Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   M8 Idle Issue Solved (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1275052-m8-idle-issue-solved.html)

BigDipper15 03-15-2019 09:33 AM

M8 Idle Issue Solved

So I've been having a bunch of high idle issues with my 18 SG. When rolling to a stop in neutral or with the clutch pulled in it was going from anywhere from 1500-2200 RPM's and then the second the wheels stopped moving it would go back to 950-1000 as it should. Was making me crazy. Thought it was tune related so had been messing around with the tune trying to fix to no avail. Was on the phone way too much with Dynojet trying to get a map that fixed it. Long story short, I brought it in to Harley and I had a bad twist grip sensor and a warped intake manifold. I upgraded to the SE aluminum manifold and only had to pay the price difference between the 2 manifolds and no labor as all the work was covered under warranty. Speaking with the service writer, they have seen the manifold issue on about 20+ M8 bikes so far. Super glad it's solved. Just spreading the good word around if anyone else experiences this. Picked her up last night and took a spin down to the beach. Riding better than ever.

https://i.imgur.com/M1nzLGe.jpg

stixvrad 03-15-2019 10:14 AM

Ahhhh, the beach... Cant wait for THAT season.

BigDipper15 03-15-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by stixvrad (Post 18106877)
Ahhhh, the beach... Cant wait for THAT season.

It was a little chilly but couldn't resist. About 50 on long Island last night at about 530.

johne300m 03-15-2019 02:31 PM

glad you got it figured out,.what beach were you at ? i'm from long island also...out east

BigDipper15 03-15-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by johne300m (Post 18107557)
glad you got it figured out,.what beach were you at ? i'm from long island also...out east

that was jones beach

Gary1 03-15-2019 03:51 PM

So you had a tuner on it and you were able to get warranty work? If so I would post your story where ever you read those post by folks that say tuners void warranty.

2018 lowrider M8 03-15-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gary1 (Post 18107742)
So you had a tuner on it and you were able to get warranty work? If so I would post your story where ever you read those post by folks that say tuners void warranty.

So Thats what was going through my head, all the Noobs saying the same thing this just clarifies it then Tuners dont void warranty

BigDipper15 03-15-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gary1 (Post 18107742)

i mean im not an idiot. I put the harley MAP back on and physically took the tuner off the bike before bringing in. I do have a good relationship with the service guys. Just be smart about it.

Gary1 03-15-2019 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigDipper15 (Post 18108063)
i mean im not an idiot. I put the harley MAP back on and physically took the tuner off the bike before bringing in. I do have a good relationship with the service guys. Just be smart about it.

Having a good relationship goes a long way in the service department. I bet they could of detected a tuner had been on the bike if they really wanted too.

Mchad 03-15-2019 06:43 PM

This is interesting. I was told that the idle increase was by design. Two 2019 Softails and one touring have done it to me. Maybe not as high rpm as you were experiencing, but they all definitely slightly increased RPM when approaching a stop and dropped back to normal when stopped.

Jamie from FuelMoto said it had something to do with something I can’t remember right now (sorry) but again, deliberate. I noticed it immediately on the bikes.

So yours has definitely stopped doing it completely as a result of the service?