Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Preventative fix for sumping (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1275662-preventative-fix-for-sumping.html)

BTLorys 03-19-2019 02:05 PM

Preventative fix for sumping

Hey guys - I bought a 2018 RGS back in Sept. 2017. I've been monitoring the sumping issue as best I can, and I havent noticed any signs of it yet. I've been trying to keep up with the forums to figure out the best fix (if it should happen), but I get a little lost on some of the threads.

All I've done to it is Fuel Moto A/C, header, and slip ons, tuned with a PV from Fuel Moto as well. I'm considering a cam upgrade at some point in the future but that wouldnt be this season. So for the purpose of this discussion, I have no warranty. I've been thinking about trying to get a preventative measure in there because the possibility of sumping does sit in the back of my head and I'd like to do what I can to prevent it so I can relax a little bit more on longer trips. Just a form of insurance against possible sumping in the future.

As I said, I've been trying to keep up with the various sumping threads, fix threads, etc. but I get a little lost because it seems like most of the threads go a little off the rails at some point and the important info im looking for tends to get lost. So my apologies for posting another sumping thread but this is basically where I'm at -

Looking at the stone cold fix, the S&S Cam plate and fuel pump,or that new part from HD that seems to be doing an okay job from the few threads I read about it. I forget if that was the plate or pump. I got the recall notice for the clutch but I have been putting that off because I wanted to decide what to do about the sumping issue (again, which has been non existent so far). So I'm getting ready to get that recall done, and I was thinking I would have them throw the new HD part in there while they have it. I figured I could run it by you guys to get your thoughts and see if theres a better option that I've missed. Also, I know I've seen the part number for that floating around the forums but I cant seem to find it. So if anybody does have it handy I would appreciate it if you could share it with me.

Thanks!

SWThomas 03-19-2019 02:24 PM

So you haven’t had an issue in how many miles? And you want to fix something that isn’t broken?

mjwebb 03-19-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BTLorys (Post 18117269)
Hey guys - I bought a 2018 RGS back in Sept. 2017. I've been monitoring the sumping issue as best I can, and I havent noticed any signs of it yet. I've been trying to keep up with the forums to figure out the best fix (if it should happen), but I get a little lost on some of the threads.

All I've done to it is Fuel Moto A/C, header, and slip ons, tuned with a PV from Fuel Moto as well. I'm considering a cam upgrade at some point in the future but that wouldnt be this season. So for the purpose of this discussion, I have no warranty. I've been thinking about trying to get a preventative measure in there because the possibility of sumping does sit in the back of my head and I'd like to do what I can to prevent it so I can relax a little bit more on longer trips. Just a form of insurance against possible sumping in the future.

As I said, I've been trying to keep up with the various sumping threads, fix threads, etc. but I get a little lost because it seems like most of the threads go a little off the rails at some point and the important info im looking for tends to get lost. So my apologies for posting another sumping thread but this is basically where I'm at -

Looking at the stone cold fix, the S&S Cam plate and fuel pump,or that new part from HD that seems to be doing an okay job from the few threads I read about it. I forget if that was the plate or pump. I got the recall notice for the clutch but I have been putting that off because I wanted to decide what to do about the sumping issue (again, which has been non existent so far). So I'm getting ready to get that recall done, and I was thinking I would have them throw the new HD part in there while they have it. I figured I could run it by you guys to get your thoughts and see if theres a better option that I've missed. Also, I know I've seen the part number for that floating around the forums but I cant seem to find it. So if anybody does have it handy I would appreciate it if you could share it with me.

Thanks!

best advice, spend the time you've been reading about sumping riding instead

carpetride 03-19-2019 02:32 PM

I was going to install that new part (oil pump cover) from Harley until they told me how much the labor was going to be. Something like 9 hours( seven with adjustable rods) if I remember correct. I haven't had an issue so I won't worry about something that may never happen.

sailmotion 03-19-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SWThomas (Post 18117316)
So you haven’t had an issue in how many miles? And you want to fix something that isn’t broken?

Because there may be a latent defect that has not yet manifested itself, that's a reason to ignore it? Do you carry a spare tire in your auto? How about a fire extinguisher in your home? When and if you find yourself stranded on the side of the road because of any ignored issues, think back on this thread.

mjwebb 03-19-2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sailmotion (Post 18117370)
Because there may be a latent defect that has not yet manifested itself, that's a reason to ignore it? Do you carry a spare tire in your auto? How about a fire extinguisher in your home? When and if you find yourself stranded on the side of the road because of any ignored issues, think back on this thread.

the overwhelming majority of a few hundred thousand M8's haven't been afflicted by this so no reason to be paranoid...the vast majority of owners aren't forum members and never heard of sumping but just keep riding, enjoying worry free...but hey, some are worry warts and will throw money at something that isn't an issue for them so that's cool if they want to

"because the possibility of sumping does sit in the back of my head and I'd like to do what I can to prevent it so I can relax a little bit more on longer trips"

we have seen this type of sentiment here so many times....just saying it's a choice and I choose to not worry and just ride and enjoy my time on my bike on trips and with friends to its fullest..if/when chit happens I deal with it

$tonecold 03-19-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by carpetride (Post 18117338)
I was going to install that new part (oil pump cover) from Harley until they told me how much the labor was going to be. Something like 9 hours( seven with adjustable rods) if I remember correct. I haven't had an issue so I won't worry about something that may never happen.

Really? Nine hours! Man they are raping you on that one. I could do it in two hours, three at the most. Even with solid pushrods. No need to pull the cam if you know what you're doing.

sailmotion 03-19-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mjwebb (Post 18117389)
the overwhelming majority of a few hundred thousand M8's haven't been afflicted by this so no reason to be paranoid...the vast majority of owners aren't forum members and never heard of sumping but just keep riding, enjoying worry free...but hey, some are worry warts and will throw money at something that isn't an issue for them so that's cool if they want to

Right, but if you're the unfortunate soul who finds him/herself in the overwhelming minority, it sucks for you. I suggest just asking the MOCO if there is indeed a problem - they'll give you an honest answer, right? Hell, it appears that there was an overwhelming majority of Porsche owners who enjoyed worry free motoring, with a mere 8% of owners who got bit in the ass. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsch..._Bearing_issue I suppose some call it "paranoia" while others call it "being prepared".

mjwebb 03-19-2019 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by sailmotion (Post 18117441)
Right, but if you're the unfortunate soul who finds him/herself in the overwhelming minority, it sucks for you. I suggest just asking the MOCO if there is indeed a problem - they'll give you an honest answer, right? Hell, it appears that there was an overwhelming majority of Porsche owners who enjoyed worry free motoring, with a mere 8% of owners who got bit in the ass. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsch..._Bearing_issue I suppose some call it "paranoia" while others call it "being prepared".

guess i've always subscribed to if it ain't broke don't fix it, and cross that bridge if/when I get to it..not a fan of if it ain't broke, work on it until it is logic either.. by risking introducing unnecessary changes with undesirable results as well..oh well, to each his own as always I guess

carpetride 03-19-2019 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by $tonecold (Post 18117399)
Really? Nine hours! Man they are raping you on that one. I could do it in two hours, three at the most. Even with solid pushrods. No need to pull the cam if you know what you're doing.

Yeah, I was kinda shocked. Had the part bought and was going to put it in during the recall and that's what they claimed. Book time maybe? Said it wouldn't really do any good anyway on a stock 107. :icon_shrug: