Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Dyno Numbers

Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 PM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigt001

Fuel Moto 124” kit, SDR clutch, Woods 408 cam, Fuel Moto xxx head pipe with Street Outlaw mufflers, SE 64 throttle body with ported manifold
Nice results there, arm stretcher for sure. What springs and how many spacers are you running with that SDR? I have the VP035 on mine that came with the heavy black springs and I put two spacers behind them on advice from someone else. This is by far the stiffest clutch I've ever run before. Have run a Rivera pro clutch with the gold spring and a Bandit with two shims and both of them had an easier pull than my SDR does. I'm wondering if I really need both shims behind the springs or not. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:13 PM
wallyj
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I'm hoping for similar numbers

[

QUOTE=Bigt001;18263768]
Fuel Moto 124” kit, SDR clutch, Woods 408 cam, Fuel Moto xxx head pipe with Street Outlaw mufflers, SE 64 throttle body with ported manifold[/QUOTE]

I've got a very simliar combo, except 128". Had it tuned but results were not great and drivability was poor. Going to find another tuner.. your results give me hope.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

QUOTE=Bigt001;18263768]
Fuel Moto 124” kit, SDR clutch, Woods 408 cam, Fuel Moto xxx head pipe with Street Outlaw mufflers, SE 64 throttle body with ported manifold[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by wallyj
I've got a very simliar combo, except 128". Had it tuned but results were not great and drivability was poor. Going to find another tuner.. your results give me hope.
I've got a very similar build in a 124 and my numbers came in at 136 TQ / 148 HP I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed in the torque below 4,000 RPM honestly expecting to be 140 or better. Just wondering where you numbers came in and what your issues are with the rideability?

Last edited by Beartooth Rider; 05-20-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 PM
wallyj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Beartooth Rider
QUOTE=Bigt001;18263768]
Fuel Moto 124” kit, SDR clutch, Woods 408 cam, Fuel Moto xxx head pipe with Street Outlaw mufflers, SE 64 throttle body with ported manifold

I've got a very similar build in a 124 and my numbers came in at 136 TQ / 148 HP I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed in the torque below 4,000 RPM honestly expecting to be 140 or better. Just wondering where you numbers came in and what your issues are with the rideability?[/QUOTE]

It made 130 HP and over 160 TQ, but the dyno chart appears invalid to me. It shows the HP and Torque on two separate graphs, with different scales, and shows mph rather than RPM. There is a spike in the upper range of the torque graph that I think is bogus. I am waiting for the tuner to send me a new chart with RPM so I can see if it makes sense. Funny you mention 4000rpm, because with that tune, my bike would barely run under that. If you could get it moving, and transition to full throttle, it took off like a rocket from there up. I was suprised just how hard it pulled. It was so bad in normal riding that it was not usable. Flat on its face or bucking until it got moving. It would almost run ok at cruise, but not quite. I've since abandoned that tune in favor of the base map Fuel Moto sent me, and have done some autotuning. It's running pretty well now, but not making the big power. This will have to do until I line up another tuner. Once I get that done, I'll post the new chart. If the old tuner ever sends the revised chart, I'll post that for comments.

Last edited by wallyj; 05-20-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Beartooth Rider (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

Steve at GMR Performance is a great tuner, he's located in Fort Worth, I know he's pretty busy but it's worth a call. 817-741-2000

The following users liked this post:
wallyj (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:50 AM
wallyj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Steve at GMR Performance is a great tuner, he's located in Fort Worth, I know he's pretty busy but it's worth a call. 817-741-2000
Thanks for the reference! That is one of 2 shops I have on my list to call this week.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,615 Posts

Let me guess: tuned by a dealer? If so, that was your first mistake.

While charts like these do not by definition mean its a bad tune, when I see a chart like that I have to question the mental capacity of the tuner. Who in their right mind thinks a chart like that is useful in any way shape or form?

