Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Primary Lube Migration

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 05:20 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

OK...school me. I also have the dreaded migration issue, seems common enough to have a recall but that's another story.

It looks like the oil migration is transferring through the clutch rod passage due to low pressure (suction on the primary side). Correct??
The solution is either break the vacuum (vent) on the primary AND restrict the clutch rod passage with a fat rod..Correct?

If this is all true, it seems a combination of the two would (should) be a 100% solution, but shouldn't the fat rod have a seal of some sort to prevent the migration? Any oversize clearance would allow transfer if the pressure is not equal.

I don't have cases in front of me to study but, does the clutch release rod simply run through the gear box supported on either side from the slave and the clutch pack on the primary side?

I'm trying to get my head around this crap. What a PITA that we have to re-engineer a frigg'n brand new motor for MoCo.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:27 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Not to be a PITA dude but this has been discussed in tons of threads already. The more you read the more you may learn...…..we all had to do it. All your answers are there in multiple threads.

Your bike is brand new, do you really want to start messing with fixes that may or may not work and possibly void your NEW warranty? Work with a GOOD dealer and have the vent installed, easiest cheapest and factory warranty intact attempt to fix. Just my opinion...….if it don't work, you can decide which fix to try next. I have not heard of a factory vent fix that has not fixed the issue as of yet...….just sayin...….

Good Luck
Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 05-01-2019 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bradsULtd (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 05:38 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree...sorry for the inconvenience. I've had the bike 4 weeks and did the first service (myself) yesterday. It came as quite a shock and I'm still shaking my head. From the sound of it, I'm not the only one frustrated.
No worries and good luck...

Campy Roadie (05-03-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
I agree...sorry for the inconvenience. I've had the bike 4 weeks and did the first service (myself) yesterday. It came as quite a shock and I'm still shaking my head. From the sound of it, I'm not the only one frustrated.
No worries and good luck...
Many of us feel your pain man, it does suck. I am on the 3rd fix in 2 1/2 years, all under warranty. If this one don't fix it, LEMON LAW...…….another PITA. I have the early vent fix but the weather has not allowed me to test it yet...……..best of luck to all of us!

Eagle Out

Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

You're slacking in the maintenance department for exceeding 1000 miles.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:37 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson

OK...school me. I also have the dreaded migration issue, seems common enough to have a recall but that's another story.

Short story...

What we know-

When the M8 trans design came out with the hydraulic clutch, there was a change made somewhere (many theories, nothing definitive on cause yet) that causes SOME bikes to have oil migrate from the trans to the primary. It travels through the hollow main shaft, that houses the clutch pushrod and is supposed to vent the primary, to the trans, which has vent to the atmosphere.

Some have it, some don't. Some have it real bad, some have a little. Some have had it and it magically stopped. Some have gone 20K miles without it and it suddenly started..

What's been done-

Even though no former Harley ever transferred trans fluid from the trans to the primary before, the MoCo to limit their cost/liability have now changed the spec to 6oz transfer in 5k miles is normal. They changed the spec a couple times, so the amount/mileage may have changed. (NOTE: a few twin cams had a transfer issue, but a cause/fix was identified)

The MoCo has come out with several fixes. None of them have worked 100%. The latest, the vent, seems to be their ace in the hole, but although many say it stopped their oil migration, several have reported it hasn't worked for them...

There is one aftermarket fix available. It's a fat, clutch pushrod that replaces the OEM piece... it has been used by many, and I've yet to read/hear about someone who has used it and it hasn't worked.

What's contemplated-

There are many threads discussing the possible/probable cause. Many smarter than me have theories that make sense to me... but it is generally accepted that no one knows for sure, and it's probably a combination of causes..

Summary:

That's a down & dirty recap, certainly not comprehensive..... if you search this forum, you will have many hours of reading to be totally educated...

Hopefully, you will be one of the many who gets it fixed by the MoCo...

Since it you hadn't heard about the M8 issues before you bought your bike, do yourself a favor, and for peace of mind, don't search "M8 engine sumping".

Last edited by hattitude; 05-02-2019 at 08:47 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by hattitude:
Campy Roadie (05-03-2019), HotRod917 (05-02-2019), southerncannuck (05-02-2019), stixvrad (05-16-2019), TheKeeper (06-04-2019), Toe Knee (05-25-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,372 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

Since it you haven't heard about the oil transfer issue before you bought your bike, do yourself a favor, and for peace of mind, don't search "M8 engine sumping"...
I see what you did there, lol!

The following 2 users liked this post by 702:
Campy Roadie (05-03-2019), hattitude (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:14 AM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Since it you hadn't heard about the M8 issues before you bought your bike, do yourself a favor, and for peace of mind, don't search "M8 engine sumping".
.....sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't spoil it. His next thread was

Have '19 CVO, 1786 Miles, Lost Power, Very Hot, Smelled Like Burnt Oil, Coasted Off The Side Of The Road

Campy Roadie (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 829 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Many of us feel your pain man, it does suck. I am on the 3rd fix in 2 1/2 years, all under warranty. If this one don't fix it, LEMON LAW...…….another PITA. I have the early vent fix but the weather has not allowed me to test it yet...……..best of luck to all of us!
Eagle Out
I'll be getting the vent kit installed, Moco sent it today to my dealer. My dealer is slammed right now but is making space for me. I should get the bike back early next week and I'll report back after I rack up some miles. Mine was excessive with 900 miles there were 9 ounces of transfer.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:40 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

ok, throwing this out there...BUT, I don't recall in the 2 years since I started this whole conversation anybody with a trike ever reporting this problem and I've probably read as many posts as anyone on this..my wife's trike has never lost a drop of trans fluid but my Road King has experienced minimal amounts..the obvious differences being trikes never lean over...

Quick Reply: Transmission Primary Lube Migration