Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty

Old 02-27-2019, 09:04 PM
sweetglidez
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default warranty

if you were buying a 2019 M8 would you purchase an extended warranty(ESP)?

Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 896 Likes on 509 Posts

I did not. I figured if something catastrophic was gonna happen it would happen in the first 2 years. Not full proof but I’d like to go aftermarket Stage 2 in 2 years.

The following users liked this post:
sweetglidez (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,490 Likes on 4,407 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetglidez;18069248[[b
If you were buying a 2019 M8 would you purchase an extended warranty(ESP)?
welcome....but way too vague and too many variables..if you are considering buying a 2019 and are asking for opinions/advice why don't you tell us what you are interested in, what mods you would like to do, how many miles and distances you ride, how long you would intend to keep it, etc, and you'll likely get more useful and helpful suggestions

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-27-2019 at 09:16 PM.
sweetglidez (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:14 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Studlintsean
I did not. I figured if something catastrophic was gonna happen it would happen in the first 2 years. Not full proof but I’d like to go aftermarket Stage 2 in 2 years.
Maybe it was a sales tactic, but I was told that since ESP providers are not HD, they aren’t subject to the HD/EPA consent decree that is making life difficult for those who want real higher performance components on their bikes. So they seem to care less about things like tuners and non-hd components.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
Hawg Runner (03-06-2019), sweetglidez (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:55 PM
sweetglidez
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
welcome....but way too vague and too many variables..if you are considering buying a 2019 and are asking for opinions/advice why don't you tell us what you are interested in, what mods you would like to do, how many miles and distances you ride, how long you would intend to keep it, etc, and you'll likely get more useful and helpful suggestions
sorry for the vague question, so I guess I can appreciate the vague response. Guess I would be better served looking at some other threads. Thank you so much tho! Purchasing tomorrow, commute to/from work 130 miles round trip every now and then. do some riding up and down the east coast, a few bike weeks maybe more cross country with the new touring bike. Just trying to get some opinions on the idea. its about a 1500$ hit for an extra 3 years with tire and wheel thrown in. plan on keeping it at least 5 years more than likely a little longer.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sweetglidez
sorry for the vague question, so I guess I can appreciate the vague response. Guess I would be better served looking at some other threads. Thank you so much tho! Purchasing tomorrow, commute to/from work 130 miles round trip every now and then. do some riding up and down the east coast, a few bike weeks maybe more cross country with the new touring bike. Just trying to get some opinions on the idea. its about a 1500$ hit for an extra 3 years with tire and wheel thrown in. plan on keeping it at least 5 years more than likely a little longer.
no prob, that helps..imo opinion there's a very good chance over 5 years and your riding plans it would be worth it....it don't take much to spend $1500 and these ain't Toyota Camrys..You probably already know this but if you are planning powertrain performance mods they need to be approved Screaming Eagle and installed within 60 days of purchase in order for the ESP to be the same coverage as the factory 2 year. Some added perks as well using the ESP is they will cover some towing, overnight accommodations, rental and such. If you think there's a chance you won't keep it for as long as you intend to, you can buy the ESP closer to the 2 year expiration although it will be more expensive than right off the bat. Wife and I bought the 5 year extended HD sponsored ESP with tire and wheel for $2500 apiece about a month before the factory warranty was set to expire. Ours are 2017s and we have 55,000 miles combined and plan on riding a lot more and keeping them for quite awhile, so we feel it was worth it. Wife a I have already had close to $5000 of repairs during our covered factory 2 year and I don't think like a fine wine it will get better with age.

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Hawg Runner (03-06-2019), stixvrad (03-04-2019), sweetglidez (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,198 Likes on 11,126 Posts

No! ESPs are for people that ar math impaired, or don’t have cash in case something actually happens. Yeah...some people have repairs that exceed the ESP cost. but, the majority of people don’t. And the ESP pricing is in the favor of the provider on the average.

The following 2 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
strych9 (03-06-2019), sweetglidez (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
No! ESPs are for people that ar math impaired, or don’t have cash in case something actually happens. Yeah...some people have repairs that exceed the ESP cost. but, the majority of people don’t. And the ESP pricing is in the favor of the provider on the average.

Booooo, sorry but that kind of broad statement sounds like something a senile old 'geezer' would make!

edit: To OP..also if you trade it in with time left on ESP they will prorate a credit to you, or if you sell on your own it is transferable so will make the bike not only much easier to sell, but will command more of a premium resale by taking the risk and worry off the board for prospective buyers...you can also cash it in for a refund if you decide you want to void your warranty with aftermarket performance parts and put it towards those upgrades..so it has some built in flexibility

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-27-2019 at 11:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Hawg Runner (03-06-2019), Yamaharley (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:27 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So what you're saying is that there are only two classes of people that buy extended warranties....STUPID and BROKE.

mjwebb (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:22 AM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 896 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad

Maybe it was a sales tactic, but I was told that since ESP providers are not HD, they aren’t subject to the HD/EPA consent decree that is making life difficult for those who want real higher performance components on their bikes. So they seem to care less about things like tuners and non-hd components.
Yea I have heard mix reviews on this. I guess another major factor for me, which MJWebb touched on above, is your plans during the period. I’m a fairly young guy early in my career with a wife and 4 month old. As much as I wish I could ride a ton of miles per year, between work and family life 5,000/ year is what I’ve averaged the past 2 years which I don’t think will
change much (maybe even decrease). It’s all about risk/ reward (which I know you know having read your posts here). For my situation, I don’t feel like it’s worth it. OP may be a different story after reading his plans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: warranty