Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another great OEM online source

Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 AM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

has anyone used shopbigskyharley.com? Just googling harley parts and they came up. About $100 cheaper for a stage 1 than others.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I'd rather use online. Don't have to have a "relationship" to maintain with anyone. It's not like there are an abundance of "good local dealers" willing to sell parts at 20% off with no tax either.

Edit; I've wasted more time, driving to a dealer, sitting at the counter trying to either:
1) convince the guy I actually want the part I want, or
2) finding the part FOR them since they cannot find it or
3) ordering the part (usually paying more for it) and having to wait three weeks for it to come in anyway.
So....No thanks. I find it funny people put up with that. For me, it's Keyboard + paypal and it's on its way. Too Easy.
yes, this!!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,375 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Kind of funny . Establish a good relation with good local dealer you beat all these silly online deal every time.
That may have worked with the Mom & Pop HD shops of the past, but the new superstores have overhead to pay for...

I used to have a relationship with two local HD shops (2006ish).. In one, the parts manager was a personal friend, and he gave me a discount. The other, the sales manager was a professional friend, he gave me a great deal on a new bike and introduced me to the service manager who would take care of me..... Because of those personal relationships, my name was all over the stores' computers and I knew the parts counter people/service people by name.... The parts manager moved out-of-state, the sales manager got another job, and all the people who knew me, stopped giving any discounts ASAP..... and they would even charge ABOVE MSRP for small items like bolts, spacers, etc.

The relationships that got me treated well, were with specific individuals, the store/organization has no "relationships", nor did they seem interested in forming/maintaining them. They just have profit margins to make...

I went to the online parts buying and never looked back....!!!!!

Last edited by hattitude; 03-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Yeah, one thing about the San Diego Dealers is that no part is below 2.99 Needed to replace the sealing screws on a 02 fuel tank for fuel filter change. 10 screws were 29.90.. Was looking for a rubber dust cover for a FXDWG. SDHD had one but said I'd have to by a pack of 5 if I wanted one more. Got the same spiel from El Cajon HD. Fortunately, South Bay had an open pack.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I'd rather use online. Don't have to have a "relationship" to maintain with anyone. It's not like there are an abundance of "good local dealers" willing to sell parts at 20% off with no tax either.

Edit; I've wasted more time, driving to a dealer, sitting at the counter trying to either:
1) convince the guy I actually want the part I want, or
2) finding the part FOR them since they cannot find it or
3) ordering the part (usually paying more for it) and having to wait three weeks for it to come in anyway.
So....No thanks. I find it funny people put up with that. For me, it's Keyboard + paypal and it's on its way. Too Easy.
I'm with that ^^^^^^

I don't want a "relationship", I want the parts. My pat response to "I can order that" is "So can I".

The following users liked this post:
GOV5 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Yeah, one thing about the San Diego Dealers is that no part is below 2.99 Needed to replace the sealing screws on a 02 fuel tank for fuel filter change. 10 screws were 29.90.. Was looking for a rubber dust cover for a FXDWG. SDHD had one but said I'd have to by a pack of 5 if I wanted one more. Got the same spiel from El Cajon HD. Fortunately, South Bay had an open pack.
And folks are wondering why HD sales are down? Really? Could it possibly be that after years of this nonsense, folks are finally tired of the motorcycle business in general, and HD specifically?

Campy Roadie (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 AM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
And folks are wondering why HD sales are down? Really? Could it possibly be that after years of this nonsense, folks are finally tired of the motorcycle business in general, and HD specifically?
Gone are the days of selling bikes 2500 over msrp. I just price checked a bike I was going to order( I did) without haggling he dropped freight and set up. I hope was the time is closer I can get a deal on parts and esp. If no deal on parts it will be surdyke and all they'll get is the tuning fee.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Not sure how parts sales effects motorcycle sales. I think one of the things hurting HD deals and forcing them to reduce part inventory is the boutique atmosphere that mother HD demanded of the dealers in the late 90s and 2000s. The large layouts are expensive. They add a handling cost to the small parts. HD replacement parts still seem cheaper than the Japanese stuff. Dealers typically stock parts for anything more than a few years old anyway.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,741 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Not sure how parts sales effects motorcycle sales. I think one of the things hurting HD deals and forcing them to reduce part inventory is the boutique atmosphere that mother HD demanded of the dealers in the late 90s and 2000s. The large layouts are expensive. They add a handling cost to the small parts. HD replacement parts still seem cheaper than the Japanese stuff. Dealers typically stock parts for anything more than a few years old anyway.
I think one of the things hurting HD deals and forcing them to reduce part inventory is the boutique atmosphere that mother HD demanded of the dealers in the late 90s and 2000s ... I couldn't agree more ... Gone are the days when guys like us could walk in and not be inundated with/by all the cutesy stuff, and I'm not talking about chicks :<(

Old 03-12-2019, 03:58 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

I agree with you about the demands MoCo put on the dealers to have to cough up money for these big elaborate dealerships. That must have cost the franchise owners millions for each one.
It did put pressure on the owners to generate more profits to pay for their business. But again, did we as customers ask for that? NO, I don't think so. I don't require a massive building to serve me as a customer. But I don't want a run-down building either. Instead of forcing the owners into a "mold" for a dealership look, it could have been done more economically with a local flavor.

But all that aside, it still doesn't make for a reason that I shouldn't look for the best pricing I can get either. I have done business with my local dealer for 20 years now. I have bought my HD bikes from them. I still don't get any kind if favorable pricing in parts. I do not, and will not pay even MSRP on bikes though, and they know that. Either negotiate with me or I'm buying somewhere that will...even if that means going to another brand.

I do business with my local dealer for one specific reason...their service dept. I am not a wrench at all, and I don't care to be. So I need a dealer with a good shop who can maintain and FIX my bike in a hurry. None of this "we need a week" business. I expect to have it back the next day in most cases, and never longer than two days. And so far, they are the only one in my town that can do that. But with they way they treated me a the last ESP warranty work, I am not satisfied with the "tactics" they used. I think I have bought my last bike from them. I have never been "jacked around" by them in the past(that I know about), but there was NO QUESTION about it this last time...and Iet them know it in no uncertain terms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another great OEM online source