to turn right. Those are just a few.

If you don't like the NAV in the BOOM use Apple maps, Google maps, or even Waze. That's four different options right there. If you can't be happy with one of the numerus options now available nothing is gonna make you happy. There are other options now that CarPlay is on the GTS. All auto/motorcycle NAV units have things that people aren't happy with. I don't care if is was 40K or 10K.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

I offered up an option to him an now extend that same option to you. And they are fixing it, that's what the HOLE purpose of this thread was for. To let people know that said update was available.

This was in reply to his going on about how he traded in his 17 for an 18. Not about the radio. And as far as the GTS goes mine works just fine.

If you don't like the NAV in the BOOM use Apple maps, Google maps, or even Waze. That's four different options right there. If you can't be happy with one of the numerus options now available nothing is gonna make you happy. There are other options now that CarPlay is on the GTS. All auto/motorcycle NAV units have things that people aren't happy with. I don't care if is was 40K or 10K.

People like you , being perfectly happy with the sub par product that HD is putting out is why HD continues to do so.

10 year production run on the 110 motor, and still having the same lifter failure. Never fixed it, because they never addressed the real issue, way to high a spring pressure on the valve springs, and a double spring.

Apple carplay sucks, I hate in my truck so I use the factory head unit. I hate it in my Grand Sport, which is why I use the factory head unit.

Really, did you read about the volume going up and down every 30 seconds after riding over 4 or 5 hours? Not just a little, like going from 1/2 to 7/8 volume, up and down. Only way to get it to stop is shut the bike off for three or more hours.

I am glad your happy with products that do not work correctly. I am not. The GTS has issues for example, when the CB is on it does not display that it is on 50% of the time. Have to stop and restart the bike to get it to display. Take a phone call while listening to the iPod or Phone play list, it stops like it should so I can talk. 70 % of the time when call is ended music does not resume. Can not get it to play unless I pull to side of road, turn bike off for three minutes for head unit to reset and then start back up. Those are just a couple of the bugs.

My truck doesnt have those issues, my car doesnt have those issues. My 18 didn't have the phone issue or CB issue. I do not settle for an inferior product. I'm the customer that Harley doesn't want to loose. Yet I know many like me, are switching. I am talking guys who by a new CVO every other year for 16 years now, I know four that have traded their CVO on BMW, or Indian. Since 2009, between my wife and I we have bought 14 Harley Touring bikes, 7 of which have been CVO bikes.

There is a good chance in two years when this 19 has 45K miles on it, it will be traded for a BMW or Indian, or Goldwing if Harley does not correctly address the issues, which are head unit bugs and sumping.

I have owned Harleys since the early 80's, quality has gone down hill since 2009, and really accelerated after 2014. Look at their sales, falling at twice the rate of any other brand.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:17 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

From the way everyone talks on this thread, you probably don't own a computer...or iPad...or smart phone...or a modern television. ALL things that need to be updated occasionally. I'm willing to call junk junk, when appropriate, but I don't think it's the case here. If Harley was happy with putting out crap, then there wouldn't be any updates to complain about having to install. If Microsoft waited to release a perfect product with no need for updates or fixes, we wouldn't be on this forum right now. Electronics are always a work in progress. I say that, even with mine having had some issues. I've even started a thread about it. It is what it is. Guys, we have surround sound stereo, pumped out by a computer stuck in a small hole in the dash of a frigging motorcycle, with over 99% uptime. And people are still complaining about it?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
From the way everyone talks on this thread, you probably don't own a computer...or iPad...or smart phone...or a modern television. ALL things that need to be updated occasionally. I'm willing to call junk junk, when appropriate, but I don't think it's the case here. If Harley was happy with putting out crap, then there wouldn't be any updates to complain about having to install. If Microsoft waited to release a perfect product with no need for updates or fixes, we wouldn't be on this forum right now. Electronics are always a work in progress. I say that, even with mine having had some issues. I've even started a thread about it. It is what it is. Guys, we have surround sound stereo, pumped out by a computer stuck in a small hole in the dash of a frigging motorcycle, with over 99% uptime. And people are still complaining about it?
Actually it's the complete opposite. We not only own computers and Iphones, we own cars that have way more sophisticated radios that maybe need 1 update over the life of the cars. So ya, we have the same expectation for Harley Davidson.

