Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:04 AM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Helmet

In search of a light wright helmet. I have an Arai FF now but it feels like a 100 lbs on my head after 10 minutes of riding. Wore it on a long ride once, never again. Just looking for suggestions on light weight, fit, functionality (communications). Thanks.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:07 AM
Vonswanko
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Carbon Fiber Ghost Bandit

Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Stronger neck muscles. LOL Just kidding.

I wear a Shoei Neotec 2, which weighs in at 4 pounds. Yes it's heavy, but the aerodynamics make up for it quite a bit. I can wear it for all day touring rides and never get the feeling that it's too heavy.

What kind of symptoms were you experiencing that you attributed to the weight of the Arai helmet?

Old 04-08-2019, 11:54 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Perhaps you're getting quite a bit of wind buffeting? My old bike, my neck would be sore after about 30 min highway riding...but I didnt have a windshield at all then. I wore a novelty helmet too. so it wasn't the weight of the helmet that was doing it.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Shoei RF-1200 at 3.5lbs. It's just fine to wear all day but my recommendation would be to shop locally at a place that will let you test ride helmets. There is a shop here that will work to get you fit well and then let you take the helmet out on your bike and give it a go for a few minutes. Might help you decide what fits well and what has a good shape for your riding. A quick comparison between my helmet and carbon fiber only saved roughly .2lbs and costs $200-300 more.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

not an M8 topic but oh well....I have a Shoei GT Air, Bell Bullitt FF Carbon Fiber and an Arai Classic V 3/4 i rotate around for weather and distance variations...GT Air is the best overall up to low 80 degree temps..Bell is super light and comfortable but extremely noisy..Arai 3/4 for just around town..one thing to be mindful of, especially when buying online, is the born on date, which counts towards replacement interval guidelines..the 1st Shoei I looked at that was on sale was brand new in the box and 3 years old already..I found one under a year old I bought

Old 04-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

Expensive, and hard to get parts for in the US, but he Shark Race-R Pro is probably the best CF helmet on the market. I had the prior model, RSR2, and the Race-R Pro. Crashed in the Race-R at 70 on the track. Helmet was ruined, but I didn't have so much as a headache after a multi-impact tumble. But because of the availability issues for Shark in the US, I replaced it with a Shoei X14. Pretty impressive features. Fit is about the same. The only thing I miss from the Shark is the breath guard.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabchuck
Expensive, and hard to get parts for in the US, but he Shark Race-R Pro is probably the best CF helmet on the market. I had the prior model, RSR2, and the Race-R Pro. Crashed in the Race-R at 70 on the track. Helmet was ruined, but I didn't have so much as a headache after a multi-impact tumble. But because of the availability issues for Shark in the US, I replaced it with a Shoei X14. Pretty impressive features. Fit is about the same. The only thing I miss from the Shark is the breath guard.
I did the same thing only into a car. My head hit right above the windshield and put a 3 inch dent into the car. I had a shoei x-11. Saves my life. Stay conscience the whole time. Only had a concussion

Old 04-08-2019, 07:35 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 2,351 Posts

If your looking for a full face modular carbon fiber, look at the Sport Modular by AGV. Sportmodular This will be my next full face

Old 04-08-2019, 08:18 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
If your looking for a full face modular carbon fiber, look at the Sport Modular by AGV. Sportmodular This will be my next full face
That has awesome reviews and was on my shortlist, until it was on my head. If you have a fat neck it may be an issue. The chinstrap seems to be further back then most helmets and can cut into your neck. The helmet is lighter than almost every helmet on the market! It caused my brother to move to the Shoei Neotec 2 due to the chinstrap.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Helmet