Sponsored by:

SiriusXM Signal on Boom GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:24 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default SiriusXM Signal on Boom GTS

I just added the module to my '19SGS and found that the signal is marginal at best. I have it mounted on the magnetic bracket on the right (throttle) side just above the speaker pod. I noticed on some instructions for an earlier model that the antenna cable connecting to the puck should be run so that it is facing the radio or towards the center of the fairing.

Does it matter which way this antenna is turned? I thought my metal windshield trim may be affecting signal but apparently lots of people have this issue across multiple year models. When I am on the freeway it seems to be ok, but on side streets the signal is spotty. There is nothing directly above me, just along the sides of the street but for some reason the signal drops intermittently. Sirius support suggested doing a signal refresh but I don't see how that would make a difference.

Anyone have XM that works perfect?

Old 03-05-2019, 03:11 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't have one on my bike but the signal in my wife's Durango and in the Buick I drive drops ALL the time. If there is a tree by it, a power line over head, a hill side. Pretty much anything. I'm not a huge fan of it. Back on the subject....LOL. I don't think it's out of the norm to have intermittent signal loss with XM.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:33 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigffb
I don't have one on my bike but the signal in my wife's Durango and in the Buick I drive drops ALL the time. If there is a tree by it, a power line over head, a hill side. Pretty much anything. I'm not a huge fan of it. Back on the subject....LOL. I don't think it's out of the norm to have intermittent signal loss with XM.
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe with XM and I rarely lose signal. It only happens when there is something directly blocking the signal like the roof of my garage. Even in my companies parking garage I get spotty signal....which is actually impressive.

So, I am not used to this. I think I am going to move the antenna to the far front of the magnetic bracket and see if that helps.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 526 Posts

Move it out side the fairing beside the fairing vent. I had the same issue with my ‘17 CVO Limited. Once I relocated the antenna outside the fairing I never lost signal again. Use some good 3M double sided tape to keep it in place.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (03-25-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:25 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mofo67
Move it out side the fairing beside the fairing vent. I had the same issue with my ‘17 CVO Limited. Once I relocated the antenna outside the fairing I never lost signal again. Use some good 3M double sided tape to keep it in place.
That is not an option, I have a windshield bag and use it frequently. I am going to toy around with location under the fairing first. The day I tried it it was very overcast and from what I have been reading that can be an issue with any GPS. It's not a problem with my Santa Fe but apparently there are other cars that don't like cloud cover too much. I find it strange that not many actually do have an issue, this problem is out there but not in near the numbers I would imagine. So, I'll do what I can and see if I can get it working better under the fairing.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:38 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

Two things you can do 1) move antenna outside of fairing, 2) Get new upgraded antenna P/N: 76000221A OR B. I think the latest version is 76000221B.

You may be able to use new, upgraded antenna inside fairing and get acceptable reception...I have P/N: 76000221A mounted outside fairing and it is MUCH better than the antenna that comes with the XM kit. Best reception will always be with upgraded antenna mounted outside of the fairing. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:51 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
Two things you can do 1) move antenna outside of fairing, 2) Get new upgraded antenna P/N: 76000221A OR B. I think the latest version is 76000221B.

You may be able to use new, upgraded antenna inside fairing and get acceptable reception...I have P/N: 76000221A mounted outside fairing and it is MUCH better than the antenna that comes with the XM kit. Best reception will always be with upgraded antenna mounted outside of the fairing. Good luck!
According to the parts list for my XM kit this already has the upgraded antenna.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 03-06-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:55 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
This is a brand new XM module for the Boom GTS, are you saying that there is an upgraded antenna for this?
The kit for the new GTS radio has the B antenna. You've got the newest one.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,936 Likes on 2,344 Posts

On the street glide, the antenna is not very good in the fairing. As said, if you want good reception move it out side the fairing on the vent. Works great, almost never loose signal.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:50 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

What Dave said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Appears GTS already has latest antenna....

Quick Reply: SiriusXM Signal on Boom GTS