Yes any new technology does need updates, but I can't say I believe a Radio (Boom pre 2019) should need 13 updates over 4 years and not actually fix a majority of the bugs. Also keep in mind how poorly the whole tranny transfer issue's has been handled as well as the sumping. Product to market with issues and HD hides behind the dealer not wanting to fix it as it would cost to much. Worse yet, even if the 2020 has a fix, HD will NEVER go back and help out all the customers that have 2017, 2018 and 2019s. Call me bitter, but they aren't getting any slack from me with all the problems still existing.If it was just the radio, ok.. No problem. But hardly the case. You will feel the same if you own an M8 after it sumps.

Last edited by RinTin; 01-22-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:48 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Do you think Harley Davidson is going to keep fixing these bugs on the old Boom? You can probably guess my answer.
There was an update for the old boom released on the same day so, yes, they are still supporting the old boom as well.

For those complaining about about frequent updates, you’re supposed to complain when a vendor DOESN'T release frequent updates, not when they do.

The following users liked this post:
bradsULtd (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 860 Likes on 482 Posts

Actually it's the complete opposite. We not only own computers and Iphones, we own cars that have way more sophisticated radios that maybe need 1 update over the life of the cars. So ya, we have the same expectation for Harley Davidson.

Yes any new technology does need updates, but I can't say I believe a Radio (Boom pre 2019) should need 13 updates over 4 years and not actually fix a majority of the bugs. Also keep in mind how poorly the whole tranny transfer issue's has been handled as well as the sumping. Product to market with issues and HD hides behind the dealer not wanting to fix it as it would cost to much. Worse yet, even if the 2020 has a fix, HD will NEVER go back and help out all the customers that have 2017, 2018 and 2019s. Call me bitter, but they aren't getting any slack from me with all the problems still existing.If it was just the radio, ok.. No problem. But hardly the case. You will feel the same if you own an M8 after it sumps.
You sound like you're miserable. Sell that POS before you have a stroke.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpalm
Lets see, I bought a 14 Stingray, Oct 2013, a new never used before head unit / nav system. Worked great two years. Then GM issued an update, to add apple car play, not to fix issues. My 17 F150, has had one update, again to add features, not to fix bugs. Neither has had bugs that need fixing. Just adding features.

A HD head unit / nav came out for 14 model year, Got mine in Sept of 13, first up date to fix issues, was Oct 13. In 4 years of production, never once did an update add features like above. However 19 updates to fix Bugs, and they are still issuing updates to fix bugs. Nothing else I have ever owned has needed 19 updates to fix know issues or bugs. Sure Computers, and phones get updates. Name one that gets 19 in for years, and the issues are not yet fixed????

Exactly, on 3rd update already for the 19 and its been out for 6 months. Four years of ownership for my 14 Stingray, one update, not for bugs, to add features. 18 Grand Sport, zero updates so far.

Seems Harley is using us as Beta testers.

Originally Posted by offthewall

There was an update for the old boom released on the same day so, yes, they are still supporting the old boom as well.

For those complaining about about frequent updates, you’re supposed to complain when a vendor DOESN'T release frequent updates, not when they do.
I am glad they are trying to fix it with updates. That said, my complaint is they can not release a product that doesn't require an update right away. My cars and trucks have every bit as complex a head unit nav system. Yet go years with out needing an update to fix bugs. No updates yet on my 18 Grand Sport, and no bugs or system issues. 6 months in production, 3 updates to fix issues on my 19 CVO.

14 Stingray, in four years one update, to add car play, not fix issues. 14 Harley, 19 updates to fix issues, not one update to add features. Understand the difference?

Car manufactures are putting out a finished product ready for use by the Consumer. Harley is putting out a product ready for Beta testing, not full production.

Same goes for the sumping engines.

RinTin (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts
bradsULtd (01-23-2019)