Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name that noise

Old 04-25-2019, 04:06 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Name that noise

2017 with 19K+ miles. No sumping, no transfer, really no issues until as of late. This noise started awhile back, figured it was lifters. Figured since I was going to replace the lifters, why not put in a cam, SE adjustable PRs, latest pump and backing plate. I had a thread about the new setup making noise, got that solved by filling the lifters and that was fine. Now this cold start noise is back. Swapped out lifters yesterday thinking maybe I got a bad one, still have the noise, maybe not rattling for a long, but still there. PR adjustment deeper into the lifters makes no difference. And no, I don't think it's anything loose on the outside of the motor. The noise seems to be coming from the front top rocker area. Cam chest side down low is normal amounts of noise.

I'm beginning to wonder if a rocker base or shaft is starting to go? Or the rocker mounting bolts? Only does it on the first start of the day, subsequent starts sound normal. Valve train seems a bit louder with the 465c cam, reminds me of my twin cam. Hauls ***, no indication of any performance issues.

So anyway, if any of you have had rocker problems could chime in your thoughts, I'd appreciate it. In 4 weeks I leave on a 2500 mile trip. Two years ago my twin cam left me stranded in BFE for 4 hours waiting for a flat bed tow truck, so I'm quite spooked with this noise. I don't mind stuff breaking, I just don't want to be out in BFE when it happens. I'd rather not open the rocker boxes, but I'm thinking I should to do an inspection...

Old 04-25-2019, 04:34 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

I can share I have the same noise... its been bugging the crap out of me trying to figure it out

Old 04-25-2019, 04:53 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Sounds like the Heat shields on the exhaust. I'm always re-tightening them as mine does the same. At least sounds the same.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Davidroc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try putting your foot on the floor board

Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,501 Likes on 4,413 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Sounds like the Heat shields on the exhaust. I'm always re-tightening them as mine does the same. At least sounds the same.
exactly was what I was going to say but figured I'd be admonished. lol..mine make that noise initially on cold start up and goes away in a minute..I can press my boot against the left side shield and it will stop

Old 04-25-2019, 05:15 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,095 Likes on 3,499 Posts

Seems like you have a misfire at the same time. My bet is that you have an arcing spark plug wire under the tank. The '17's are known for this. The '18's and up have an additional couple of clips to keep the plug wires from rubbing on the tank. I got some to put on mine the next time I have the tank off.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:27 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll go over the heat shields but I believe they're tight but who knows. I know about how the floorboards can be loose unless really cranked, I'll check that too.

@Strych9, no misfire, that's the 465c cam combined with the fact that I bumped down the cold idle as a test to see how that may have affected things. The 465c is really bumpy at idle. Setting the idle up to near 1000 takes care of that. But I'll have a look at the wires anyway, I'm aware of that issue too.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Loose primary chain? Mine rattled a bit after only 1500miles and sounded pretty similar. Had a hell of a time isolating the noise... it also sounded like it was from the top end. Turned out the auto primary chain adjuster was stuck and needed littled help.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:47 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Check your valve springs, sounds like one broke.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,615 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Check your valve springs, sounds like one broke.
If it broke, it wouldn't run. I know this from experience

Sounds to me like a bad lifter. I also know this from experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Name that noise