Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high flow exhaust vs street cannons

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 PM
QAfred
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Torque is what you want- what you feel, add the smart tune pro to that and you're going to feel a little more in your seat, besides heat.

But, if you really want to save money buy slip ons only, with virtually no improvement for your money.

The pdf - dyno spec sheets are all out there to look at what you get with each of the upgrades, it's not a secret what benefit you get with each modification.

All engines will be slightly different but not by much
IF installed and tuned correctly.

The following users liked this post:
DC2009EGUC (03-12-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 PM
QAfred
Advanced

Originally Posted by cmashark
Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t consider $2150 for 1 hp and 7 tq. That’s the cost of an aftermarket stage 1&2. Wish they would’ve posted the graphs to see the entire run.
Search "Harley stage upgrades pdf"
I just posted it on another post but logged off PC and hate using the phone to look it up again...you'll find it.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:09 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by QAfred
Search "Harley stage upgrades pdf"
I just posted it on another post but logged off PC and hate using the phone to look it up again...you'll find it.
With my comment on them showing the entire run, I’m not interested in HD’s catalog charts. I wanted to see the actual back to back dyno runs from mjwebb’s link.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

You can install any Harley part and / or perform any and all maintenance and still be in warranty, just keep receipts. I installed the complete high flow exhaust system, intake and tuned it with pro street tuner in one day. I am really happy with the system. It not only gets the catalytic converters out of the Headers and into the slip ons where they belong, but also provides up to 10% HP increase across the entire range and sounds great!. The high flow headers also have a bung hole that will accept the Smart tune pro wideband O2 sensors so if you are considering that auto tuner it will save big bucks on boring out and welding bung holes on the stock headers.
It really is the best system regardless of what stage you end up with, but it does cost 2K for the system. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJw7hdEFing
Do you think the cost of that exhaust system was worth the 8HP HD claims you gain? And have you had your bike on the dyno before and after to verify any gains?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 AM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Do you think the cost of that exhaust system was worth the 8HP HD claims you gain? And have you had your bike on the dyno before and after to verify any gains?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is it worth the extra 1k(1500 high flow exhaust , 500 slip on) to get minimal gains. Yes I know the cats are moved back reducing rider heat, but again are the numbers worth the money? The extra 1k is not an issue but is it is wasted money it is an issue. what i'd lie to see are dynes numbers before and after the install.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:25 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

after spending waaaaaay too much money on performance upgrades over many years and many bikes I'm satisfied with a simple inexpensive DIY solution

edit: but really OP my recommendations would be since you have 60 days
break it in, then run it the way you like to and see what you think
add Stage 1 if you want run it some more and see what you think, has to be done anyway for further upgrades
add Stage 2 if you want, or 3, 4 whatever
nothing to lose by doing it incrementally and may save you $$$$

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-10-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
after spending waaaaaay too much money on performance upgrades over many years and many bikes I'm satisfied with a simple inexpensive DIY solution

edit: but really OP my recommendations would be since you have 60 days
break it in, then run it the way you like to and see what you think
add Stage 1 if you want run it some more and see what you think, has to be done anyway for further upgrades
add Stage 2 if you want, or 3, 4 whatever
nothing to lose by doing it incrementally and may save you $$$$

Stage 1 is as far as I'll go. My 2016 with Vance and Hines stage 1 is enough for me. Any more would certainly lead to tickets

Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by wizardfitznq
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is it worth the extra 1k(1500 high flow exhaust , 500 slip on) to get minimal gains. Yes I know the cats are moved back reducing rider heat, but again are the numbers worth the money? The extra 1k is not an issue but is it is wasted money it is an issue. what i'd lie to see are dynes numbers before and after the install.
Street Cannons for around $365 shipped for chrome and around $415 for black. They also sell the muffler clamps for about $6 a piece.

Chrome
https://shop.newcastlehd.com/part/64900552a

Black
https://shop.newcastlehd.com/part/64900553a

Muffler clamps part numbers 65900012 and 65900015.

I just don’t understand the “rider heat” complaint with where the cat is located on the new bikes. I’ve ridden in some oppressive heat and humidity down in Miami traffic during the summer, and never once thought “damn that cat is hot” or “I wish the cat was further back”. Seems like a non-issue to me. And I’ve never had a passenger complain either.

Last edited by SWThomas; 03-10-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Cornel
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You can install any Harley part and / or perform any and all maintenance and still be in warranty, just keep receipts. I installed the complete high flow exhaust system, intake and tuned it with pro street tuner in one day. I am really happy with the system. It not only gets the catalytic converters out of the Headers and into the slip ons where they belong, but also provides up to 10% HP increase across the entire range and sounds great!. The high flow headers also have a bung hole that will accept the Smart tune pro wideband O2 sensors so if you are considering that auto tuner it will save big bucks on boring out and welding bung holes on the stock headers.
It really is the best system regardless of what stage you end up with, but it does cost 2K for the system. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJw7hdEFing
This is the exact route I went with. Very happy with the results.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 PM
QAfred
Advanced

[QUOTE=SWThomas;18094426]Do you think the cost of that exhaust system was worth the 8HP HD claims you gain? And have you had your bike on the dyno before and after to verify any gains?[/
QUOTE]

It was worth it but I don't have financial issues to be concerned about.
I want my bike to ride the best it can as I don't buy a new Harley every 2 years so if I mod something I look for the system that I think provides the most performance.
The crossover design is where you get a lot of the improvement in any performance exhaust system.... while one jug is puking out its exhaust it is also sucking out the exhaust from the other jug.

You get virtually no improved outflow with slip ons only so my thoughts were, why install slip ons and high intake air filter system only? because if it you cannot get the air out, the high flow can't suck it in. So, IMO, slip-ons, high flow intake, and pro street tuner alone (or a dyno) was wasted $$$$ (have you asked anyone for dyno numbers on the system your considering?)
Maybe MJW can get you that since he is a big fan of slip-ons only. Might have just as well stayed stock IMHO!

Also, as I stated above, the headers have the bung hole that will accept the wide band O2 sensors as I also installed the Smart Tune Pro. There is no need for me to spend money on a before and after dyno when I am riding hooked up to a tuner that controls performance at every twist of the throttle.

Its not the peak numbers anyway that counts, it is the space under the curve that really counts! I can hear it and feel it, I don't need to see it on paper for bragging rights on Harley forums.
Also, being a 40 year veteran in the Aerospace Industry I've learned to listen to engineering and not technicians who think they know how to do it better, cheaper, quicker.

Quick Reply: high flow exhaust vs street cannons