Sponsored by:

Issues with lugging/hesitation 2018 Road Glide M8 stage IV kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Caryon2wheels
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with lugging/hesitation 2018 Road Glide M8 stage IV kit

Spent over 7k on a Stage IV kit installation in my 2018 RGS, just got around 500 miles since its installation. I have been having hesitation issues off the line and lugging until it gets going. I had my local dealer do the install so my warranty would remain intact since it's a brand new unit. I also put a D&D 2 into 1 exhaust on this unit. Well I took it back to the dealership thinking perhaps it was an minor adjustment that may be needed to get the correct tuning. In a nutshell the service writer told me I would just have to deal with it because the tuner is the issue and if I put the proper tuner in the bike and something happened to the motor Harley Davidson wouldn't warranty the motor. My blood immediately began to boil, but before I went over the edge I was thinking I'd ask if perhaps anyone else has had this issue. Would Harley really sell a kit that wouldnt operate properly and then tell me it will cost more money to put in a new tuner and the new tuner will void your warranty. I am floored that when they were selling me the kit and the higher upgrades, I wasn't informed of this and now that I'm already $7000 deep into this build I'm told I have to accept the fact my bike isn't going to run properly or spend more money in order to avoid my warranty if something does go wrong.

I can tell you I want to go in there full on militant style and raise some hell, but that will surely not end well for anyone or get my problem resolved satisfactorily. Any advice or experiences that I can draw some knowledge from would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-24-2019, 09:08 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Unfortunately most dealers don’t care about the customer, only the profit margin. You can look into discountesp.com, they have an esp that doesn’t mind if you use an aftermarket tuner

Old 02-24-2019, 10:50 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

So, the dealer installed a Stage lV kit, assuming they used the Screamin Eagle Tuner. not sure if during the build or afterwards you installed the D&D 2-1, but the Screamin Eagle Tuner with that Exhaust, is a problem . The dealer only has a canned map w very little adjustment to stay EPA compliant, and your setup w that exhaust requires tuning outside the parameters on the Screamin Eagle tuner. Did the dealership install the exhaust ? If so at your request or their recommendation? I believe the Stage lV requires Screamin Eagle or Equivalent type Slip-Ons, so going that direction w factory head pipe will most likely correct your issue and perform much better then current. Sadly though you will be returning to a head pipe w Cat. They are not wrong with their position of an aftermarket tuner voiding warranty. That started in ‘17 when HD paid EPA penalties and made aggreements w EPA to void warranties, influencing customers and dealership to stop installing Non EPA products on the bikes.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,520 Likes on 4,423 Posts

if the dealer installed the exhaust on an at the time EPA compliant bike, they subject themselves to serious beaucoup $$$$ in fines and other punishments by the factory..blows my mind how many dealerships I read about here that are still living in the past and ignoring the rules, and pleading ignorant/uniformed is not acceptable. But ultimately the onus on understanding and choosing to break the rules about taking OEM out of compliance resides on the Motorcycle owner, most everyone here either already or should know that. It's simple, know the rules, don't rely on dealerships, and choose to play by them or not at your own risk. It's all explained in the Owners manual.

Notice:
D&D Performance Exhaust Systems are designed for closed course racing applications.
Not for use on pollution controlled vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:55 AM
Caryon2wheels
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
So, the dealer installed a Stage lV kit, assuming they used the Screamin Eagle Tuner. not sure if during the build or afterwards you installed the D&D 2-1, but the Screamin Eagle Tuner with that Exhaust, is a problem . The dealer only has a canned map w very little adjustment to stay EPA compliant, and your setup w that exhaust requires tuning outside the parameters on the Screamin Eagle tuner. Did the dealership install the exhaust ? If so at your request or their recommendation? I believe the Stage lV requires Screamin Eagle or Equivalent type Slip-Ons, so going that direction w factory head pipe will most likely correct your issue and perform much better then current. Sadly though you will be returning to a head pipe w Cat. They are not wrong with their position of an aftermarket tuner voiding warranty. That started in ‘17 when HD paid EPA penalties and made aggreements w EPA to void warranties, influencing customers and dealership to stop installing Non EPA products on the bikes.
they installed the D&D as part of the build

The following users liked this post:
LoneRiderFLH (01-15-2021)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:21 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

So it sounds like you went to a dealer, that wasn't very experienced with the build in question, and they let you get slightly astray.

The way I see it, you have a couple ways to fix the issue of the bike running poorly. Hopefully they gave you your stock parts back, and you can put the stock head pipe back on, and put the slip on mufflers of your choice on with the factory head pipe. Or you can choose to forfeit your factory warranty and use an aftermarket tuner to resolve the issue and run what you already have.

I know it sucks, that you have what you thought you wanted, and it runs like ****. It sucks that there is a dealership that assembled that setup without knowing it wasn't going to work. So you can fight with them to make it right one way or another, or you can take all your paperwork and the bike somewhere else and have them rectify it, and document the issues, and then take them to small claims court for reparations.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:49 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,431 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Couple of things- You must use HD approved components to maintain warranty, (items registered on the SWR) no matter what the dealer says- HD makes that decision, not the dealer.
SE legal kits have an EPA/CARB approved cal with the SE tuner. Change the recipe, change the cake. SE does not offer a cal for a D&D exhaust.

Side note: You spent $7000?
What else did you get? Most expensive stage kit is $2700, D&D is $1100,tuner is $300, so $4100 in parts @ retail, and labor should have been $1000-$1200 on the install/tune.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:12 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

I had a feeling you were going to report back that the dealership installed the exhaust system, was it their recommended exhaust for the build? As others have agreed, right now the best course of action is put the stock head pipe and a great set of slip-ons and enjoy the Stage lV kit as it was designed. Yeah.... I want going to ask about the 7K spent for this. OUCH!

Old 02-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
I had a feeling you were going to report back that the dealership installed the exhaust system, was it their recommended exhaust for the build? As others have agreed, right now the best course of action is put the stock head pipe and a great set of slip-ons and enjoy the Stage lV kit as it was designed. Yeah.... I want going to ask about the 7K spent for this. OUCH!
Returning it to stock will not restore the warranty. It is gone forever once you put the non-approved muffler on. Unless the dealer lies about it and deceives HD.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
Returning it to stock will not restore the warranty. It is gone forever once you put the non-approved muffler on. Unless the dealer lies about it and deceives HD.
It will most likely make it operate in a reasonable manner. That's what the OP is about.

Quick Reply: Issues with lugging/hesitation 2018 Road Glide M8 stage IV kit