Sponsored by:

S&S 465C cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR65
Just installed the 465 and S&S sidewinder (no cat) in a 18 streetglide. Bike has a s.e. heavy breather and a s.e. smart tuner, had V&H power duals. Have to say not impressed so far. Havent had a chance to put alot of miles on with the weather, to let the smart tune to readjust. I dont feel much of a diffrents in the seat of the pants, for the money invested. I know the tuner holds back a bit,but cant imagine that much. Im waiting till the wife and i get out, to do some roll ons. She is runnning the same as me, with a 2 into1 rinehartt and no cam. Ill see what that brings before i make my next move .
Man don't beat me up over this but, you'll never get it tuned correct without putting it on the dyno. A cam swap is a lot different than just swapping the AC out or just swapping exhaust. I know you can maybe get it close, maybe, but with the tuner you have just a close base map may be hard to adjust from.
Ask some of the experts like Steve Cole, he will explain it better than I could. Also you ask Jamie at Fuel Moto too.
I'm just trying to help so don't kill the the messenger.

Last edited by Tn.Heritage; 04-19-2019 at 07:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tn.Heritage:
Godinaz (05-09-2019), SMR65 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 AM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
The SEPST even with widebands/ "smart tune" is holding you back a ton. Had that tuner setup on my all SE stage II 17FLTRU. It's ok if your using all SE stuff, but won't adjust the map enough for you current setup. Too much to explain typing on a smart phone, but highly recommend using TTS Mastertune or a Powervision. Good luck.
Ok thanks for the info MTBIG G. I will ;ook into them. Ill be looking for a smart tune or one that comes with a map in it, for my set up. I am not fond of putting my bike on a dyno, been there done than. To me its hard on the bike. I know a dyno u get all of it out of your set up. i dont minded leaving a little on the table, but right now i believe ive left a lot. Thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
MTBIG G (04-19-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 AM
SMR65
Road Master

Just installed the 465 and S&S sidewinder (no cat) in a 18 streetglide. Bike has a s.e. heavy breather and a s.e. smart tuner, had V&H power duals. Have to say not impressed so far. Havent had a chance to put alot of miles on with the weather, to let the smart tune to readjust. I dont feel much of a diffrents in the seat of the pants, for the money invested. I know the tuner holds back a bit,but cant imagine that much. Im waiting till the wife and i get out, to do some roll ons. She is runnning the same as me, with a 2 into1 rinehartt and no cam. Ill see what that brings before i make my next move .
Time for the next move. The weather warmed up enough on the weekend for the wife to go out. So my seat dyno was proven. We did 5th gear roll ons, usually starting at 2,300 to 2,400 rpm and basically we were side by side, as we were last year, when i had a stage 1. I thought adding that cam should have given me a little more, to say the least. I will be looking into tuners.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:43 AM
Alexspain
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big bore 124 , S&S 465

Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 AM
jmd897
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Converting the dyno to US Imperial system based on the Dyno chart on the 2nd run = HP is 109 ft-lbs at 4.9 RPM and Torque is roughly 150 ft-lbs at 3.1 RPM for us Americans here on a 124ci M8 motor. Putting it mildy its all torque and no horsepower to carry. S&S 465 is not a good system when going to high compression and 124CI. I'm sorry but looking at this you must be pinging like crazy and killing your motor. Short intake duration and closing in a high compression engine is not good. Looking at this dyno I would be very scared of this motor over heating. the S&S 475 or the 550 are have way better numbers and better static compression than this. Alex please change this cam before your left on the side of the road with fried piston rings.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:39 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,657 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Bumping this slightly moldy thread to ask if you ever found a resolution to this disappointing performance?

I'll be using most of the same components as you did (465C cam, catless S&S Sidewinder, S&S lifters and Stealth air cleaner). I'll be getting a dyno tune using TTS though so hope mine does much better.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Bumping this slightly moldy thread to ask if you ever found a resolution to this disappointing performance?

I'll be using most of the same components as you did (465C cam, catless S&S Sidewinder, S&S lifters and Stealth air cleaner). I'll be getting a dyno tune using TTS though so hope mine does much better.
im guessing the SE tuner and not having a dyno tune are what was holding holding him back, I would expect the sidewinder and the 465 to make really good torque numbers

Old 03-06-2020, 04:59 AM
SMR65
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dynamick

Yes, came up with a resolution. I had the pro tuner and smart tuner taken off and had a PV put on and tuned. There was a very noticeable difference all around, on the way it ran.. The dealership did the tuning and im sure other tuners could tweek out a little more, but im very happy on the way it works. Its very responsive down low. I'd have to find the sheet, but it didnt get numbers like others have had on here, but seat of the pants very happy. We trade the wifes 18 street glide and now she is riding this one and i bought a 19 STGS. I put a PV in from the start and i have just put in a S&S 475, Havent had a chance to try it yet, but the weather is starting to come around.

The following 3 users liked this post by SMR65:
Dynamick (03-06-2020), Kyle Moore (03-06-2020), porkster (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:12 AM
S&S Cycle
Premium Sponsor
Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, came up with a resolution. I had the pro tuner and smart tuner taken off and had a PV put on and tuned. There was a very noticeable difference all around, on the way it ran.. The dealership did the tuning and im sure other tuners could tweek out a little more, but im very happy on the way it works. Its very responsive down low. I'd have to find the sheet, but it didnt get numbers like others have had on here, but seat of the pants very happy. We trade the wifes 18 street glide and now she is riding this one and i bought a 19 STGS. I put a PV in from the start and i have just put in a S&S 475, Havent had a chance to try it yet, but the weather is starting to come around.

www.sscycle.com
Proven Performance
Kyle Moore (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 03:24 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,657 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Thanks for your reply; as Kyle said above I figured it must be the limited adjustment capability of the SE tuner that was holding you back.

In the search for this thread I also came across a Facebook post from Fuel Moto where they got 100 hp/119 tq out of a 107 with 465 cam, 2:1:2 header and a PV tune. I'd be very happy with numbers like those.

(Oh and hi, S&S! Thanks for making such great products.)

Last edited by Dynamick; 03-06-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Kyle Moore (03-06-2020)

Quick Reply: S&S 465C cam questions