Sponsored by:

oil pump on se stage 3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:26 AM
wheelock4
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default oil pump on se stage 3?

hear a lot about sumping on first m8s out. mine rebuilt at tech center in milwaukee to se stage 3. I was told when they do se stage 3 they use a bigger oil pump. can anyone confirm this or was I being fed a line of ?????. by the way mine is 2017 and cam out in 2016 as demo. no problems yet though. 15000 miles.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Do you have a parts list for your build? That's the only way to know what they put in your bike.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:11 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by annibel
hear a lot about sumping on first m8s out. mine rebuilt at tech center in milwaukee to se stage 3. I was told when they do se stage 3 they use a bigger oil pump. can anyone confirm this or was I being fed a line of ?????. by the way mine is 2017 and cam out in 2016 as demo. no problems yet though. 15000 miles.
No there was not a larger oil pump installed. Harley did not, nor do they presently, have but one size oil pump for these. They have since your build, had many revisions to the pump and even now include a seal to assist w stopping the Sumping issue, the verdict is still out.
I too have a first release '17 CVO with a Stage lll build. I also had a the issue when the M8 First rolled out with the oil pump relief having the debri in it from the vendor, jamming open the relief valve and losing oil pressure. Thankfully nothing was damaged and like you, fortunately I have not sumped.

Last edited by GlidingJoe; 03-09-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:35 AM
wheelock4
Tourer

well that sums that up on pump. would like to do as cazador says but there is no paper work or documentation on upgrade so cant see what was done or put in motor. will forever remain a mystery bike. I guess all I can do is ride and hope for the best.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

well that sums that up on pump. would like to do as cazador says but there is no paper work or documentation on upgrade so cant see what was done or put in motor. will forever remain a mystery bike. I guess all I can do is ride and hope for the best.
Go back and demand the paperwork, it has all the part numbers on it , and you should of been given it anyway.

Peace

Old 03-09-2019, 09:51 PM
QAfred
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

This is what you get on stage III M8 kit.

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline....ed/2017_SE.pdf

Old 03-09-2019, 11:41 PM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

A new pump isn't guaranteed to cure Sumping.The best pump is the one in your bike that hasn't sumped and probably never will! Forget the paranoia and just ride!

Old 03-10-2019, 07:52 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
A new pump isn't guaranteed to cure Sumping.The best pump is the one in your bike that hasn't sumped and probably never will! Forget the paranoia and just ride!
Exactly!!! Unless you're replacing for other reasons, leave well enough alone and go enjoy the ride!

Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM
wheelock4
Tourer

to agoober. there is nothing to go back for. upgrade was done at tech center in Milwaukee and there are no records or anything entered in computer under my vin to show it. dozens of posters have told me they are suppose to do that but it wasn't done and I have called the customer service center in Milwaukee many times with same results. huge difference between what they should do and what they did. they verbaly say they did it but offer no paperwork. my loss.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

to agoober. there is nothing to go back for. upgrade was done at tech center in Milwaukee and there are no records or anything entered in computer under my vin to show it. dozens of posters have told me they are suppose to do that but it wasn't done and I have called the customer service center in Milwaukee many times with same results. huge difference between what they should do and what they did. they verbaly say they did it but offer no paperwork. my loss.

annibel, when was your Stage lll kit installed on your 114"?

Quick Reply: oil pump on se stage 3?