Sponsored by:

Installing D&D Billet Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Installing D&D Billet Cat?

The warranty is up next month on my '17 RGS. The engine seems solid so I'm considering a Billet Cat 2 into 1 and a power Vision tuner. I have a Fat Cat on my Twin Cam and had one on my old Streetglide. Both had quiet baffles and bikes were torquey. My question is.... I read somewhere that the studs at the exhaust ports are too short for the Billet Cats flanges. Is that true? I know I can double nut them and turn them out some or replace them with longer ones, but I really don't want to do that. Also how much louder is the Billet Cat with the only baffle available in them than a Fat Cat with the quiet Baffle. I really don't want an obnoxiously loud bike. Thanks in adavance for any and all replies.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 PM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
The warranty is up next month on my '17 RGS. The engine seems solid so I'm considering a Billet Cat 2 into 1 and a power Vision tuner. I have a Fat Cat on my Twin Cam and had one on my old Streetglide. Both had quiet baffles and bikes were torquey. My question is.... I read somewhere that the studs at the exhaust ports are too short for the Billet Cats flanges. Is that true? I know I can double nut them and turn them out some or replace them with longer ones, but I really don't want to do that. Also how much louder is the Billet Cat with the only baffle available in them than a Fat Cat with the quiet Baffle. I really don't want an obnoxiously loud bike. Thanks in adavance for any and all replies.
Just put one on my 2017 fit fine

The following users liked this post:
Northside (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Do it!

Northside (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

Mine fit perfectly. 2018 RGS. You should be good to go.

Northside (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

This is something I would like to do, once the warranty runs out. D&D is one sweet exhaust.

Northside (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Ditto no problems on mine

Northside (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:20 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
No issues with the studs or install; we use them quite frequently. The M8 Billet Cat uses what D&D call's a vortex baffle which is unique compared to their traditional louvered and perforated baffles. Sound wise the vortex baffle is going to be most similar to their Twin Cam louvered baffle as they are both louvered designs, this has a reasonable yet aggressive tone and is much less raspy than their perforated performance baffles.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following 2 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
madmat (02-17-2019), Northside (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Northside
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
No issues with the studs or install; we use them quite frequently. The M8 Billet Cat uses what D&D call's a vortex baffle which is unique compared to their traditional louvered and perforated baffles. Sound wise the vortex baffle is going to be most similar to their Twin Cam louvered baffle as they are both louvered designs, this has a reasonable yet aggressive tone and is much less raspy than their perforated performance baffles.
Thanks Jamie and all! I was going to get the Billet Cat from you at Feul Moto and also the air cleaner and Power Vision. I understand you can put in a map for my setup. I'm in Colorado at over a mile high! I see the studs are protruding well past the nuts on my M8 so I didn't understand why they could be a problem, but someone wrote that they did have a problem. My Twin Cam and old Street Glide both had Louvered baffles and they were fine, loud enough but not obnoxious. Thanks again to all who answered! Jamie, I'll be buying it from you for sure now.

fuelmoto (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 PM
fairlydangerous1
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Stock exhaust gaskets are really thick (not an exhaust stud issue) and you may have to pick up some SE exhaust gaskets. They are half as thick and allow an easier install so the header flange fits farther in. SE 17048-98 is part number and they come in pairs. They seal perfectly and make installs a breeze. the stock exhaust ends are rounded a little and fit in easy, most aftermarket exhaust ends are flat and are a tough fit if at all.

Last edited by fairlydangerous1; 02-13-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Northside (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Northside
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fairlydangerous1
Stock exhaust gaskets are really thick (not an exhaust stud issue) and you may have to pick up some SE exhaust gaskets. They are half as thick and allow an easier install so the header flange fits farther in. SE 17048-98 is part number and they come in pairs. They seal perfectly and make installs a breeze. the stock exhaust ends are rounded a little and fit in easy, most aftermarket exhaust ends are flat and are a tough fit if at all.
I actually have a new set of SE exhaust gaskets for my Twin Cam. So they will fit my M8?

Quick Reply: Installing D&D Billet Cat?