Sponsored by:

After market air filter woe

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 381 Likes on 232 Posts
Default After market air filter woe

Okay changed my stock 114 air filter out to a high flow one that claimed I can use my stock cover, well yes and no, the 114 air filter is really 4 pieces, the backing plate, the steel cover, the screen mesh in front and the bottom plastic piece that when combined with the 3 pieces becomes one minus the backing plate, okay, I changed it out, but you can only use the steel cover minus the screen mesh and bottom plastic piece as there is no way to hold the 3 together, thus looking at the side it's ok, but when looking at it from the front it looks like Bubba got in a bar room brawl and lost his front teeth, not looking so good. Anyone have a way to hold the front mesh back in place on the front? Thanks.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 PM
750rider
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Which air cleaner are you installing? There is a black bracket on the throttle body that most likely you need to remove. It has a wire zip tied to it you will need to take off. I just installed a Stage one air cleaner and i had to remove that bracket.

Last edited by 750rider; 04-23-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawg Runner
Okay changed my stock 114 air filter out to a high flow one that claimed I can use my stock cover, well yes and no, the 114 air filter is really 4 pieces, the backing plate, the steel cover, the screen mesh in front and the bottom plastic piece that when combined with the 3 pieces becomes one minus the backing plate, okay, I changed it out, but you can only use the steel cover minus the screen mesh and bottom plastic piece as there is no way to hold the 3 together, thus looking at the side it's ok, but when looking at it from the front it looks like Bubba got in a bar room brawl and lost his front teeth, not looking so good. Anyone have a way to hold the front mesh back in place on the front? Thanks.
If you installed an air cleaner that came with it own backing plate like the Arlen Ness Big Sucker or the Screamin' Eagle Wedge, then no you won't be able to run the anything but the stock metal cover. If you want it to look stock and want more flow then you need the K&N 1717 air filter element that only replaces the stock element without changing anything else. You could probably buy the same screen mesh at the hardware store and fabricate your own piece to fit.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master

Originally Posted by 750rider
Which air cleaner are you installing? There is a black bracket on the throttle body that most likely you need to remove. It has a wire zip tied to it you will need to take off. I just installed a Stage one air cleaner and i had to remove that bracket.
Yep did that, is not the problem.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:24 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master

Originally Posted by $tonecold
If you installed an air cleaner that came with it own backing plate like the Arlen Ness Big Sucker or the Screamin' Eagle Wedge, then no you won't be able to run the anything but the stock metal cover. If you want it to look stock and want more flow then you need the K&N 1717 air filter element that only replaces the stock element without changing anything else. You could probably buy the same screen mesh at the hardware store and fabricate your own piece to fit.
Yep, should of went with the K&N filter, would of been cheaper than the kit I got and maintain the look I want, when they said I could use the stock cover did not say how much of the stock cover and being both of us are not mind readers I now have what I have, like your idea of fab something up, was trying to figure a way to epoxy the screen in place.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 AM
Hawg Runner
Road Master

Woe Be Gone, took apart the rest of stock air filter where the screen is and pulled it out of it's plastic housing and epoxied it to the inside of the air filter cover, no more gaping hole it front and looks stock.