Sponsored by:

Transmission Primary Lube Migration

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:49 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,622 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by slinkglide
There are different versions of the deflector and the fix kit that contains the vent also contains the latest version of the deflector.
Here's the vent kit contents, where's the deflector?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM
slinkglide
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Svc Manager told me when my bike was in for migration and they installed the previous version. Meantime MOCO provided the above vent kit and what the Svc Mgr called an updated deflector which he called a wiper gasket. We will see. I am leaving on a 5K+ trip on Monday. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

The Svc Manager told me when my bike was in for migration and they installed the previous version. Meantime MOCO provided the above vent kit and what the Svc Mgr called an updated deflector which he called a wiper gasket. We will see. I am leaving on a 5K+ trip on Monday. Good luck.
I'm guessing he was looking in the wrong section of the P&A Catalog

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
BrandonSmith (05-16-2019), flash1034 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 860 Likes on 482 Posts

Had my vent kit installed 4/18, over 2,000 miles ago. Closest thing to a wiper gasket included with the kit was a new primary gasket. Good luck.....

Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 PM
dinsmoor17
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How can Harley not install a fix unless it transfers at least 5oz in 5k miles ? Any transfer should be unacceptable if it can be fixed. The ridicules thing is they will not sell the repair kit. I cannot see how it would be legal for them not to sell a part that would repair my bike.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 PM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I'm guessing he was looking in the wrong section of the P&A Catalog

now thats too funny

Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

A bit of an update on my migration issue.

I machined my trans side cover and also installed the AIM s/c and corrected all fluid levels. Took the bike on a short 20 mile ride, between rain storms, bike did NOT transfer a drop. Before it would happen instantly, say within 10 miles.

I will continue to monitor fluid levels, but I am HIGHLY confident I have fixed the problem.

Current set up:
1) Machined trans cover.
2) AIM s/c
3) "Fat rod"
4) NO VENT KIT (I machined a passage on the trans cover, my theory is, is that will allow the primary to vent more in line with the HDs original design with the transmission.) Time will tell!

I am also of the opinion that the real "fix" is the machine work on the trans cover. I believe it would work with the stock clutch rod and actuator, although I am unwilling to test this theory merely because I don't have the time to do it. (I am on-call 24/7/365 and my personal time is few and far between.)

My machine work.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

How do you know which "fix" fixed the problem...did you put in the fat rod 1st and that didn't fix it, Or you did both fixes at the same time so you don't know which one corrected the migration?

Old 05-19-2019, 10:24 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

As I posted further up in this thread, the "fat rod" was installed first, but didn't stop transfer. (A UV dye kit was used as well as fluids measured.)

Since the HD dealer can't get me in until June 11th, and they are unclear as to if they can get the Moco to just send the vent kit and install it in a timely manner, I took the issue into my own hands.

With some info I learned on this board as well as HTT and especially Stonecold, I decided on the course of action I have taken.

Also, as stated above, I don't have time to do a complete test of every single possible remedy. I suppose I could pull the "fat rod" and re-install the factory clutch rod to prove a theory since it is an easy swap, but frankly with positive results with what I have done to this point, why bother.

I will continue to monitor my fluid levels, closely. When I get some more miles on the bike I will post in this thread whether or not anything has changed.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcraig
As I posted further up in this thread, the "fat rod" was installed first, but didn't stop transfer. (A UV dye kit was used as well as fluids measured.)

Since the HD dealer can't get me in until June 11th, and they are unclear as to if they can get the Moco to just send the vent kit and install it in a timely manner, I took the issue into my own hands.

With some info I learned on this board as well as HTT and especially Stonecold, I decided on the course of action I have taken.

Also, as stated above, I don't have time to do a complete test of every single possible remedy. I suppose I could pull the "fat rod" and re-install the factory clutch rod to prove a theory since it is an easy swap, but frankly with positive results with what I have done to this point, why bother.

I will continue to monitor my fluid levels, closely. When I get some more miles on the bike I will post in this thread whether or not anything has changed.
Yeah I know, time is at a premium for a lot of us...just would have been nice to know if relieving the inner case stopped the transfer...hopefully someone will try it so we will know for sure if we have another option to pick from...

Also, sorry as you did state all above in a previous post and missed I it...

Last edited by bradsULtd; 05-20-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Primary Lube Migration