Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventative fix for sumping

Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Hey guys - I bought a 2018 RGS back in Sept. 2017. I've been monitoring the sumping issue as best I can, and I havent noticed any signs of it yet.

Looking at the stone cold fix, the S&S Cam plate and fuel pump,or that new part from HD that seems to be doing an okay job from the few threads I read about it. I forget if that was the plate or pump. I got the recall notice for the clutch but I have been putting that off because I wanted to decide what to do about the sumping issue. So I'm getting ready to get that recall done, and I was thinking I would have them throw the new HD part in there while they have it. I figured I could run it by you guys to get your thoughts... Also, I know I've seen the part number for that floating around the forums but I cant seem to find it. So if anybody does have it handy I would appreciate it if you could share it with me. Thanks!
Here are my thoughts.... If you're looking for peace of mind, I would go ahead and have them install the latest oil pump, cover and plate (and don't read any more sumping threads). It's my understanding that the latest cover and plate have had good results. l Although my bike has never sumped, I had the my dealer change out all three parts (before warranty expired) just for my peace of mind. Just to be clear,,, in view of your research information overload, $tonecold has successfully solved the transmission oil transfer issue. With all his work on that, cam performance and other stuff, he hasn't had a chance to solve the sumping issue yet.

From as previous thread:
Oil cooled engines:
Oil pump: 62400178
Oil cover plate: 62400206

Twin cooled engines:
Oil pump: 62400182
Oil cover plate: 62400206

Last edited by Steve N,; 03-21-2019 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BTLorys (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:49 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
As a preventive measure against sumping you basicaly have 2 choices... Harley's cover plate or an aftermarket pump and cam plate from fueling or S&S. I'm going with the S&S setup when I do my cam instal, which I'm hoping to start this weekend.
I think you may have been misinformed. We've had at least one report of someone with the S&S pump who sumped, and when they asked S&S about it, S&S is reported to have said "we never said it would fix sumping."

Note, I'm not saying it's a bad product. I'm just saying that not even the manufacturer themselves claim that it's a sumping fix, so if you're putting it in to prevent sumping, you probably should rethink that.

lp (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I think you may have been misinformed. We've had at least one report of someone with the S&S pump who sumped, and when they asked S&S about it, S&S is reported to have said "we never said it would fix sumping."

Note, I'm not saying it's a bad product. I'm just saying that not even the manufacturer themselves claim that it's a sumping fix, so if you're putting it in to prevent sumping, you probably should rethink that.
Thanks, but not misinformed at all; I'm aware of the reported issue from bigt12.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Roger that. As long as you're aware, it's all good, I just didn't want to see you spending like $800 on parts for a "fix" when it may not guarantee a fix, is all.

MTBIG G (03-21-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Keep your $800 in your pocket.Its just like when your mom switched the lights off and the Boogie Man peeped at you from the cupboard. It's all in your HEAD! So you're better off spending $400 to see a shrink!

mazz (04-03-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 04:40 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
Keep your $800 in your pocket.Its just like when your mom switched the lights off and the Boogie Man peeped at you from the cupboard. It's all in your HEAD! So you're better off spending $400 to see a shrink!

Seriously? So it was all in my head when my 17 ate itself with a simple SE stage 2?!!

There is no single silver bullet against this issue; we all know that. We also know most M8s will never have a problem, but if I want a little added assurance in preperation for a bigger build by installing a better pump/cam plate or the new HD back plate or whatever, that's my choice. Pretty sure I've earned the right to spend my money and time the way I decide. Besides, it's too late. The S&S pump/plate was purchased months ago and the install will be finished tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:52 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G

Seriously? So it was all in my head when my 17 ate itself with a simple SE stage 2?!!

There is no single silver bullet against this issue; we all know that. We also know most M8s will never have a problem, but if I want a little added assurance in preperation for a bigger build by installing a better pump/cam plate or the new HD back plate or whatever, that's my choice. Pretty sure I've earned the right to spend my money and time the way I decide. Besides, it's too late. The S&S pump/plate was purchased months ago and the install will be finished tomorrow.
Please point out the parts of his post where he was not just giving you his opinion. I’m trying to find the part where he said you’re not allowed to spend your money how you want.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:53 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Entertaining. After 3 years, the "game" of musical chairs of M8 sumping continues. Who's going to be next to be left out without a ride when the music stops?

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-23-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:46 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Please point out the parts of his post where he was not just giving you his opinion. I’m trying to find the part where he said you’re not allowed to spend your money how you want.
What do you think "Keep your $800 in your pocket" means?

The following 2 users liked this post by sixguns:
BTLorys (03-25-2019), MTBIG G (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
What do you think "Keep your $800 in your pocket" means?
Sounds like advice to me. He’s not his daddy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Preventative fix for sumping