Sponsored by:

Transmission Primary Lube Migration

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Out of curiosity are you referring to folks that had the first primary vents that came out? Because I do remember reading how those were hit and a few miss. But from what I understand this new vent that they are installing is not the same design as the original one they were using, so it may garner different results.
While the design is different, the purpose is the same.
However, if you look at all the pics of the vent kits that were installed by some of the roving regional master tech reps, the location of where the kits are installed on the primary is different.

I have no clue if that makes a difference or not.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:40 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcraig
While the design is different, the purpose is the same.
However, if you look at all the pics of the vent kits that were installed by some of the roving regional master tech reps, the location of where the kits are installed on the primary is different.

I have no clue if that makes a difference or not.
I thought the first HD vent kit was a "Transmission" vent and the new one is now venting the "Primary". Is that incorrect?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I've read a couple people post it hasn't worked for them....... so it doesn't appear to be 100%.... viable fix for most, but still not addressing the actual problem..

IMHO the vent is an example of a band-aide fix.... None of the shovel heads, EVOs, or Twin Cams needed to add an additional vent (the primary already vents to the trans via the main shaft and then to the atmosphere through the trans vent) to avoid fluid transfer. Additionally it only seems to happen to the M8 hydraulic clutch models.... so the problem has to be in the changes made in the clutch actuator section of the trans.... The MoCo is choosing to install a vent, when someone complains, instead of doing a redesign to fix the real problem.... I wonder what happens when someone starts to transfer fluid after the warranty is done... Oh yeah, they'll have the vent kit available to purchase....

Yeah, I'm tilting at windmills.... but it just doesn't sit right with me.....

Really ?no vents on shovels ....lol. Guess I see bunch’s of rare ones...( that’s a factory vent by the way not and Oiler)They all vented one way or another . Think about what you said....the one with a cable don’t transfer....that’s because they have a big long vent up to handle bars. These farm tractors have had a long line of f ups from day one. If you wanted perfect.....you didn’t do your homework. Shovels pissed oil all over the ground till we as individuals fixed them. EVOs sucked up the cam bearing and blew the cases apart...we fixed that.Twin cams ate cam tensioner and blew the motor up.Or crank came unglued...Compensators banged like hell...we fixed em with aftermarket. So if you do your homework and are pissed about MOCO protocol ......u must be real new too these over priced fram tractors or like sitting at a dealer arguing over high priced extended worthless warranty...lmao.

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 06-04-2019 at 09:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bumpandrun:
neon65 (06-04-2019), Silentgreyfellow (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

^^^ Um, wouldn't the clutch cable be a transmission vent, and not a primary vent?

Old 06-04-2019, 12:08 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabchuck
^^^ Um, wouldn't the clutch cable be a transmission vent, and not a primary vent?
Nope, the clutch is in the primary. The cable goes straight into the primary cover.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:18 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Nope, the clutch is in the primary. The cable goes straight into the primary cover.
Nope. The cable goes in the same place as the hydraulic version - in the trans side cover.

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
....the one with a cable don’t transfer....that’s because they have a big long vent up to handle bars. These farm tractors have had a long line of f ups from day one. If you wanted perfect.....you didn’t do your homework.
The cable actuated clutch does not transfer because the trans side plate is different than the hydraulic cover - in comparison the space between the cover and the trans main shaft mouth is miles away, and it has a built in oil deflector.
The cable going to the handlebars and "acting like a vent" has nothing to do with it. The trans already has a vent. More "vent" on the trans side does nothing to stop the transfer...primary side maybe.

Furthermore, you keep saying these are farm tractors. They couldn't be further from a farm tractor - diesel for one.
Not an easy engine to work on and completely different than a 2 cylinder single pin, gas, 45 degree v-twin. So I don't get your reference.

Last edited by lp; 06-04-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Nope. The cable goes in the same place as the hydraulic version - in the trans side cover.

The cable actuated clutch does not transfer because the trans side plate is different than the hydraulic cover - in comparison the space between the cover and the trans main shaft mouth is miles away, and it has a built in oil deflector.
The cable going to the handlebars and "acting like a vent" has nothing to do with it. The trans already has a vent. More "vent" on the trans side does nothing to stop the transfer...primary side maybe.

Furthermore, you keep saying these are farm tractors. They couldn't be further from a farm tractor - diesel for one.
Not an easy engine to work on and completely different than a 2 cylinder single pin, gas, 45 degree v-twin. So I don't get your reference.
Probably referring to the old John Deere two cylinder V-Twin motor, although it was a 90 degree. Had a distinctive sound. Not quite like a Harley.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:43 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I thought the first HD vent kit was a "Transmission" vent and the new one is now venting the "Primary". Is that incorrect?
Yep.

Both vents are installed on the inner primary cover, just different positions.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Probably referring to the old John Deere two cylinder V-Twin motor, although it was a 90 degree. Had a distinctive sound. Not quite like a Harley.
Who knows. Totally off subject, my father in law was a John Deere/farm mechanic for over 60 years.
I visited his shop (in BFE Arkansas) once or twice a year for 20 years and took much inspiration from him and the hard working men sweating their asses off. These men did a lot to build America.
Nothing was easy. It was nearly all of it hard work, and everything could kill you. Nothing like an air conditioned Boutique Harley service center or some Indy working bikes out of their garage.
They had tools the size of cars. The only thing I ever saw that was gas powered was maybe a lawn mower.

Last edited by lp; 06-04-2019 at 05:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RK14SGS (06-04-2019)