Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H fuelpak3

Old 03-24-2019, 01:37 PM
carr612
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default V&H fuelpak3 vs FM power vision

Bought a new set of pipes so had to buy an intake also now looking for a tuner been looking at the fp3 for my ‘17 streetglide 107 anyone have any opinions on it or suggestions for another tuner, pros cons vs fuelmoto power vision?

Last edited by carr612; 03-24-2019 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (04-11-2020)

Top Answer

03-29-2019, 12:57 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey Everyone!

Thought I would pop into the discussion and talk a bit about the FP3, Fuelpak Pro, and current/future developments to try and clear up a few things.

Steve Cole is absolutely right that the FP3 is a phone/tablet based product that was originally shipped as an end-user type product, and has been for the past 5 years since launch. Coming from a Service Technician and Service Management background at the dealer level, I will totally admit that the FP3 narrow band AutoTune is limited in its functionality based on the readable range of those sensors, and to complete a full cell table takes me over an hour in the dyno...which is far too long. Shops operate to be as efficient as possible in order to make money and flat rate technicians also have the same ideology, as completing a 5 hour job in 2 hours banks me an additional 3 hours pay so I can move onto the next job and make more income...throughput is important.

I've spent a few years in the dyno primarily working on the development of the Fuelpak Pro, and it's opened up the FP3 to being a lot more capable, as well as shop/dyno friendly. What used to take me 1-1.5 hours utilizing the narrow bands in the dyno, now takes me an average of 15-20 minutes with the Fuelpak Pro. While we do not have full data logging quite yet, we have added VE Delta tables through a Preview button in the AutoTune's UI, which allows you to see the degrees of changes made to the tables, so you have a better feel of knowing what you're changing rather than blindly flashing unknown values. For monitoring cam timing we do offer a manual option for the IVO/IVC and Charge Dilution Effect tables, and kPa can be monitored live by looking at the Live Data screen...I'm also planning on adding that info to the wideband AutoTune UI like I added the ET and wideband diagnostic functions.

No we do not have hookups to the pc direct through a cable for pc software, but the Fuelpak Pro utilizes a cloud based server that can be accessed by any browser (dyno computer, laptop, phone, tablet, pc, mac...whatever) and has the ability to manually edit values through the interface, configure completed maps to be accessible by your personal login through the FP3 app, and has the ability to lockout customers from viewing or editing the map if you choose. This means that when I build a motor, tune it, and send it out the door, I know that the end user can't go into my map and make changes to the bike as ultimately I'm responsible for the motor/tune after it's left my shop.

As the Fuelpak Pro and FP3 allow for OTA firmware updates, we are constantly polishing and making changes to the hardware and to the FP3 App. Other manufacturers' exhausts are now present within the app, camshafts are all listed within the View/Edit and new Map Optimization menu, and I have a full list of Stage Kits on the server that can be accessed by reaching out to our CSR department, and sent to your bike remotely anywhere on the planet. Pair all of this together and the little FP3 from 5 years ago is now fully capable of quick and precise dyno tuning utilizing wide band sensors, has pc editing capabilities, and I've personally mapped a few 120R's, 124" M8, Tire Shredder kits, Hooligan XG750A's (Noise Cycles, Suicide Machine Co, Speed Merchant), and most of The Rusty Butcher's bikes.

Hopefully this helps some people out, clears up some misconceptions to the current state of the FP3/FP Pro, and lets everyone know I'm continually pushing for more updates, working on development, and making this a more dyno tuner/dealer friendly tool, while not losing sight of the end user experience.

Bryan
Brand Manager, Electronics

Old 03-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by carr612

Bought a new set of pipes so had to buy an intake also now looking for a tuner been looking at the fp3 for my ‘17 streetglide 107 anyone have any opinions on it or suggestions for another tuner?
Ran it on my 17 SGS, probably the easiest most user friendly tuner out there. I did talk to several guys who do a lot of tuning, they said it is a good stage 1 tuner but after that not so much. With that being said, going forward I would probably use the power vision tuner from fuel moto, not much more money and they provide dyno quality maps for free, its still easy to use with the included display (no laptop needed) and it seems to be one of the favorites for guys who do a lot of tuning. TTS would be another option and from what I hear is even more capable if you need really advanced tuning. I'm certainly no expert so this is just my opinion.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:09 PM
carr612
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Ran it on my 17 SGS, probably the easiest most user friendly tuner out there. I did talk to several guys who do a lot of tuning, they said it is a good stage 1 tuner but after that not so much. With that being said, going forward I would probably use the power vision tuner from fuel moto, not much more money and they provide dyno quality maps for free, its still easy to use with the included display (no laptop needed) and it seems to be one of the favorites for guys who do a lot of tuning. TTS would be another option and from what I hear is even more capable if you need really advanced tuning. I'm certainly no expert so this is just my opinion.
i have heard of the fuelmoto tuner but havnt really been able to find any comparisons by anyone between one or the other but i just checked them out an it seems like
ot might be a good deal or the way to go thanks for the info

Old 03-24-2019, 03:48 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

I have and would recommend the FP3. It’s loaded with features and a capable tuner would be able to make just about any adjustment you would need.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
Ernie DeBord (03-30-2019), Old Iron Man (05-07-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:50 PM
Livewire77
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with power vision. It is better long term. More tuners use that. Fuel Moto has a great price and support. I had a fp3 and going stage 2 it did work. But the power vision produced more power. The fp3 might have been able to but I would have had to run an auto tune. Plus if you have a power vision you can always add another license and expand it. Fp3 is married to that Vin and cannot be transferred to a different bike have to buy a new fp3 tuner again. Power vision would charge for another license for $199.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

Get the Power Vision would be my recommendation , getting rid of my FP3 and getting a PV , wished I would have in the 1st place now. Theirs not a reputable dyno tuner out there that uses or recommends using the FP3 , just sayin.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Route66
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I love my FP3. Installed a Stage 1 kit last season and my bike just came to life with it. I do recommend using the autotune feature.

The following 2 users liked this post by Route66:
Ernie DeBord (03-30-2019), Oil, Gas & Leather (04-11-2020)
Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Wvroadglide
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have anything to compare to, but just did my exhaust and tuned with FP3. Really runs good and super easy to use.

The following users liked this post:
Ernie DeBord (03-30-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Have to recommend the Powervision for anything, including and beyond a simple stage 1.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

The FP3 is a pretty decent DIY tuner for Stg 1, beyond that it is very limited, the PV is well worth it for less $100 more, Fuel Moto is very good to deal with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V&H fuelpak3