Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*

Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,395 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
WTH, you never hear about Thunderheader or Patriot anymore. Has anyone done any testing with TH on the M8 because since installing mine it's like a brand new bike. I had a complete Rinehart 4.5" exhaust system and it was worthless. It's for sale too in case anyone is interested. Great pipe
Thunderheaders work just fine on M8's. I've tested them on more than a few but they are just to loud for my liking. If I were trying to do a dyno shoot out setup I would most likely be running one as they perform right at the top of the bunch. I guess I'm just getting too old to like that noise level when going for a relaxing ride.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Thunderheaders work just fine on M8's. I've tested them on more than a few but they are just to loud for my liking. If I were trying to do a dyno shoot out setup I would most likely be running one as they perform right at the top of the bunch. I guess I'm just getting too old to like that noise level when going for a relaxing ride.

Steve, thank you. Took me 6 weeks to get my pipe and I'm probably bias but it's by far the best sounding M8 I've run across. I ride with cotton in my ears, always have, old school.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik

I had to spread the shield open a little on the front side but they fit my current 4 inchers, do you think they will fit with a little modification to the shield? This pic is a look down my muffler at the baffle, does this design look like a low end killer to you?
I'm not 100% clear what i'm looking at. What is the size of the core and is it stepped? As far as the shields the profile & taper is different on the inlet side of our mufflers than the OEM mufflers so the shields do not clamp on properly, it may be possible with some modification however we have not tried that.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Currently running the Bassani DNTs on a stock Road Glide Special. Since these have the 3-stage baffle design you mentioned, would you think it advantageous to install Thunder Torque Inserts or something similar?
If you are running the stock cam the DNT baffles may be acceptable, however I would expect there would be low RPM gains with an insert of sorts.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
One must be careful in looking at pictures, as the way they get shown effects the way they look. Just the same as looking at a print in Landscape versus Portrait. The same data looks different when you use a Wide Screen Monitor versus a Normal Monitor.
I've heard this before, and I think I understand what you're saying. For me to compare apple to apples I need to (and I have in some cases) built a matrix of tabulated data to compare the data points of Hp/Tq at a given RPM then try to compare those numbers with what I see, hear and feel riding my current build for example if I roll on the throttle at 2000 RPM at a given gear selection and wheel speed and it bogs, I would expect the motor to be happier with bigger numbers in that rpm range in the same riding conditions. It's just more work to compare the data points. More about the data points an less about the shape of the curve!
Am I missing something?

Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

This may sound stupid, but I don't care what a dyno sheet say's, if i twist the throttle and the bike immediately stands up, I'm happy with what I got.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oldskewl:
fuelmoto (05-14-2019), saddlebag (10-08-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
I'm not 100% clear what i'm looking at. What is the size of the core and is it stepped? As far as the shields the profile & taper is different on the inlet side of our mufflers than the OEM mufflers so the shields do not clamp on properly, it may be possible with some modification however we have not tried that.

That is a pic looking into my muffler from the end cap. This is magnaflows description....

The 4" Knockout with its stepped perforated core produce unmatched deep, throaty, powerful sound quality and is the ideal choice for tuned or stock engines.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Durwood 1
Advanced
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Excellent examples of what the large core mufflers do to a torque curve once a cam with some overlap is added.

I see this all too often, a guy wants to add a cam, then doesn't understand why I suggest changing out his mufflers.

I like the Fullsac 2" cores, but that's a hassle, as to do them right and not cut the end of the can off, they have to be shipped.

The FM Outlaw mufflers with the inserts staying intact are my go to off the shelf muffler on anything using a 2-1-2 exhaust.

Inexpensive and effective.

Last edited by Durwood 1; 05-14-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by Durwood 1:
fuelmoto (05-14-2019), MTBIG G (05-14-2019), RinTin (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Steve, thank you. Took me 6 weeks to get my pipe and I'm probably bias but it's by far the best sounding M8 I've run across. I ride with cotton in my ears, always have, old school.
Don't get me wrong they sound great for a hotrod, but a nice relaxing ride up the coast and into the canyons versus out bar hopping has me wanting something a little more quite at my age (64). The last TH I had, I used those foam ear plugs but after loosing one on several different rides over the years, cotton was the old stand by. I've been doing EFI development and tuning longer than most in this industry and when we were hired by HD factory to do EFI development and tuning for them back in ~early 1995 seems like just yesterday. Good parts will perform across the board when installed by many different shops. Look around at various installs by more than one shop to find what the average really is, would be the best advise I can give to people.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by Beartooth Rider
I've heard this before, and I think I understand what you're saying. For me to compare apple to apples I need to (and I have in some cases) built a matrix of tabulated data to compare the data points of Hp/Tq at a given RPM then try to compare those numbers with what I see, hear and feel riding my current build for example if I roll on the throttle at 2000 RPM at a given gear selection and wheel speed and it bogs, I would expect the motor to be happier with bigger numbers in that rpm range in the same riding conditions. It's just more work to compare the data points. More about the data points an less about the shape of the curve!
Am I missing something?
The only thing your missing is the understanding on how the dyno is run, can and will change the results shown on the graph. By looking for the real data at a given point and comparing that from chart to chart many times will open peoples eyes. If you preload the dyno to hold the engine at a fixed set point then release the dyno load for the run, changes the starting RPM area. This is due to the stored energy in the dyno effecting the shown output. Only problem with doing it that way is, it's not what you get in real life from the bike when you ride it. So there are plenty of ways that dyno charts can be very misleading and its just why I recommend that you look for several charts to compare to, from several different shops. This will give you a better average to expect what your bike will really perform like.

The following users liked this post:
Beartooth Rider (05-14-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*