Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:06 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by tdoggz
Excellent work and findings here Jamie. You guys have given me the confidence in my recent purchase from Fuel Moto. When we spend this kind of money we always look for the most bang for the buck. These kind of post are great for this! Thank you!! Looking forward to my Stage 2 w/ Jackpot 2-1-2 Stainless Steel Headers, S&S MK45's, Zipper's Redshift 468 cam,, S$S Pushrod's, tappets, tappet guides.
Thank you for the feedback, that will be a great combination. Glad we could help.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Fuel moto,

Will cvo muffler heat shields fit on your street outlaws? I saw one of your recent pics of a customers cvo and it had heat shields on the header but not on the street outlaws (black), looked pretty weird. They are 4 inch so I assume they would fit or am I incorrect? Thanks.
The CVO shields will not fit most aftermarket 4” mufflers including the current Jackpots as the forward profile of the muffler is different and they will not clamp on properly in most applications. You best bet is to take a shield to the dealer and see if they have an assortment of mufflers they can try to match one to fit. We just went thru that here a couple weeks back with the CVO customer you are referring to, we have about 20 assorted mufflers here on display and could not come up with a perfect match. Our earlier generation Hi Roller mufflers did work with the CVO shields but they are long gone

Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The CVO shields will not fit most aftermarket 4” mufflers including the current Jackpots as the forward profile of the muffler is different and they will not clamp on properly in most applications. You best bet is to take a shield to the dealer and see if they have an assortment of mufflers they can try to match one to fit. We just went thru that here a couple weeks back with the CVO customer you are referring to, we have about 20 assorted mufflers here on display and could not come up with a perfect match. Our earlier generation Hi Roller mufflers did work with the CVO shields but they are long gone

I had to spread the shield open a little on the front side but they fit my current 4 inchers, do you think they will fit with a little modification to the shield? This pic is a look down my muffler at the baffle, does this design look like a low end killer to you?

Last edited by Quik; 05-14-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:05 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Currently running the Bassani DNTs on a stock Road Glide Special. Since these have the 3-stage baffle design you mentioned, would you think it advantageous to install Thunder Torque Inserts or something similar?

Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Currently running the Bassani DNTs on a stock Road Glide Special. Since these have the 3-stage baffle design you mentioned, would you think it advantageous to install Thunder Torque Inserts or something similar?
When I was running the DNT's I did install the TTI's and it did seem the low end was OK, but on a stock bike I didn't feel they were that bad to begin with, but I was still running the cat. When Steve Cole and I did the cam test I decatted the stock head pipe and installed the bolt on Fullsac cores on a set of stock cans. After the testing I installed the DNT's and I can't remember if they already had the TTI's installed or if I installed the TTI's after this. When I had 2" Fullsac cores installed by Fullsac in a set of stock cans I changed to those mufflers. I think there may have been a slight gain in the low end torque, but it wasn't something that was easy to tell. If you feel the DNT's have robbed you of some low end I would try the TTI's. Maybe you'll be able to tell a significant difference. One thing I did notice with the TTI's is that the sound improved, hard to believe, but true. They seem to get more of a bass sound.

If I ever get around to doing my 117" big bore and get to do some cam testing with Steve, I wanted to install the DNT's with the TTI's and without to see how the performance looks compared to stock with Fullsac cores.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (05-16-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

WTH, you never hear about Thunderheader or Patriot anymore. Has anyone done any testing with TH on the M8 because since installing mine it's like a brand new bike. I had a complete Rinehart 4.5" exhaust system and it was worthless. It's for sale too in case anyone is interested. Great pipe

Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 AM
Professor123
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by $tonecold
When I was running the DNT's I did install the TTI's and it did seem the low end was OK, but on a stock bike I didn't feel they were that bad to begin with, but I was still running the cat. When Steve Cole and I did the cam test I decatted the stock head pipe and installed the bolt on Fullsac cores on a set of stock cans. After the testing I installed the DNT's and I can't remember if they already had the TTI's installed or if I installed the TTI's after this. When I had 2" Fullsac cores installed by Fullsac in a set of stock cans I changed to those mufflers. I think there may have been a slight gain in the low end torque, but it wasn't something that was easy to tell. If you feel the DNT's have robbed you of some low end I would try the TTI's. Maybe you'll be able to tell a significant difference. One thing I did notice with the TTI's is that the sound improved, hard to believe, but true. They seem to get more of a bass sound.

If I ever get around to doing my 117" big bore and get to do some cam testing with Steve, I wanted to install the DNT's with the TTI's and without to see how the performance looks compared to stock with Fullsac cores.
By "TTI" I assume you mean torque tube insert. I am asking if these were installed in the HEADPIPE or the MUFFLER?
If they were installed in the muffler I would like to know more, particularly where in the muffler (inlet or outlet) and which direction?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by goose222
I would like to know what mufflers were tested
I agree!

Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Professor123
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was unaware the thunder torque inserts could be installed in the MUFFLER, I thought they could only be used in the HEADPIPE. Please tell me more about this, especially placement (inlet or outlet) and direction.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Where and how did you install the TTIs in the DNTs?

Quick Reply: Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*