Sponsored by:

M8 Breather Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:43 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts
Default M8 Breather Bypass

What are you guys doing for breather bypasses on your M8's? Just looking for different ideas before I do mine. I was just going to add a piece of hose off of the tee in the center and run it down to a hole I will drill in the bottom of the stock air filter housing and attach it to a can or a breather. Seems simple enough.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

That's basically what I did and it keeps that oil/condensate out of the air filter and engine.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Spanish Cobra
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Spanish Cobra
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what I did. Clean it out every 1000 miles.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:40 PM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
What are you guys doing for breather bypasses on your M8's? Just looking for different ideas before I do mine. I was just going to add a piece of hose off of the tee in the center and run it down to a hole I will drill in the bottom of the stock air filter housing and attach it to a can or a breather. Seems simple enough.

I did this but I ran the hose from the back plate out the bottom of the frame with no catch can. I've never seen an oil spot on the garage floor. I used a PTC bulk head connection on my air cleaner backplate.

Last edited by Hairy Larry; 04-01-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy Larry
I did this but I ran the hose from the back plate out the bottom of the frame with no catch can. I've never seen an oil spot on the garage floor. I used a PTC bulk head connection on my air cleaner backplate.
any discharge/residue mess on the bike, or does it just evaporate into the atmosphere, which is the best case scenario obviously and if not noticeable on the bike anywhere kind of indicates it's pretty minimal and largely an insignificant amount..I like your idea if that's the case cuz' I'd be too lazy to want to clean out a catch can, but wouldn't care for it getting on the bike, tires, brakes, etc.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
any discharge/residue mess on the bike, or does it just evaporate into the atmosphere, which is the best case scenario obviously and if not noticeable on the bike anywhere kind of indicates it's pretty minimal and largely an insignificant amount..I like your idea if that's the case cuz' I'd be too lazy to want to clean out a catch can, but wouldn't care for it getting on the bike, tires, brakes, etc.
I have the hose where it exits in front of the cam chest and below the frame. I have not looked under the bike recently but I don't think there is a mess. I keep my oil level a little below the full level to try to minimize the puking. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what it looks like.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
It looks like there was a little residue on the frame about an inch in length and on the end of the hose but it's clearly not enough to cause any concern for me. Like it stated before, I've never had any drops on the garage floor. I re-used the stock breather bolts instead of the ones that came with the Arlen Ness kit.

hose from breather bolts

Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

I did a bypass on my last bike and really didn’t see any benefit in doing so. Until someone can point to a rash of engine problems, or any other issues attributed to the stock breather system, I’m just gonna leave it the way it is. I run my oil at the midway point on the dipstick and don’t have any oil dripping.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
Godinaz (05-20-2019), Uncle G. (05-25-2019)

Quick Reply: M8 Breather Bypass