Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   M8 107 Zippers 468 D&D getting 30 mpg. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1282419-m8-107-zippers-468-d-and-d-getting-30-mpg.html)

Northside 05-03-2019 07:48 PM

M8 107 Zippers 468 D&D getting 30 mpg.

When the warranty ran out on my '07 RGS I did a Zippers Red Shift 468 cam with S&S lifters, the latest sealed oil pump and a D&D Billet Cat. I had a local dealer dyno it on a license with Power Vision. I picked it up and it ran great! 103 hp and 120 torque. On the way home my check engine light came on. Code was rich mixture on the rear cylinder. I made an appointment to have it fixed and rode it for a few days. It seemed to burn a lot of gas. I checked the mileage by filling it and riding 120 miles in varied ways. Some freeway some boulevard cruising. I hardly ever rode over 3000 rpm and was light on the throttle. It burned 4 gallons in `I20 miles or 30 mpg. It runs and sounds fantastic! I took it back they re dynoed it and now the check engine light doesn't come on, but now I get a whopping 33 mpg. That seems ridiculous. I have a hot little Fat Boy with a 95 kit that has 10 1/2 to 1 compression a .590 lift cam and a 45 m.m. Mikuni, and it hardly changed the mileage at all, is faster than my RGS and goes a long way on a tank of gas.

Does this sound like unacceptable mileage to you guys? Would I be better off getting my own Power Vision from Fuel Moto and getting it pre programmed for my set up? I really don't want to deal with this dealer ever again.

cmashark 05-03-2019 08:15 PM

Get your own PV so you can at least look at the tune and use your narrow bands to reel in the cruise area. Order it from Fuel Moto and see if they have a base map for you to use

cmashark 05-03-2019 08:20 PM

What area are you in?

Northside 05-03-2019 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by cmashark (Post 18230928)
What area are you in?

I'm in Colorado at about 5300 ft. altitude. We had a great dyno tuner here, I know him personally, but he went out of business. I know another guy who is good, but his shop is quite a distance. The dealership I used is close so I took a chance. I have the money to get this straight. I love the way the bike sounds and runs, but this is not going to get it. It's just an upgraded cam, intake, and exhaust, it shouldn't be such a drastic change in gas consumption..

DTTJGlide 05-03-2019 11:03 PM

That's unacceptable mileage, especially at that altitude, it's not good for it running that rich. You can talk to FM & see what they say about a canned tune, it's tough since you're at that altitude, there's a very good tuner in KC if you're interested in going that far, good tuners are few & far between. I'd do something with it for sure, good luck.

crackerbiker 05-04-2019 06:18 AM

My 107 with 468 cam, Fullsac headers, V & H slip ons, running a Thundermax tuner runs great and gets 38 mpg, about 5% less than stock motor.

Bumpandrun 05-04-2019 09:07 AM

Yep a touch rich.... 38 on low end 44on the high end with mileage keeps you close on average mods.....lower it’s rich. Higher it’s lean. Has to be checked like you did not by computer..... mine gets real 42 and shows 50 on stupid boom.

Max Headflow 05-04-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by crackerbiker (Post 18231565)
My 107 with 468 cam, Fullsac headers, V & H slip ons, running a Thundermax tuner runs great and gets 38 mpg, about 5% less than stock motor.

Some of that is the Tmax as the timing is throttle position sensed instead of MAP.

VDeuce 05-04-2019 02:17 PM

I have to wonder about intake leaks. There was another guy here recently with way rich tune and it ended up being intake seals trashed.

Northside 05-04-2019 07:01 PM

I may have it solved. I found an independent Dyno Shop run by a guy who is a friend of my old tuner. He told me to get the Power Vision license info on a thumb drive and he'd fix it. I went to the Dealer where it was tuned to get my license info in a rather bad mood! The Service writer said give him a minute. He went into the service area. When he returned he said the guy who tuned my bike wasn't the normal dyno tuner. The guy who normally does tunes said that the guy who did mine has only done a few bikes, and always tunes "really fat." The regular tuner asked to do my bike, and promised he could straighten it out. I said I'd give them one last chance, but what they gave me so far was unacceptable. So I'll let them do it. If that doesn't work, I get my money back and license info so I can get it done by the new shop. They let an inexperienced guy tune my bike! It runs fantastic, and sounds terrific, so I know it'll be worth it when it's finally right.