Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 114" sumping issue fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

again, the thread title references 2019 114 engines. Lots of comments but how many of them actually have 114 M8 engines?

The following users liked this post:
TexasMotorcycleRider (07-17-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I guess my way of thinking is since there is no definitive fix my only option is to try and manage it. And yes sir, I agree that it sucks to have to alter my riding style and make more frequent stops to check oil on my $43k bike but at this moment I really dont know any other options. I rode all day yesterday in actual temp of 102, I even ran it up to around 5k through several gears and it ran like a champ all day. Hopefully someone will come up with a real fix, until then I will manage the best I can and hope for the best!
I think your plan is the best that can be done. I’m empathetic to the entire situation having been down the same path myself... several times. Under the circumstances you and everyone else still dealing with the issue of sumping are doing the best that can be done. Best wishes and good luck with managing the bike to its best possible performance.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-14-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Old Sport
Agreed - but the ambient temps are a significant and distinctive variable factor in my experience.

I check my oil temp religiously via my LCD dip stick. I am considering options to put that information right in front of me (i.e. temp gauge on dash). Again, to better monitor conditions and manage the issue.

Ride on!
A cheap idea that might be worth considering. Find a used Powervision on eBay. Don’t worry about mating it to the bike. Mount it to the handlebar and plug it into the ECU port under the seat. You won’t need a license from Dynojet for tuning. You can just use the PV display as a multipurpose, multifunctional set of engine monitoring gauges. On a single screen you can observe ETs, Head Temps, Coolant temps (for liquid cooled bikes), spark knock and dozens of other parameters on the engine’s performance.

And so long as its not mated to the bike, you’ll have no impact on the bike’s factory warranty or ESP. You can also make the PV easily removable with various mounting options. If you’re interested in really monitoring your engine’s performance without impacting your warranty, installing a used Powervision without a tuning license is the easiest and least expensive way to montioring every aspect of your engines performance. Just remember for the M8 engine to get the canbus wire connection and you’re good to go.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-14-2019 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kap1 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I think your plan is the best that can be done. I’m empathetic to the entire situation having been down the same path myself... several times. Under the circumstances you and everyone else still dealing with the issue of sumping are doing the best that can be done. Best wishes and good luck with managing the bike to its best possible performance.

Thank you sir, frustrating....you bet but things could always be worse!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
A cheap idea that might be worth considering. Find a used Powervision on eBay. Don’t worry about mating it to the bike. Mount it to the handlebar and plug it into the ECU port under the seat. You won’t need a license from Dynojet for tuning. You can just use the PV display as a multipurpose, multifunctional set of engine monitoring gauges. On a single screen you can observe ETs, Head Temps, Coolant temps (for liquid cooled bikes), spark knock and dozens of other parameters on the engine’s performance.

And so long as its not mated to the bike, you’ll have no impact on the bike’s factory warranty or ESP. You can also make the PV easily removable with various mounting options. If you’re interested in really monitoring your engine’s performance without impacting your warranty, installing a used Powervision without a tuning license is the easiest and least expensive way to montioring every aspect of your engines performance. Just remember for the M8 engine to get the canbus wire connection and you’re good to go.

Good idea, I have an FP3 from my 2017 SGS, I will watch the temps on my phone. What would be an engine and oil temp to be concerned with? I assume in a sumping occurence these temps would be up over normal just not sure what number should cause concern.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Quik
Good idea, I have an FP3 from my 2017 SGS, I will watch the temps on my phone. What would be an engine and oil temp to be concerned with? I assume in a sumping occurence these temps would be up over normal just not sure what number should cause concern.
I can’t speak to oil temps as I never monitored them at the dipstick. I did monitor ETs as measured by the sensors that send signals to the M8s ECU. For liquid-cooled M8s, ETs above 300 should be closely montiored. If they eventually drop below 300, no big deal. If they get up around 320... and stay there.... IMO, those are early signals of sumping or some other engine issue. If ETs rise above 340, then IMO a liquid-cooled M8 engine is struggling and is likely having some type of engine problem. IMO, a strong candidate for the rootcause is sumping once the ETs get this high in a liquid-cooled M8.

if the temps are 340 or higher, its very easy to confirm if sumping is the cause. Just pull the dipstick (be careful because it will be extraordinarily HOT). If the dipstick now reads “ADD OIL”, you just confirmed that sumping was the reason for the high ETs.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-14-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Shahin7497
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sumping

I installed my A1 vent dip stick and ride above 5000 rpm in shot day and no signs of sumping. ET hi temps were 360
and oily temp were 245. Had it on. The dyno for a pull and got 102/82 with fuel Moto header and hi rollers and power vison

Old 07-16-2019, 03:13 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Can someone please post a link to the venting dipstick, scrolled through dozens of posts and didn’t see a link.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Can someone please post a link to the venting dipstick, scrolled through dozens of posts and didn’t see a link.
Here:
https://www.a1cycles.net/new-products
and here:
https://www.feulingparts.com/product...NK%20BREATHERS (scroll down to vented dipstick)

Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad
Thanks - and yall really feel like this prevents, or helps prevent sumping?

Quick Reply: 2019 114" sumping issue fixed?