I've got a very similar build in a 124 and my numbers came in at 136 TQ / 148 HP I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed in the torque below 4,000 RPM honestly expecting to be 140 or better. Just wondering where you numbers came in and what your issues are with the rideability?
It made 130 HP and over 160 TQ, but the dyno chart appears invalid to me. It shows the HP and Torque on two separate graphs, with different scales, and shows mph rather than RPM. There is a spike in the upper range of the torque graph that I think is bogus. I am waiting for the tuner to send me a new chart with RPM so I can see if it makes sense. Funny you mention 4000rpm, because with that tune, my bike would barely run under that. If you could get it moving, and transition to full throttle, it took off like a rocket from there up. I was suprised just how hard it pulled. It was so bad in normal riding that it was not usable. Flat on its face or bucking until it got moving. It would almost run ok at cruise, but not quite. I've since abandoned that tune in favor of the base map Fuel Moto sent me, and have done some autotuning. It's running pretty well now, but not making the big power. This will have to do until I line up another tuner. Once I get that done, I'll post the new chart. If the old tuner ever sends the revised chart, I'll post that for comments.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

It made 130 HP and over 160 TQ, but the dyno chart appears invalid to me. It shows the HP and Torque on two separate graphs, with different scales, and shows mph rather than RPM. There is a spike in the upper range of the torque graph that I think is bogus. I am waiting for the tuner to send me a new chart with RPM so I can see if it makes sense. Funny you mention 4000rpm, because with that tune, my bike would barely run under that. If you could get it moving, and transition to full throttle, it took off like a rocket from there up. I was suprised just how hard it pulled. It was so bad in normal riding that it was not usable. Flat on its face or bucking until it got moving. It would almost run ok at cruise, but not quite. I've since abandoned that tune in favor of the base map Fuel Moto sent me, and have done some autotuning. It's running pretty well now, but not making the big power. This will have to do until I line up another tuner. Once I get that done, I'll post the new chart. If the old tuner ever sends the revised chart, I'll post that for comments.
Thank you for your reply! I've been following this build (FM 124, 408 cam, 2-1-2, …) pretty closely since Fuel Moto introduced it. In fact, it was the FM dyno chart on a 2017 RGS that reported 151TQ / 154HP that triggered my purchase decision. I understood that was possibly one of their best results and really didn't expect to duplicate it but still I decided to go forward as an exercise in validation. From my own observations (on the internet), peek numbers around 145 TQ / 145 HP +/- with 125-130 TQ at 2500 RPM seems to be a very realistic expectation.

I have to ask if you have compared the PV tune your tuner created (i.e. AFR, Spark, and VE tables) with the base tune from FM?

Interesting that you have resorted to Auto Tuning the base map from FM because that was my first thought. The base map should have been pretty close if you have replicated the FM build as I have. The only variables I can think of is would be during the build, things like deck height and ring gap effecting things like compression would yield different results.

Your description of the rideability reminds me of the Suzuki TM 400 Moto Crosser AKA "Widow Maker" back in the early Seventies. It had a power band that was only about 500 rpm wide, but when it came in you had better be holding on.

Please keep us updated on your quest for rideable performance.

Last edited by Beartooth Rider; 05-21-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM
wallyj
Intermediate

I spent quite a while comparing the tune I paid for and the FM tune, and the FM tune after autotuing.
To be clear, FM told me the tune
they provided was a base map that would require comprehensive tuning. Sine my bike is a Softail, they did not have a better map. Almost all the ones they have built and tuned are touring models.
It was not a dealer that did the tune, it was a local shop and certified dynojet tuning center.
I have not learned much looking at his tune, particularly after I saw he did not have the fuel injector size set correctly. I'd love to get a copy of someone's good tune for a similar combo to learn from

Last edited by wallyj; 05-21-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-24-2019, 04:06 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Default 2019 Road King w/FM 124 Stage 4

I just got back from FuelMoto where they installed and dyno tuned their 124" Stage 4 kit on my bone stock 2019 Road King. Dyno chart is attached, but results were: (Stock 107" with 3500 miles on it) 71.62hp/98.27tq The after install 124" kit is 151.09hp/140.57tq

The following 4 users liked this post by hdrider1:
Beartooth Rider (05-25-2019), TriGeezer (04-25-2020), wallyj (05-25-2019), yobtaf103 (05-24-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M8 Dyno Numbers