Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with this high idle bullish*t?

Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
Are you saying that if the switch that's activated by the clutch lever isn't making, this causes the brief idle rise when stopping at stops???
Yup, the same as a failed clutch safety switch. This was put to test this by putting the bike in gear, holding the clutch lever in and trying to start the bike. It did not. The bike wasn't sensing that I had the lever pulled in. It seems the ECM bumps the idle under those conditions.

Last edited by modular; 04-20-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
My ‘17 RoadKing, did that...to a degree...after I did the HD Stage 1 download. Why I said “to a degree” it reved to about 1,400 RPMs, under those conditions. There were other threads on this. It seems the MoCo, made these modifications to prevent stalling.

so..I wonder if the 3rd party tuners start with an HD base map, that now has this characteristic?
Mine does that every now and then since the stage one download from the tuner. It's not very noticable. I just see the tach bounce around when i does it.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:12 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Is there a service bulletin on the manifold issues? My 114 heritage classic does the high idle from time to time.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 721 Likes on 443 Posts

My Bro has a 14 SuperGlide. He was complaining about it and asked if my new one did. Mine does sometimes. Seems like if I blip the throttle it helps "sometimes".
It IS a little annoying, but..... I just figured it's an efi thing

Old 04-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

My bike (2018) won't start in gear. That's prolly why the high idle crap. Kinda annoying. I got BladeLevers. Anything I can do short of putting my o.e.m. levers back on?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:24 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Jamie (FuelMoto) sent me a modified tune to see if that would rid the bike of the idle flare coming to a stop. It helped but it still was there enough for me to notice. As soon as I reinstalled the OE levers the problem 100% disappeared.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I just fixed mine. I tested by putting a temporary shim in it to make the switch. Started in gear, and high idle on test ride GONE. I just got done fastening a permanent discrete lil .015" aluminum shim on the lever "Tang".
Dab of black paint, good to go.

The following users liked this post:
woodreaux (05-27-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:16 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Twi$t
Just got my FXFBS tuned (TMan 124"...complete top end) with a PowerVision & Target Tune. Tuner is saying when coasting to stop, clutch pulled or in neutral, bike revs approx 2000 rpms (fluctuates between 2000, 1800, 1500, etc., sporadically). It will idle down once it comes to a complete stop. Bike is not throwing any codes. I've searched on here and this subject leads to either, wrapped, cracked, or leaking manifold, bad clutch switch, or a bad twist grip sensor.

My tuner contacted Dynojet and their response is they know about the issue but do not have a fix yet. WTF?! The rep said something about the adjustments for this is "somewhere in the background" of the tune and they "do not yet have access to". The rep further stated "when/if" they get access, "it will probably be changed in MOST" of the tunes they provide...as "MANY folks" have contacted them about this same issue.

I'm picking up the bike today. It is 3.5 hrs away. Once I get it home, I will check those things listed above. Not sure how to determine a bad twist grip sensor...any ideas?

Also, anyone else dealing with this? Just pisses me off...I got a sh*tload of money in this bike and because of my health I have to sell. This will make it difficult!!!!!
let me get this straight.... you have a **** load of motor work done on your bike... and now it runs like ****...... who exactly are you pissed at? if the canned tune you are trying doesnt wrk... why arnt you having a competent tuner tune it on the dyno?

Last edited by INJEKTER; 04-26-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
let me get this straight.... you have a **** load of motor work done on your bike... and now it runs like ****...... who exactly are you pissed at? if the canned tune you are trying doesnt wrk... why arnt you having a competent tuner tune it on the dyno?
Let me get this straight...you always respond to post in a condescending manner? GTFO

Old 04-26-2019, 02:57 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
My bike (2018) won't start in gear. That's prolly why the high idle crap. Kinda annoying. I got BladeLevers. Anything I can do short of putting my o.e.m. levers back on?
I have adjustable levers. I notice a slight idle raise when coming to a stop, clutch lever pulled in. Don't remember if the bike did this before the lever change since I have less than 500 miles on the bike.
BUT, I just went out to the garage and my bike won't start in gear where I have the clutch lever adjusted. I re adjusted to a further point with the lever and bike will start in gear. Next time I ride I'll set the lever to the further point to see if the raised isle goes away.
That idle raising up slightly does not annoy me to where I'd give up the adjustable levers because they have so many benefits and if I need to start in gear, it's just an easy turn of a dial to change the setting on the clutch lever.
PS: This is the third bike I've had these levers on but I always start the bike in neutral so maybe never noticed the inability before. The elevated idle didn't happen on my 2014 Street Glide or 2013 Vrod that I noticed.

Last edited by OldMike; 04-26-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's up with this high idle bullish*t?