Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwalkee 8 Pressure Switch

Old 03-09-2019, 08:28 AM
PBONO16
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milwalkee 8 Pressure Switch

Has anyone had an issue with the Pressure Switch?
After a couple rides My oil pressure light activated. Thinking it may be a low oil indicator I spoke to my Dealer and they said it could be a bad unit. I rode the bike out after checking my oil level. Light went out while riding and came back on at a traffic light near my dealler and went off when I started moving. When I arrived and stopped my bike the light came on again left it running to show the service department. Was instructrd to go back out and shut it off they believed it was activated. Upon going out to shut off my bike I noticed a welt area under it. Low and behold it was oil pouring out. Turns out that the pressure switch had worked its way out. Will let you know what I am told of why this happened. I am now not to happy that this has occured. Now I will be riding with is my Engine ok or has any damage happened that isn't showing up at this point.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

My oil pressure switch started acting up last season... now and again, but not always. It would come on while riding and other times after starting the engine. Each time, the light went out after shutting down and re-starting the engine (re-booting). When I spoke with my dealer at the end of the season, I told them that they probably wouldn't be able to replicate the problem as it was only intermittent. They just took my word for it and replaced the switch on warranty. I haven't been able to ride it since as winter hit by the time they brought the bike back.

From what I've read, there have been a number of oil pressure switches fail, but I've never heard of one 'working it's way out'. So how much oil did you lose through the leaking switch, or is this something you're still waiting to find out?

Old 03-11-2019, 06:22 AM
PBONO16
5th Gear
Default Oil Loss from Pressure switch

I didn't lose oil while Riding It started when I arrived at my dealership so I am not sure how much was lost. I'm thankful that it didnt happen on my way over to the dealer since I wouldn't have been aware of the oil loss. since I was told it was most likely a faulty pressure switch. I have learned from this experience to pull over and check for leaks if this should happen again and not trust an on the phone diagnosis. The service manager said he has never seen this situation before and didn't mention the failure of the Pressure switch.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,557 Likes on 5,153 Posts

On our 2017 M8 on a trip riding along ZERO oil pressure. Well it did not blow so good indication it was the switch . Call HD in Pigeon Forge just as they opened . Rolled in 15 minutes latter they rolled it in tested , replace switch, tested again. Had some free coffee and road away after signing warranty repair slip. Not the first time an oil pressure switch failed.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:01 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain

"I didn't lose oil while Riding It started when I arrived at my dealership"

Well it doesn't sound like you have to worry about any engine damage then. Just go out, load up the miles and enjoy your bike.

Last edited by Steve N,; 03-11-2019 at 07:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PBONO16 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 651 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve N,
My oil pressure switch started acting up last season... now and again, but not always. It would come on while riding and other times after starting the engine. Each time, the light went out after shutting down and re-starting the engine (re-booting). When I spoke with my dealer at the end of the season, I told them that they probably wouldn't be able to replicate the problem as it was only intermittent. They just took my word for it and replaced the switch on warranty. I haven't been able to ride it since as winter hit by the time they brought the bike back.

From what I've read, there have been a number of oil pressure switches fail, but I've never heard of one 'working it's way out'. So how much oil did you lose through the leaking switch, or is this something you're still waiting to find out?
This happened to me on a restart. Once. Hasn't happened again. Will mention it to dealer next visit.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,778 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Mine did twice randomly in the first 6 months I had her, would do it when restarting after a short shut down. Kill it and restart the bike no issues, had it checked they said it had the codes showing it happened but couldn't duplicate the issue and didn't have a switch in stock. Been almost 2 years and haven't an issue since. Weird.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tarheel Leo
This happened to me on a restart. Once. Hasn't happened again. Will mention it to dealer next visit.
Mine did it only once (while I was riding), but quite some time later on it it did it a further 3 or 4 times sporadically (start up or while riding). Although I have ESP, I wanted it taken care of before my Manufacturer's warranty ran out. Some dealers don't do anything unless they can replicate the problem, but my guys were good and just took my word for it. Good luck with yours.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Mine did twice randomly in the first 6 months I had her, would do it when restarting after a short shut down. Kill it and restart the bike no issues, had it checked they said it had the codes showing it happened but couldn't duplicate the issue and didn't have a switch in stock. Been almost 2 years and haven't an issue since. Weird.
That is weird... I guess bikes must have brain farts occasionally too. But 2 years w/o a further issue is good.

Last edited by Steve N,; 03-11-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 AM
PBONO16
5th Gear
Default Oil Loss from Pressure switch

Waiting to get it out of the Shop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Milwalkee 8 Pressure Switch