Sponsored by:

high flow exhaust vs street cannons

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:54 PM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Default high flow exhaust vs street cannons

Trading a 16 Limited for a 19 limited in july. My question is, is there a noticeable bump in torque/horsepower between the high flow exhaust with the street cannons vs just the slips on street cannons. I'll also be adding a high flow air cleaner and tuner. Is it with the extra 1K?

Old 03-09-2019, 01:08 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by wizardfitznq
Trading a 16 Limited for a 19 limited in july. My question is, is there a noticeable bump in torque/horsepower between the high flow exhaust with the street cannons vs just the slips on street cannons. I'll also be adding a high flow air cleaner and tuner. Is it with the extra 1K?
I considered this, but decided no, not worth it for a simple Stage 1..I had mine dyno tuned with SEPST which cost about 1/3 of the Hi Flow Exhaust exhaust upgrade and got good results...there are some here that have done what you're considering and are happy with the results, even going the extra mile getting the SE ATM with WB 02s which the Hi Flo exhaust is tapped for...but then you're talking around $2000 spent on just an EPA compliant Stage 1, which obviously the biggest benefit is maintaining your warranty. and if you do want to go that route be sure to do it within 60 gays of purchase. Another better option in my mind would be do the SE Stage II Torque cam instead. And if the warranty doesn't matter there's a ton of knowledgeable folks with experience with the aftermarket performance upgrades on this board that can steer you correctly in that direction. Congrats and good luck!

Old 03-09-2019, 01:20 PM
edmroadglide
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

i would do the torque cam and SC with tuner and filter bigger bang for your buck, word is the OEM headers are not horrible considering what you want to do and the benefit of the high flows would be mute against the cam.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:30 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

I agree, the stock header isn’t bad. It’s just very warm. That’s the main reason I opted to remove it. At full operating temp, I measured it at 465 degrees. But hey, that’s how they work.

Last edited by cmashark; 03-09-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Can’t spell today
Old 03-09-2019, 02:45 PM
HogEye68
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If I had it to do all over, I would have gone big on cubic inches within my 1st 60 on my 2018..... Hindsight is 20/20

Old 03-09-2019, 06:03 PM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I considered this, but decided no, not worth it for a simple Stage 1..I had mine dyno tuned with SEPST which cost about 1/3 of the Hi Flow Exhaust exhaust upgrade and got good results...there are some here that have done what you're considering and are happy with the results, even going the extra mile getting the SE ATM with WB 02s which the Hi Flo exhaust is tapped for...but then you're talking around $2000 spent on just an EPA compliant Stage 1, which obviously the biggest benefit is maintaining your warranty. and if you do want to go that route be sure to do it within 60 gays of purchase. Another better option in my mind would be do the SE Stage II Torque cam instead. And if the warranty doesn't matter there's a ton of knowledgeable folks with experience with the aftermarket performance upgrades on this board that can steer you correctly in that direction. Congrats and good luck!
OK will definitely be going within 60 days. Question does the dealer have to instal the parts or can I install (slip on, air cleaner) and have the dealer instal tuner and dyne it?

Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wizardfitznq
OK will definitely be going within 60 days. Question does the dealer have to instal the parts or can I install (slip on, air cleaner) and have the dealer instal tuner and dyne it?
that's a good question..I installed my AF and mufflers but it was after 60 days...ask the service or finance guy at dealership as they are the most knowledgeable about warranty stuff I suspect, maybe check your Owners Manual...but honestly if you're buying a new bike just tell them you want the Stage 1 installed as part of the deal, and even try having them throw in a 1K service..bet they agree as service/labor costs are one of the easiest things to finagle

Old 03-09-2019, 09:12 PM
QAfred
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You can install any Harley part and / or perform any and all maintenance and still be in warranty, just keep receipts. I installed the complete high flow exhaust system, intake and tuned it with pro street tuner in one day. I am really happy with the system. It not only gets the catalytic converters out of the Headers and into the slip ons where they belong, but also provides up to 10% HP increase across the entire range and sounds great!. The high flow headers also have a bung hole that will accept the Smart tune pro wideband O2 sensors so if you are considering that auto tuner it will save big bucks on boring out and welding bung holes on the stock headers.
It really is the best system regardless of what stage you end up with, but it does cost 2K for the system. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:32 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 03-09-2019, 10:49 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t consider $2150 for 1 hp and 7 tq. That’s the cost of an aftermarket stage 1&2. Wish they would’ve posted the graphs to see the entire run.

Quick Reply: high flow exhaust vs street cannons