Sponsored by:

S&S 124 kit vs Fuel Moto 124 kit....Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default S&S 124 kit vs Fuel Moto 124 kit....Help me decide

I am considering both of these. I spoke to Fuel Moto today and had a good discussion with them to learn more about their system. Right off the bat, it's $1,000.00 less than S&S but I am working on spreadsheet to list all the extra costs and with both, there are lots of them. This becomes a $5k upgrade pretty quick.

What I can't tell and maybe you can help me with this is what is the actual difference between the kits at the end of the day? The S&S kit includes a lot of different components that the FM kit does not. If I do this, I am definitely doing the injectors, new heads and throttle body on either. I don't want to keep opening things up to add parts in. I want to do it right, once.

FM tells me I can expect about 140/140 out of their kit and I believe them. Possible to even get 150 or so depending on exhaust. From what I see on the S&S site, they are not getting as much power and torque. I have yet to speak with S&S directly, though.

Any input greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
porkster (06-25-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Bigt001
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
I am considering both of these. I spoke to Fuel Moto today and had a good discussion with them to learn more about their system. Right off the bat, it's $1,000.00 less than S&S but I am working on spreadsheet to list all the extra costs and with both, there are lots of them. This becomes a $5k upgrade pretty quick.

What I can't tell and maybe you can help me with this is what is the actual difference between the kits at the end of the day? The S&S kit includes a lot of different components that the FM kit does not. If I do this, I am definitely doing the injectors, new heads and throttle body on either. I don't want to keep opening things up to add parts in. I want to do it right, once.

FM tells me I can expect about 140/140 out of their kit and I believe them. Possible to even get 150 or so depending on exhaust. From what I see on the S&S site, they are not getting as much power and torque. I have yet to speak with S&S directly, though.

Any input greatly appreciated.
I went with the Fuel Moto kit including their xxx exhaust and so far I’m happy I did. I’m done putting it together but still need to get it tuned. I’ve started it for a couple of heat cycles and lifters and cam are quite. The only dyno runs I’ve seen with this combination has been from the Fuel Moto dyno so it will be interesting to see the results from my tuner. In my opinion the stock pump with cover with the oil seal work fine. I’m not sure if the S&S kit still includes their oil pump but the money might be better spent on a clutch.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Yeah... I'm definitely doing a new clutch. S&S comes with a cam plate and oil pump but like you said, not sure if it is needed.

Madd Max (04-06-2022)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

I wouldn't spend the $$ on heads, especially the SEs, the stock heads will do 140+ all day long. Fuel Moto knows what they are doing & have done a lot of testing to know what works. There is a 124 in the dyno section @ HTT with 64mm TB, 5.5 injectors, S&S 475s, stock heads, & 2-1 pipe making 140-150, GMR Performance, Steve is one of the best builders & tuners around. You also might consider talking to George Bryce @ Star Racing, that's in your part of the woods.

18deluxerider (03-24-2021)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:53 AM
crackerbiker
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had a 124 motor in my dyna for 7 years. A lot of fun, but not a bike to use as your regular ride. High performance has a price: bike is harder to start and tough on parts (clutches and transmissions). If you have not owned one, consider the skill needed to putt that power to the ground. Very difficult to bring off the line, and powering 2nd gear is an adventure you must be mentally prepared to execute. My M8 with some upgrades is fun to ride. I can power through the gears with no concerns. It starts every time and is dependable, Would not want a 124 motor in my regular touring bike. Food for thought.

The following 2 users liked this post by crackerbiker:
2018sportglide (11-08-2019), iwishiwasdata (08-09-2020)
Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 AM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Originally Posted by crackerbiker
I have had a 124 motor in my dyna for 7 years. A lot of fun, but not a bike to use as your regular ride. High performance has a price: bike is harder to start and tough on parts (clutches and transmissions). If you have not owned one, consider the skill needed to putt that power to the ground. Very difficult to bring off the line, and powering 2nd gear is an adventure you must be mentally prepared to execute. My M8 with some upgrades is fun to ride. I can power through the gears with no concerns. It starts every time and is dependable, Would not want a 124 motor in my regular touring bike. Food for thought.
I had not heard any of this. You're saying that the rear wheel gets loose in first and second gears?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I wouldn't spend the $$ on heads, especially the SEs, the stock heads will do 140+ all day long. Fuel Moto knows what they are doing & have done a lot of testing to know what works. There is a 124 in the dyno section @ HTT with 64mm TB, 5.5 injectors, S&S 475s, stock heads, & 2-1 pipe making 140-150, GMR Performance, Steve is one of the best builders & tuners around. You also might consider talking to George Bryce @ Star Racing, that's in your part of the woods.
Fuel Moto said it's better to get heads because they come with the right valve springs and whereas just buying the right springs is $400.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 AM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
You also might consider talking to George Bryce @ Star Racing, that's in your part of the woods.
One of my local shops put me onto Star but I am not willing to spend that kind of money at this point. A similar upgrade would be around $8k. Awesome stuff though!

Old 02-13-2019, 07:23 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
Fuel Moto said it's better to get heads because they come with the right valve springs and whereas just buying the right springs is $400.
If you are going to use the S&S 475 cam you don’t need hi-lift valve springs. That’s about the limit though. I’ll have a set of S&S valve springs for sale for a good price pretty soon if someone wants them.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

I ha e done a couple of 124 kits. The S&S kit did 130 hp and 140 tq. That had stock heads and throttle body. I have also done a revolution performance build with CNC heads and a HPI throttle body. This came out at 150/150. These are repeatable numbers on all dyno. Not just the dyno of the owner selling you a kit.

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
Eccool (07-17-2019), hd king (10-24-2021)

Quick Reply: S&S 124 kit vs Fuel Moto 124 kit....Help me decide